Oubre Re-signed

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Why I would of preferred a 3 year contract, the price is right and gives us tons of flexibility.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other day I suggested a 3 year deal, for around this price with the 3rd as a player option. This is kind of a mid ground from that.

And yes @1Sun, we keep his bird rights. You get the bird rights from anyone you have for 3 years and you get players bird rights transferred in trade. You only lose bird rights if you renounce them or the player leaves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad this is done with and we kept him at a reasonable price. I guess we didn't need to throw $25+ million a year at him like @Dr. Jones said we'd need to.

I wish we were able to get a 3rd year with a team option or a 4th year as a player option but 2 years is fine. That means it will be done close to when we're looking at reupping Ayton and Bridges.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Really good signing all things considered. I would predict that in two years he'll move on and Bridges will slide into the starting role. If Bridges accelerates his growth and surpasses Oubre, then he becomes a good trade chip next year.

Either way, our SF position looks a lot more stable.

And JJ deserves the credit for trading garbage away to get him and re signing him to a sensible contract.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm curious if they could have maybe gotten an xtra year at 17-18m per year. I feel like 15m is very close to what he was deserving of, but I certainly would have liked to see him locked in for that 1 extra year at least. Sounds to me like they probably weren't all that close on the price he was worth on a long range deal so they probably met in the middle with the stipulation of it only being for 2 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if they could have maybe gotten an xtra year at 17-18m per year. I feel like 15m is very close to what he was deserving of, but I certainly would have liked to see him locked in for that 1 extra year at least. Sounds to me like they probably weren't all that close on the price he was worth on a long range deal so they probably met in the middle with the stipulation of it only being for 2 years.

thinking the same. curious to see if details ever come out about how far apart they were.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a little interesting that he will be a free agent when Kawhi could opt out also. I think he sees the market for what it is and he could end up being a consolation prize in 2 years for someone.

Like Ouchie mentioned also, this basically puts him on a 2 year contract year sort of path so the odds of him slacking are slim. If he's a big money player, he can earn it, but if he's not then we're not trapped with a bad deal. Also on a 2 year deal I don't think he has a lot of trade value either. This could have been his own way of controlling his future because he hasn't been around long enough to get a no-trade clause.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hate it. By the time the Suns actually have chance to be good he will he leaving. Terrible deal. 2 year rental and will be unrestricted free agent.

The way a team becomes good is signing a guy long-term BEFORE he really breaks out not when he breaks out.

For some reason i have a bad taste in my mouth like the Suns botched this. He said midseason he wanted to stay here, didnt sign another offer sheet, and we can only keep him for 2 years?

Must have offended him somehow...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, let me ask this... if Oubre plays really well this year, is there anything in the CBA that would stop us from giving him a long-term extension for bigger money before the second year hits?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

To be fair, he was up for a 35% raise after 2 years anyway. That's why I figured it took so long in that he wanted out of his contract no matter what due to the circumstances. So in the end instead of deciding if it was an option year (team, player or mutual), they just went with a flat 2 year deal.

It seems like a good signing for both sides

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate it. By the time the Suns actually have chance to be good he will he leaving. Terrible deal. 2 year rental and will be unrestricted free agent.

The way a team becomes good is signing a guy long-term BEFORE he really breaks out not when he breaks out.

For some reason i have a bad taste in my mouth like the Suns botched this. He said midseason he wanted to stay here, didnt sign another offer sheet, and we can only keep him for 2 years?

The above definitely crosses my mind... but I don't hate it. The bar for this FO has been set pretty low for me and I was worried he was just going to go straight QO and make the team look like complete cheapskates and utter morons. They don't, so I have to take solace in small victories.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think they were hellbent on two years if it meant going higher than his value. They get to see him for two years in the system and we’ll know if Mikal is the guy by then. Also get his bird rights in case he blows up past beyond our expectations. I don’t have a probably handing out massive deals if they’ve proved it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think they were hellbent on two years if it meant going higher than his value. They get to see him for two years in the system and we’ll know if Mikal is the guy by then. Also get his bird rights in case he blows up past beyond our expectations. I don’t have a probably handing out massive deals if they’ve proved it.
Good point. It is essentially a two year trial period to see which one between Oubre and Bridges is the long term 3 for us. In all likelyhood either Oubre is getting a big payday in 2 years or Mikal is getting a big payday in 3 years. Both of those things could happen, but I suspect not both with the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the team lose the players bird rights if they sign for the qualifying offer? I know if he's traded that year he plays on his qualifying offer that the team who acquires him does not get his bird rights but I'm not sure if they vanish completely. I think they do. Even if they don't, I can't recall a player who played on their qualifying offer and then reupped with their team as an unrestricted free agent.

Found this article from a few years back saying that only 16 players have taken the qualifying offer over the course of restricted free agencies as a whole. Only 1 resigned with their original team after that. It cuts off at 2014 though when Monroe signed his QO. I think that was the last time it happened but I'm not sure.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/07/players-signed-qualifying-offers.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, he was up for a 35% raise after 2 years anyway. That's why I figured it took so long in that he wanted out of his contract no matter what due to the circumstances. So in the end instead of deciding if it was an option year (team, player or mutual), they just went with a flat 2 year deal.

It seems like a good signing for both sides

Where do you get that 35% raise info? Teams can only offer raises of 8% when resigning players when they have their bird rights. A 35% raise is way too much. It sounds like you have max contract information mixed with raises but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking where you heard that or saw it.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Where do you get that 35% raise info? Teams can only offer raises of 8% when resigning players when they have their bird rights. A 35% raise is way too much. It sounds like you have max contract information mixed with raises but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking where you heard that or saw it.

You're probably right in that it likely had to do with a max contract. I can't remember which thread it was put on (I wasn't the one that put it there obviously) but it was something that somebody posted that made it seem like a reason for the long negotiation.

I'll try and find it

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He re signed because i called him an entitled millennial.
You're welcome.
Seriously tho happy to have him back.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Fix this if I missed anyone:

Rubio/TJ/Jerome/Okobo/Carter/Lecque (one or two of these guys wont be on the active roster)
Book/TJ/Bridges
Oubre/Bridges/Cam
Saric/KamAsshole/Cam
Ayton/Baynes
I may have missed the explanation somewhere but why do you hate Frank?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sounds like he wanted more than 15 million a year and settled for the 2 year to get to free agency sooner.
This is what I am thinking.

You guys were right though, so I wil eat my crow..... 15 mil.

My stance is pretty plain at this point. By July 31st 2021..... Both Oubre & Booker will be gone and the rebuild will start all over again.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

We will have 40-50M$ capspace that year with Booker entering his 7th year and Ayton, Bridges entering their 4th. We will also have new state of the art practice facility and renovated arena.
That is the year we should be a prime a destination for free agents and it is a strong free agent class lead by Giannis while the Lakers and Clippers are unlikely to be big free agent players since both should be commited to 2 max contracts already.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

they would not have wanted a 3rd year before of the cap-space they can have in 2021 when Booker and Ayton are in their prime and they have their new facility.

Also I think it is the right move to be cautious. Because if Bridges outplays Oubre and Cam Johnson looks good things could go badly for Oubre but with a 2 year contract you dont have to worry about it being a bad contract. And if things go well the Suns can gladly give Oubre a bigger deal in 2 years.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would have preferred three years at this money, but I’m happy. If he’s a long-term Sun, we’ll be extending him for more $ either way.

Besides, in today’s NBA, three years wouldn’t stop him from demanding a trade or an extension early. This way everything is on the table and everyone can plan for two years out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA