OT: Chris Paul trade thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far, it seems that Miami is most interested. Charles Barkley said that Milwaukee should try to get him, but it looks like they do not have the salaries to match up.

Here is my outside the box idea.

Kyle Lowry for Chris Paul. Not sure which way picks should go to even it out, probably from OKC to Toronto. Toronto stretches their window a little hoping CP3 has a little more dominance than he showed in Houston (deferring to Harden) and OKC gets a good pg with only a year left on his deal.

Any other ideas?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To CHA for Batum and Zeller. OKC gets shorter contracts, Paul returns home. Jordan gets a replacement of Kemba.

To DET for Jackson, Snell and Galloway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Chris Paul giving the Raptors that much of a bump over Kyle Lowry who produced in the playoffs and his contract is expiring.

The Mavericks seem like a logical destination for Paul but Dragic might be a better fit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To CHA for Batum and Zeller. OKC gets shorter contracts, Paul returns home. Jordan gets a replacement of Kemba.

To DET for Jackson, Snell and Galloway.
CHA makes a lot of sense but Paul is a shell of the player he once was. He has gotten old fast and is constantly injured. I know people say Westbrook will be a bad fit in HOU because of he is a ball dominant player just like Harden but HOU won that trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So far, it seems that Miami is most interested. Charles Barkley said that Milwaukee should try to get him, but it looks like they do not have the salaries to match up.

Here is my outside the box idea.

Kyle Lowry for Chris Paul. Not sure which way picks should go to even it out, probably from OKC to Toronto. Toronto stretches their window a little hoping CP3 has a little more dominance than he showed in Houston (deferring to Harden) and OKC gets a good pg with only a year left on his deal.

Any other ideas?
That’s an unmitigated disaster trade for Toronto.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That’s an unmitigated disaster trade for Toronto.

Toronto rolled the dice and won a title.
I hope their fans enjoy that.
Now they are stuck in the dreaded in between place where you can’t get better until you get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now they are stuck in the dreaded in between place where you can’t get better until you get worse.

Toronto still has a very good team. They might need to make some changes but they have the guns to reload rather than rebuild. They should contend in the east.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardaway, Lee for Paul but if I'm the Mavericks, at this point of the rebuilding that is still too much money owed to Paul.

Chris Paul's salary is a burden for sure. I like your idea of Hardaway and Lee for Paul.

OKC would need to sweeten the trade by offering draft picks to make it more attractive for Dallas.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the Mavs would want Paul. They're in a similar situation to us.

If Porzingis were 100% healthy it would make some sense but I understand the Mavericks are going to be watching his playing time so I can see them hesitating.

Doncic, Paul and a healthy Porzingis would be pretty good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agree. But Paul only makes that in between place worse. Much worse.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: 'No appetite' among some NBA teams to take on final year of Chris Paul deal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...of-chris-paul-deal/ar-AAEmBou?ocid=spartanntp

The Oklahoma City Thunder are having a hard time finding anyone to take Chris Paul’s contract off their hands.

According to Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders, based on conversations with NBA general managers, there is “almost no appetite” around the league to touch Paul’s contract, particularly the $44 million player option in 2021-22.

Paul will be 37 years old by the time that deal expires.

Having talked with a few GMs, there is almost no appetite for the final year of CP3's deal. My understanding is the Thunder may have to shovel over several picks to get a team to look at that cap hit. Today, I think he starts the season in OKC. https://t.co/CmxE04TKaa

— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) July 15, 2019

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO Chris Paul is going to accept a buyout and go play for the LA Lakers.
I don't think OKC will do that. They will keep trying to find takers in trade for him. The incentive they would need to offer him a buyout would be much greater than Paul would be willing to accept.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would take a title in those circumstances for the Suns in a heartbeat.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For OKC to even consider a buyout I would think Paul would need to be willing to give up somewhere between 25-33% of his remaining salary and I can't see that happening.

I wonder if any other aging stars see what's going on with Paul now and think twice before signing a supermax deal. I doubt it keeps anyone from signing one but I think players will look to protect themselves a little more with no trade clauses or option years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For OKC to even consider a buyout I would think Paul would need to be willing to give up somewhere between 25-33% of his remaining salary and I can't see that happening.

I wonder if any other aging stars see what's going on with Paul now and think twice before signing a supermax deal. I doubt it keeps anyone from signing one but I think players will look to protect themselves a little more with no trade clauses or option years.
Even if he forfeits 35%, that still leaves OKC on the hook for over 80m. That is a HUGE chunk of money to pay someone, even over 3 years. That's why it's moot if Paul is ok with forfeiting 35% of his remaining salary. OKC would have to be ok with having to deal with the 80m that's remaining.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Could he decline his fourth-year player option?
Sure he could, but that's leaving 40m off the table, basically the 35% Hoop Head was talking about. But OKC would still be on the hook for the 80m over the next 2 years. And how would that work--can a player decline a player option 3 years before it actually takes effect?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure he could, but that's leaving 40m off the table, basically the 35% Hoop Head was talking about. But OKC would still be on the hook for the 80m over the next 2 years. And how would that work--can a player decline a player option 3 years before it actually takes effect?
I think it probably could be done.

But Paul is not going to do that unless he can make up that income somewhere else. If he could find a team willing to sign him for 3/40 or so, then I could see him declining that fourth year option. But there is no team that is going to be willing to pay him that, and no one has the cap space to do so anyway.

OKC's only hope is to take back multiple shorter contracts--that are still bad contracts. A team that is taking a shot at a title or wants to make a big splash with a big free agent might take a shot. But those would only be Miami, the Knicks, maybe Toronto. The Lakers would go for it of course, but they have nothing to trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IMO Chris Paul is going to accept a buyout and go play for the LA Lakers.
How can he possibly leave all that money on the table. He has years left on his contract. No way OKC pays millions for years.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
OKC has alot of picks right now , don't know how many they'd have to attach to get rid of him but it could actually be worth a chance if at the trade deadline the sun's are showing no signs of getting better

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose