2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the cap issue will be fixed on draft night and summer league will not start until July 10th next summer.

Per ESPN:

For the draft night-traded players, it's about more than the hats. Because some draftees couldn't be part of their franchises before July 6, they were assured of missing the start of NBA summer league. It cost a few players the chance to play in summer league at all, which disappointed many of them.

That won't be an issue next year, with summer league in Las Vegas scheduled to begin on July 10, 2020, long after the NBA's new league year is likely to begin. So any draft pick that gets traded on draft night should, in theory, be with his actual team in plenty of time to take part in summer contests

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27161715/silver-changes-draft-trade-rules-possible

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the cap issue will be fixed on draft night and summer league will not start until July 10th next summer.

Per ESPN:

For the draft night-traded players, it's about more than the hats. Because some draftees couldn't be part of their franchises before July 6, they were assured of missing the start of NBA summer league. It cost a few players the chance to play in summer league at all, which disappointed many of them.

That won't be an issue next year, with summer league in Las Vegas scheduled to begin on July 10, 2020, long after the NBA's new league year is likely to begin. So any draft pick that gets traded on draft night should, in theory, be with his actual team in plenty of time to take part in summer contests

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27161715/silver-changes-draft-trade-rules-possible

Got to give Silver credit. It seems most issues that come up about how the NBA is run get addressed in a timely manner now and we don't have the same sort of calls for change every offseason. There are still issues of course, playoff seeding is a big one, but if there is an easy fix to an issue it's usually corrected quickly.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Check out his PER and his shooting numbers, as well as his overall ranking among current NBA point guards. I stand by my statement.

Luckily our PG situation was such garbage that it’ll feel like going from Skelton/Kolb to Palmer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily our PG situation was such garbage that it’ll feel like going from Skelton/Kolb to Palmer.

man... that is a really good way of looking at that. hope that's the case.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out his PER and his shooting numbers, as well as his overall ranking among current NBA point guards. I stand by my statement.

It’s a stupid statement. His job is to run the offense and get the other players in the best position to score. He does that well.

More than 50% of his assists are finished at the rim which means not only is he doing that job but more than half of the time he is getting his guys easy shots.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kawhi and Paul George will hit free agency in the same year.
I don't think Kawhi wants to be alone on the Clippers for an extra year without a running mate.

You’ve got to hand it to the guy. I didn’t like how he forced his way from San Antonio but he’s played his hand perfectly to this point. Uncle Dennis isn’t the freak show we all thought he was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve got to hand it to the guy. I didn’t like how he forced his way from San Antonio but he’s played his hand perfectly to this point. Uncle Dennis isn’t the freak show we all thought he was.

he played the entire league like a harp from hell. Very impressive.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m not really on the Kawhi-is-a-genius train, but don’t mean that as a dig, either. He signed with one of three teams on his shortlist, and the one to which he’s been linked longest. And he recruited in a manner that seems to be NBA reality now. But credit for keeping things quiet and not tripping over himself (see: Lakers, AD, LeBron).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m not really on the Kawhi-is-a-genius train, but don’t mean that as a dig, either. He signed with one of three teams on his shortlist, and the one to which he’s been linked longest. And he recruited in a manner that seems to be NBA reality now. But credit for keeping things quiet and not tripping over himself (see: Lakers, AD, LeBron).
Definitely not a huge fan of him recruiting someone who was under contract with a team to ask for a trade. Just seems like some pretty shady dealing to me, but it might be better for OKC in the long run as they weren't close to doing anything meaningful with the core that they had.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo in a recent tweet thinks the Suns are looking to add a third power forward.

Let it be Trey Lyles. It would totally make my off season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo in a recent tweet thinks the Suns are looking to add a third power forward.

I'd like to see the Suns sign one of the guys you campaign for here. I'm indifferent on Lyles but I'm happy with this offseason so far. If we can sign Spalding to a two-way or minimum deal then that would be the cherry on my offseason sundae.

I'd give them a B+ either way. If Oubre signed for longer, I'd give them an A but a 2 year deal can't be extended, so I have to knock them for that some. A 3 year deal with a player option could have been, which probably would have been the way to go but I'm happy with the price he was signed at so I'll give them credit for that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'd give them a B+ either way. If Oubre signed for longer, I'd give them an A but a 2 year deal can't be extended, so I have to knock them for that some. A 3 year deal with a player option could have been, which probably would have been the way to go but I'm happy with the price he was signed at so I'll give them credit for that.

I would agree with that. A decent off-season overall now that Oubre is back. We really need to see some growth from Ayton, hopefully Oubre continues to show upside, and if the rookies can contribute at all, the Suns might actually improve by 10 to 20 wins, even with the West being tougher.

I would consider that a very positive season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Suns sign one of the guys you campaign for here. I'm indifferent on Lyles but I'm happy with this offseason so far. If we can sign Spalding to a two-way or minimum deal then that would be the cherry on my offseason sundae.

Unlike a lot of other players, Oubre isn't a sure thing. I hate player options because the team is basically held hostage by that player, and if we're positioning ourselves in 2 years to be major free agency players (and it looks like we are), then the 2 year deal will look brilliant in hindsight, especially if Oubre doesn't improve over what he's been.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Unlike a lot of other players, Oubre isn't a sure thing. I hate player options because the team is basically held hostage by that player, and if we're positioning ourselves in 2 years to be major free agency players (and it looks like we are), then the 2 year deal will look brilliant in hindsight, especially if Oubre doesn't improve over what he's been.

AND if he improves and becomes a legit third star... the Suns can give him more money and more years than any other team. Win-Win situation.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AND if he improves and becomes a legit third star... the Suns can give him more money and more years than any other team. Win-Win situation.
Ok. I grant you, the theoretical possibility is there but realistically, Oubre is never going to be a max money guy where the home team advantage will matter. He is a starter caliber player. He will never be a star. IMO he will be gone in two years. Both Mikal and Cam will have developed by them or maybe we will have added another SF starter level.

Who knows, the Sun might be ready to compete then and will be adding Paul George to make their title run.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Does a 2 year deal dissolve his bird rights?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What an idea, signing a player at a position of real need. Why not sign another pg, we have six already. That's what McD would do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a 2 year deal dissolve his bird rights?

Nope, those are still intact. So we can go over the cap to resign him then, if necessary. It just that the deal can't be negotiated early if he does well here. That's what I'm a little worried about. If he signed a 3 year deal then we could start talking to him about an extension in that 3rd year. An extension could be signed without him ever hitting the open market also. Now, he'll become a free agent in 2 years but we will have his bird rights and the ability to offer more money than anyone else but like others have said, chances are we'll be choosing between Bridges and Oubre at that point so it does make some sense to have him on a 2 year deal.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, those are still intact. So we can go over the cap to resign him then, if necessary. It just that the deal can't be negotiated early if he does well here. That's what I'm a little worried about. If he signed a 3 year deal then we could start talking to him about an extension in that 3rd year. An extension could be signed without him ever hitting the open market also. Now, he'll become a free agent in 2 years but we will have his bird rights and the ability to offer more money than anyone else but like others have said, chances are we'll be choosing between Bridges and Oubre at that point so it does make some sense to have him on a 2 year deal.
Ok. Everything that we have seen from Oubre indicates that he thinks very highly of himself and his game. There is no way in the world he would negotiate an extension early without hitting the open market. This guy is going to LOVE all the attention that becoming and UFA brings and would not miss out on that for the world.

That possibility of getting an extension cheap without Oubre is nice, but realistically, it was never going to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an idea, signing a player at a position of real need. Why not sign another pg, we have six already. That's what McD would do.

Well, that's what we wished McDonough had done if they were ready to play.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Everything that we have seen from Oubre indicates that he thinks very highly of himself and his game. There is no way in the world he would negotiate an extension early without hitting the open market. This guy is going to LOVE all the attention that becoming and UFA brings and would not miss out on that for the world.

That possibility of getting an extension cheap without Oubre is nice, but realistically, it was never going to happen.

The main reason I'd like the ability to offer an extension is if he does breakout and become the 3rd star here. Then we can throw a max deal or a ridiculously large extension at him to keep him from bolting after becoming a star here. It would be avoiding a situation where we're left watching our guy leave like when Aldridge left Portland. I know they did just fine after but there was no guarantee of that. I realize an extension that pays him in the ballpark of his new deal would have been unlikely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose