OT: Russell Westbrook trade thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC has now lost 4 legit superstars, in their primes, in a little over 5 years. They have a lot of assets but rough time to be an OKC fan. Not that I feel all that bad for em... that franchise should be in Seattle. Their owner secretly sucks, he screwed Seattle and he's a cheapskate. We whine about Sarver and finances... they lost Harden over a difference of 2 million a year and while they had the amnesty clause in their pocket and Kendrick Perkins bloated corpse taking up cap space.

I don't think it's a secret anymore. We'll see them exposed now that they don't have generational talent anymore to bail him out. They'll never replace their original core of KD, Russ, Harden, and Ibaka. They haven't even replaced Ibaka.

They have a lot of picks and maybe Presti can do something with them but best case scenario is they get another 3-4 All-Star level players that they'll need to pray can win a title before they have to pay more than 2 of them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 rumors are heating up he ends up in Miami after this deal.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the trade and think the Rockets will do well. IMO, they have improved without losing anything.Westbrook is far better than Paul. He was teammates with Harden at OKC. They will work together just fine.They will be hard to stop.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So could Chris Paul end up in Miami. OKC would likely get Dragic back plus even more assets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Poor banana boat Paul . . . he missed his buddies in Miami a few years too late.

And again I’ll ask . . . what can Miami possibly trade?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OKC would be lucky if one of their 14 picks turns out as good as Westbrook.
15 picks. And they only have to hit on two or three to successfully reset - but 7 years could be a long time to wait if it takes all those.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Poor banana boat Paul . . . he missed his buddies in Miami a few years too late.

In the deal they were working on for Russ, Miami was hesistant to part with 2 of the 3 players asked for, Herro, Bam Adebayo, and Justise Winslow. I imagine a deal for Paul will require the same things since they're still dealing with OKC. I guess it's a matter of whether or not Riley views Paul higher than Westbrook. I think he fits better with Jimmy Butler but I think Russ' contract was more in line with what he brings to the table than Paul.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...reluctant-to-include-two-certain-players-per/

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I do not think OKC has any interest in keeping CP3. I would hate to see them waive him--which is unthinkable given his contract. I would think OKC would be willing to take just about any package of equivalent salaries, especially contracts of two years or less.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I do not think OKC has any interest in keeping CP3. I would hate to see them waive him--which is unthinkable given his contract. I would think OKC would be willing to take just about any package of equivalent salaries, especially contracts of two years or less.

It's almost inconceivable that Paul will handle this professionally.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's almost inconceivable that Paul will handle this professionally.
If he lands with Jimmy Butler in Miami and they add a few decent pieces, it would be interesting. I could see those two getting along.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta hand it to Presti, when he decides to rebuild, he just goes all in.

I also do not know of any other GM that drafted three MVP's in three successive drafts. In fact, look at this record.

2007. Kevin Durant (2nd pick)
2008. Russell Westbrook (4th pick), Serge Ibaka (24th pick)
2009. James Harden (3rd pick)
2010. Bledsoe. (traded to Clips, drafted for Clips)
2011. Reggie Jackson
2013. Steven Adams

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gotta hand it to Presti, when he decides to rebuild, he just goes all in.

I also do not know of any other GM that drafted three MVP's in three successive drafts. In fact, look at this record.

2007. Kevin Durant (2nd pick)
2008. Russell Westbrook (4th pick), Serge Ibaka (24th pick)
2009. James Harden (3rd pick)
2010. Bledsoe. (traded to Clips, drafted for Clips)
2011. Reggie Jackson
2013. Steven Adams
Man I bet it’s tough for any other GM to duplicate that run of 7 legit NBA players, starters, and MVPs in a 7 year run.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'll throw in a this would be an interesting trade if it works cap wise. At some point Klay is going to get back and then we might see the Warriors renew their interest in Steven Adams with a Russell for Adams trade? OKC would get a young guard to pair with SGA, and the Warriors shore up the interior defense and get a great offensive rebounder. And I get a Kiwi on my favorite team.

I think the Covington rumor still is more likely since the Warriors clearly appear to need a 3, but there was talk before the draft the Warriors were very interested in Adams if there was a way to make it work.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will most likely also account for 70% of total shot attempts

I wonder if they keep Gordon. They've been playing 3 guards together for awhile now and making it work but I just can't see Gordon getting enough shots with Harden and Westbrook.

It's an interesting gamble they weren't going anywhere with Paul geting older and more injury prone so they took a risk.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if they keep Gordon. They've been playing 3 guards together for awhile now and making it work but I just can't see Gordon getting enough shots with Harden and Westbrook.

It's an interesting gamble they weren't going anywhere with Paul geting older and more injury prone so they took a risk.

If they could trade Gordon for a 3/4, they'd be in good shape.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Expiring contracts have value in a situation like this.

Dragic, James Johnson (player option next season) plus something else like Herro might work.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul's reaction to being traded to OKC
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Westbrook would work better in a three guard line up than CP3 would.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dragic, James Johnson (player option next season) plus something else like Herro might work.
I was looking at that, but then Miami has a pretty thin roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at that, but then Miami has a pretty thin roster.

They aren't going anywhere as it stands now. Maybe Chris Paul gives them a bump.

Also there are probably still a lot of unsigned players. Faried might be an option if he is still available to replace James Johnson.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook would work better in a three guard line up than CP3 would.

Except in theory someone has to be the distributor. I agree Westbrook plays bigger so he can guard 3's and rebound like a 3. But despite the high assist numbers he's not really a facilitator. He gets assists because he pushes the ball and drives into the paint, I read he led the NBA in kickout passes for 3 point attempts, something like 800. They weren't all made of course but that's the classic Westbrook assist drive until he can't go any further and then pass it out of necessity. harden is actually a better playmaker than Westbrook IMO and he's a ballhog.

The other thing is, and I hate CP3, but he's a better defender than Westbrook right now, he can even guard bigger guys he's always been so good at doing that. If the Westbrook of 4 years ago shows up playing better defense, shooting better, then yeah they're better off in that 3 guard lineup. It's just hard to know he had to carry the offense in OKC for 3 years so it's not clear if he can just flip a switch again and not be such a high usage player.

Should add they have a guard who was setting records for unassisted baskets last year in Harden, and they just paired him with a guard who is very ineffective off the ball in Westbrook. So to make Westbrook good, they have to take the ball away from Harden. Both are going to have to radically alter their games, it's possible but just seems unlikely unless both are just at the point where they're sick of not winning titles and willing to do something different to try and get one.

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

If Miami is willing to do that, they would've dealt that to get RW. Miami balked at giving up Herro, Bam or DJJ which OKC was wanting.