Kelly Oubre...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Bridges will end up being a better player than Oubre, maybe even this year. You have a much higher vision of Oubre's potential than I do.

In fact, that might be the key factor in this entire negotiation--who would you bet on for the future--Oubre or Bridges?

For me, its Bridges--hands down. Smarter player, better defender, better shooter.
For me you don't really have to choose right now. You need multiple good wings in the NBA these days and thus I would be trying to lock up Oubre now and figure out Bridges in 3 years when his time comes.

Also I think I am with Mainstreet when it comes to Oubre's potential. I see a guy that could very easily get to borderline all star caliber and maybe even better. He has all of the tools and physical talent to get there, but just needs to improve a little in a couple different areas.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Also I think I am with Mainstreet when it comes to Oubre's potential. I see a guy that could very easily get to borderline all star caliber and maybe even better. He has all of the tools and physical talent to get there, but just needs to improve a little in a couple different areas.
Oddly similar to what people have been saying about Josh freaking Jackson for two years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, I like that we have faith in our players, which is a refreshing change, but Mainstreet REALLY thinks Oubre can be the 3rd piece on a championship team? That's incredibly optimistic considering the small sample size.
I think he could get to that level, but I am not ready to say that it will definitely happen just yet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oddly similar to what people have been saying about Josh freaking Jackson for two years.
Oubre is better than JJ on both ends of the floor and in almost every facet of the game (JJ is a better passer and that is about it). Oubre has a much better grasp on the game than JJ and was playing at a near all star level at the end of last season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure it is fair to compare Oubre to Jackson. Oubre seems like a genuinely good person and well-liked. Jackson is a moron who is headed for jail unless he makes huge changes as a PERSON, not just in his game. Josh needs religion or something.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
While I agree that the Suns shouldn't go overboard for Oubre (but that is relative), no matter how you slice it, the perception of lowballing him and then letting him walk away is a BAD look for a franchise that is just about at the nadir of public perception around the league. It is very much something they might not ever recover from in the near and medium future, given the already negative view of the franchise and current ownership. Forget about future free agents who are interested in going somewhere that places a premium on building and maintaining a winning environment - they won't be coming here.

So yes, if Oubre and his agent are trying to extort the Suns for anything markedly above his real market value, by all means work out some kind of sign-and-trade. Of course, the very fact that another team would be willing to sign Oubre at his requested price and then trade something of value for him, indicates that he is very likely getting his real market value. I don't know of course, but I have no problem also imagining that the Suns could be lowballing him in these negotiations, given their history under Sarver.

At the end of the day, resigning Oubre has less to do with believing he has some tremendous long-term potential the Suns are risking losing, and more to do with demonstrating some real commitment to improving the team currently.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Starting with the game on the 8th of January Oubre started to get a very regular 30+ minutes per game and in the 30 games he played in from that date he averaged 31 minutes, 19 points, 6 boards, 2 assists. 2 steals and 1 block on 46% from the field. Those are borderline all star caliber numbers over a 30 game stretch and the team was legitimately better with him on the floor during that time.

Now I am not saying that he should get a payday that reflects a player that averages those numbers as he only did that for 30 games, but those 30 games are definitely going to have some effect on his next contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bridges will end up being a better player than Oubre, maybe even this year. You have a much higher vision of Oubre's potential than I do.

In fact, that might be the key factor in this entire negotiation--who would you bet on for the future--Oubre or Bridges?

For me, its Bridges--hands down. Smarter player, better defender, better shooter.

I'd rather not get into comparing the players because that would mean the Suns having to choose between the two players and they don't.

The bottom line as I see it, the Suns had a chance add a player in free agency that would make a significant impact beyond adding a point guard.

Rubio was a nice addition but to move the needle against other improving teams the Suns needed to do more.

If the Suns were not inclined to pay Oubre what he wanted, they could have pursued other free agents like Randle.

The Suns cannot say oh well, year after year, if they want to move forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure it is fair to compare Oubre to Jackson. Oubre seems like a genuinely good person and well-liked. Jackson is a moron who is headed for jail unless he makes huge changes as a PERSON, not just in his game. Josh needs religion or something.
Jackson was stupid, on that we agree with, but was he not well-liked? He seemed to still hang out with the guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, I like that we have faith in our players, which is a refreshing change, but Mainstreet REALLY thinks Oubre can be the 3rd piece on a championship team? That's incredibly optimistic considering the small sample size.

I think Oubre CAN be, but small sample size. There is more evidence he is NOT the third piece. More likely, he is the 4th or 5th piece.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I see Oubre in a similar light at Mainstreet in many ways. I think for the first time in his career he got a consistent opportunity to play big minutes. Let’s not forget he was sitting behind Otto Porter Jr and that huge contract in Washington. They had to play Porter no matter what after that was signed. I think we saw the impact he had on the team when he came over and got acclimated. I feel like he could be a fringe all-star type player for years, and is still very young. He lines up well with Booker and Ayton. Booker was a better player with KO on the floor, and I loved the way he pushed Ayton.

On top of his efficient and consistent play over the last couple months of the season, he seemed to just be a genuinely good dude, and a good teammate...a little ahead of his age on the maturity scale. I never questioned his effort. I just loved his fit here and I think it would be a big blow to lose him. I understand there is a walk away number for him and that we can’t be silly in what we offer, but we lucked into him after trading away a bad player for us in Ariza. I’d love to see him back with what the majority of us feel is a solid coach and an actual point guard in Rubio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I agree that the Suns shouldn't go overboard for Oubre (but that is relative), no matter how you slice it, the perception of lowballing him and then letting him walk away is a BAD look for a franchise that is just about at the nadir of public perception around the league. It is very much something they might not ever recover from in the near and medium future, given the already negative view of the franchise and current ownership. Forget about future free agents who are interested in going somewhere that places a premium on building and maintaining a winning environment - they won't be coming here.

So yes, if Oubre and his agent are trying to extort the Suns for anything markedly above his real market value, by all means work out some kind of sign-and-trade. Of course, the very fact that another team would be willing to sign Oubre at his requested price and then trade something of value for him, indicates that he is very likely getting his real market value. I don't know of course, but I have no problem also imagining that the Suns could be lowballing him in these negotiations, given their history under Sarver.

At the end of the day, resigning Oubre has less to do with believing he has some tremendous long-term potential the Suns are risking losing, and more to do with demonstrating some real commitment to improving the team currently.
It is foolhardy to make decisions based upon what the talking heads say. The Suns made an offer. He has the choice to accept it or go out into the market like many other players and get a better offer. He obviously did not get a better offer than what the Suns made (or a better offer that he liked) or he would have signed an offer sheet. It is not lowballing to stick to whatever the original offer was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Starting with the game on the 8th of January Oubre started to get a very regular 30+ minutes per game and in the 30 games he played in from that date he averaged 31 minutes, 19 points, 6 boards, 2 assists. 2 steals and 1 block on 46% from the field. Those are borderline all star caliber numbers over a 30 game stretch and the team was legitimately better with him on the floor during that time.

Now I am not saying that he should get a payday that reflects a player that averages those numbers as he only did that for 30 games, but those 30 games are definitely going to have some effect on his next contract.
I was wondering what his stretch #s looked like. Thank you for providing. Those are generally pretty good numbers. What did he shoot from 3 during that span?

If he could provide those #s consistently he’s definitely a 3rd banana.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Oubre CAN be, but small sample size. There is more evidence he is NOT the third piece. More likely, he is the 4th or 5th piece.
Yeah I think we have our likely #1 and #2 in booker and Ayton. If they’re not we are in trouble in the first place.

Then I think we have the equivalent of three very good #4 pieces in Oubre, bridges, and Rubio. Thus if we can ever add a legit 3rd star we are likely looking at a very good team. Assuming each player continues to develop to their peak, that is.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was wondering what his stretch #s looked like. Thank you for providing. Those are generally pretty good numbers. What did he shoot from 3 during that span?

If he could provide those #s consistently he’s definitely a 3rd banana.
He shot 32% from 3 during that stretch. Needs to bump that up a few percentage points, but overall he played quite well during that stretch.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I STILL think that is the case with Josh Jackson...IF he can ever get his head out of his butt and on straight. That's the difference right there. Oubre is not the headcase that Josh Jackson has proved to be. That being said, dumping Jackson at his low point for nothing and giving up assets to do so is par for the course for this management group this offseason.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I STILL think that is the case with Josh Jackson...IF he can ever get his head out of his butt and on straight. That's the difference right there. Oubre is not the headcase that Josh Jackson has proved to be. That being said, dumping Jackson at his low point for nothing and giving up assets to do so is par for the course for this management group this offseason.
Josh Jackson absolutely stinks. Addition by subtraction. Just watching him play you know he will never be close to an all star. To keep using him to bash the FO is reaching.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Josh Jackson absolutely stinks. Addition by subtraction. Just watching him play you know he will never be close to an all star. To keep using him to bash the FO is reaching.

They didn't even bother trying to see what a solid coach like Monty Williams could have done with him, particularly in the wake of Josh Jackson showing major signs in a half of a season under a lesser coach in Jay Triano.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They didn't even bother trying to see what a solid coach like Monty Williams could have done with him, particularly in the wake of Josh Jackson showing major signs in a half of a season under a lesser coach in Jay Triano.
Maybe cause they see him everyday...his work habits....dedication ..you know things we as forum members don't. I know you like to think you know more but maybe our FO does.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe cause they see him everyday...his work habits....dedication ..you know things we as forum members don't. I know you like to think you know more but maybe our FO does.

Actually, I am pretty darn sure Monty Williams hasn't seen diddly squat when it comes to Josh Jackson, not because it's not there but because Monty Williams has yet to interact much, if at all, with his players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I think we have our likely #1 and #2 in booker and Ayton. If they’re not we are in trouble in the first place.

Then I think we have the equivalent of three very good #4 pieces in Oubre, bridges, and Rubio. Thus if we can ever add a legit 3rd star we are likely looking at a very good team. Assuming each player continues to develop to their peak, that is.
I totally agree with this assessment. There is the outside chance that Bridges could develop into that #3 player--not Rubio or Oubre imo.

We potentially have max money next summer, just in case a potential #3 player becomes available.
We also have Tyler's contract and all our future picks to include if a player becomes available at the trade deadline--and someone always does.

I am curious what KIND of player that #3 player needs to be. PF, wing or pg.

I think Rubio can hang on here for a long time and be the starter on a championship level team if the other players are good enough. So, the type of player we need is a 3 or 4 of all-star quality. Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis, etc. Or maybe a player that might eventually be on that level (Aaron Gordon, maybe?).

It looks to me like Minny is going into full tank mode. I wonder if KT will be asking out soon.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I totally agree with this assessment. There is the outside chance that Bridges could develop into that #3 player--not Rubio or Oubre imo.

We potentially have max money next summer, just in case a potential #3 player becomes available.
We also have Tyler's contract and all our future picks to include if a player becomes available at the trade deadline--and someone always does.

I am curious what KIND of player that #3 player needs to be. PF, wing or pg.

I think Rubio can hang on here for a long time and be the starter on a championship level team if the other players are good enough. So, the type of player we need is a 3 or 4 of all-star quality. Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis, etc. Or maybe a player that might eventually be on that level (Aaron Gordon, maybe?).

It looks to me like Minny is going into full tank mode. I wonder if KT will be asking out soon.

I agree there is a better chance of Bridges becoming our 3 than Oubre - but I still think the chance is low. I actually think Lecque has the best shot of becoming our 3rd star, but that is also unlikely.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree there is a better chance of Bridges becoming our 3 than Oubre - but I still think the chance is low. I actually think Lecque has the best shot of becoming our 3rd star, but that is also unlikely.

Yeah, I don't get the fascination with Bridges. He seems like an okay pickup, but I don't see star potential in him at all. I think this board overrates him because we know the Suns paid such a high price.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the fascination with Bridges. He seems like an okay pickup, but I don't see star potential in him at all. I think this board overrates him because we know the Suns paid such a high price.

Bridges is the quintessential solid role player. Nobody outside of this board has EVER labeled Bridges as having NBA star potential.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If that is the case, he is overrated by the entire league, because he is highly respected around the league.