Supplementary Draft pick 5th rounder - Jalen Thompson

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is a solid selection as some rated him a round 4 talent or slightly better. He fits the Cards’ need to cover slot receivers and tight ends. He has good speed, good hand and excellent agility. He’ll need to add muscle to be an effective NFL run defender but his tackling form is solid. He has plenty of aggressiveness. All this is not to say he’s elite yet. His aggressiveness can cause him to take himself out of plays. He’s also sometimes gets fooled by play action.

He apparently was flagged for a banned substance and lost his final year of eligibility.
This echos what I have heard and read. He can be an option as a nickel CB which can enable Baker to stay at S as much as possible.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our safety group looks really good on paper for a team that is rebuilding our depth.

DJ Swearinger (7th yr)
Budda Baker (3rd yr)
Rudy Ford (3rd yr)
Deionte Thompson - R
Jalen Thompson - R

Josh Shaw (size/speed vet) (5th yr)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was from Bordow's projected 53 a few weeks ago.

I am guessing they all make it but when Peterson comes back week 7 Jones is out

DB (10) Patrick Peterson, Robert Alford, Byron Murphy, Budda Baker, D.J. Swearinger, Tramaine Brock Sr., Josh Shaw, Rudy Ford, Chris Jones, Deionte Thompson

Peterson will not count against the 53-man roster during his six-week suspenion, so it won’t be a surprise if Keim picks up a cornerback off the waiver wire. There also could be some movement at the bottom of this list. Shaw likely makes it as a slot corner with Murphy moving to the outside while Peterson is out, but Jones is by no means a lock. Thompson, the team’s fifth-round draft choice out of Alabama, makes it as a special-teams player.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that this pick was the final part of the Rosen trade

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-cardin...n-thompson-in-the-2019-nfl-supplemental-draft

The Washington State product, who was tagged as a second-round talent in our preseason 2020 NFL Draft Guide by PFF’s lead draft analyst Mike Renner, will cost fifth-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, per the supplemental draft rules — one of the picks acquired by the team’s jettisoning of signal-caller Josh Rosen.

Now the question becomes how the new Thompson fits into the picture out in the desert.

[Editor’s note: The preseason 2020 NFL Draft Guide will be made available to PFF Edge and Elite subscribers on August 12.]

You must be registered for see images attach

“Coverage is king in today’s NFL and Thompson brings an intriguing mix of slot and deep coverage ability that will be covered by two-high heavy defenses.” — Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner.

Prior to Wednesday’s draft, Renner noted that defensive coordinators that play a lot of split field coverages would be the ones who would covet Thompson’s skill set. Arguably his biggest strength is his ability to match routes from the type of deep-off position safeties see in quarters coverage and its many variations. In Vance Joseph’s defense, that type of ability is required from his safeties.

The Washington State Thompson is a much more seamless fit to a role Joseph’s defense than Alabama’s Thompson early on. Not only because of that off-coverage ability, but also because of Jalen Thompson’s ability to play man coverage over the slot and on tight ends. Will Parks played a good deal of nickel/dime safety in the Denver Broncos’ defense a season ago and the newly added safety looks like the favorite to fill a similar role with the Cardinals.

All in all, we thought the Cardinals got a steal in the 20-year-old safety. With his biggest knock at the moment being his size, another year in a weight room could have done wonders for his draft stock, but even without that we still would have been willing to add the safety to any roster in the NFL prior to the fifth round. Given the success rate of fifth-rounders leaguewide, adding the player who led all college safeties in forced incompletions last season is well worth the risk.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the pick but he did get busted for something ...so easy on the kool aid steal pick for now
Bad habits tend to show themselves over time

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand why we drafted him. Why we need him. We have Kyler.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We won’t be picking first in the 5th round next year :mrgreen:

I do like him better the Deonte Thompson though. I think he’s slightly bigger & a better hitter.

We actually still might be..... We got a 5th rounder from Miami in the Rosen deal.

I'm struggling to understand why we drafted him. Why we need him. We have Kyler.

I love this thought process. #IgnoresSarcasm

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave