2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's absurd to think that we won't have a considerably more productive offense this year than last. And I emphasize considerably. There will be games this year when we may have more 1st downs in a quarter than we had in an entire game last year. I do agree with those that say Murray will throw more picks than he's accustomed to. The youth at WR will result in there being some disconnects between the WR's & Murray. I also expect young WR's to drop their share of passes also. Even Fitz had only an average rookie season compared to what came afterwards. But, bottom line, the Cardinal's offense last year was the worst I had ever seen since 1964, so it BETTER be significantly improved. If it's remotely as bad, then the KK hire was a DREADFUL one.
It's seriously not absurd to think we can be as bad.

Do I think we'll be as bad? Nope, but we're truly staring into the void of the unknown right now.

It's really not hard to think of us having conversations in December about DJ having never come back to form, Fitz showing his age finally, the offensive line being as bad as anticipated, Kyler struggling like any rookie QB, rookie WRs putting up rookie numbers, and KK's offense needing some tweaks.

The only thing that would really surprise me is if Kirk didn't play well.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's seriously not absurd to think we can be as bad.

Do I think we'll be as bad? Nope, but we're truly staring into the void of the unknown right now.

It's really not hard to think of us having conversations in December about DJ having never come back to form, Fitz showing his age finally, the offensive line being as bad as anticipated, Kyler struggling like any rookie QB, rookie WRs putting up rookie numbers, and KK's offense needing some tweaks.

The only thing that would really surprise me is if Kirk didn't play well.

It is absurd, because 100% and then some of the areas you mentioned would have to come to fruition in order to be that bad. That just is not going to happen. There is a much higher chance our offense is fantastic than it being as bad as last year. What we saw last year was one of the worst offensive seasons the NFL has EVER seen. You have to go back back to the Tom Tupa era to find anything remotely as bad in Cardinal history, let alone NFL history. If our offense is anything like last years, then Kingsbury should also be fired after one season. I’m not saying that the Cardinals will compare to the “greatest show on turf” in year 1, but they will obliterate last years offensive numbers.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the vibe would be around here if we had passed on Murray and all these accolades were being showered on Murray in Oakland? But we would have had Bosa. Boring.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is absurd, because 100% and then some of the areas you mentioned would have to come to fruition in order to be that bad. That just is not going to happen. There is a much higher chance our offense is fantastic than it being as bad as last year. What we saw last year was one of the worst offensive seasons the NFL has EVER seen. You have to go back back to the Tom Tupa era to find anything remotely as bad in Cardinal history, let alone NFL history. If our offense is anything like last years, then Kingsbury should also be fired after one season. I’m not saying that the Cardinals will compare to the “greatest show on turf” in year 1, but they will obliterate last years offensive numbers.

Yes, all of those have to go wrong for us to be worse, but only one or two need to go that way for us to be in the bottom third of the league still.

I have very little hope for this offense in year one, but could see myself getting excited for year two with the right additions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, all of those have to go wrong for us to be worse, but only one or two need to go that way for us to be in the bottom third of the league still.

I have very little hope for this offense in year one, but could see myself getting excited for year two with the right additions.

Maybe, but bottom-third of the league would be a huge improvement over our historically bad 2018 offense. Last year wasn't like, "Another candle on the birthday cake will do wonders for these guys." It was a complete, unwatchable dumpster fire. Look at this:

Football Outsiders said:
With average defense and close-to-average special teams combined with this hideous offense, the Cardinals ended up way, way, way behind every other team in the league in DVOA this year. Arizona was at -40.4%, and the next worst team was Oakland all the way up at -21.0%. The difference between Arizona and Oakland was almost equal to the difference between Oakland and a league-average team such as Philadelphia or the New York Giants (both of whom, rounded to a single decimal, finished at 0.0%).

The only season with a bigger difference between the worst team and the next-worst team was 2005, when the 49ers had the worst total DVOA in history.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/final-2018-dvoa-ratings

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, aren't you the guy who likes facts and figures and analytics over anecdotal evidence? Weird.

You made an interesting case that I just don't have the time to counter. By itself it says one thing but to really judge you would have to compare it to other teams, especially those playing early in the season.

I am not going to ask you to further prove your own argument because I hate that. So I say sure there is zero buzz. It's just funny that a basic "Past, Present, Future" picture comes out for 2019 and it has Murray on the cover. I thought immediately "Maybe it's just all #1 picks are on the cover" but that isn't the case.

Could mean nothing beyond being ironic.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe, but bottom-third of the league would be a huge improvement over our historically bad 2018 offense. Last year wasn't like, "Another candle on the birthday cake will do wonders for these guys." It was a complete, unwatchable dumpster fire. Look at this:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/final-2018-dvoa-ratings

Sure, but we didn't dump Rosen, waste a bunch of picks, and change coaches to end up four spots better. It's an "improvement," but it's not much of anything.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure, but we didn't dump Rosen, waste a bunch of picks, and change coaches to end up four spots better. It's an "improvement," but it's not much of anything.

I agree with others that drafting Kyler Murray was the fastest path to respectability on offense, even if it might not be sustainable in the long-term (and may not work out in the short-term, either!). The gap between us and the second-worst offense was about as large as between the 31st offense and an average one. That's bad!

Getting from historically awful to merely below-average would be a huge improvement. We'd have to score one more TD per game to get from where we were last year to 22nd.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'd be smarter to set aside the stats and focus more on the gunslinger's aspects of Murray's game (i.e. sacks that get turned into big plays, near-interceptions that turn out to be 1st downs or TD's and, in the end, losable games that are won).

I haven't a clue whether Murray will be Boom, Bust (or somewhere in between). I'm just buckling my seat-belt and getting ready for a rip-roaring ride.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score

Really Tom Tupa? Forget about DA, Max Hall, Skelton already? I’ll be really surprised if KM reaches leinarts rookie numbers - you know per game - he broke cardinal records under dennis green- and whiz shamed him like a punk and kicked him in the nuts repeatedly to toughen him up - you all cheered that horse crap - and it didn’t work out for anybody - Josh Rosen was on the same track to be ruined last year- freaking ridiculous last year blaming Sam Bradford with McCoy and Wilkes performance - I sometimes want to be liked and just go along - but will stand alone against majority believing some stupid crap like this.

Whiz and BA made their names in n top rushing offenses - came here and pass the cards to death - regardless of the qb! Do you remember the 2008 collapse - return of edge through the playoff run - then 10 freaking total carries in the super bowl - same with beanie in 09 playoffs - then 10 freaking carries total in the bow out loss to the saints! We deserve the mouth fulls of boiling crap we got - ain’t trusting this coach till he shows me sound NFL football. And I think he will.

Unless you prefer a 99 yard Harrison interception return for a touchdown to end the first half, ignoring the fresh hall of fame rb waiting his whole life for this moment - I don’t.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder what the vibe would be around here if we had passed on Murray and all these accolades were being showered on Murray in Oakland? But we would have had Bosa. Boring.

This off season vibe is going to be forever meaningless once the season starts so it's either time for KM and KK to make this org look like geniuses or make us into a meme.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This off season vibe is going to be forever meaningless once the season starts so it's either time for KM and KK to make this org look like geniuses or make us into a meme.
No doubt. But it has been a whirlwind off season. Watching nfl network it’s ironic that two of the most talked about teams are the Cardinals and the Browns.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No doubt. But it has been a whirlwind off season. Watching nfl network it’s ironic that two of the most talked about teams are the Cardinals and the Browns.

yeah and im glad, the organization had to take some drastic decisions and making an all in move
bidwill approved this plan even cause it generate some buzz towards the franchise which is one of his goals

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would’ve been fine keeping Rosen but it’s hard to imagine now given the pub the Cards have received mostly due to KM.
Publicity isn't worth much in this day and age though. It'll just make the fall worse if it happens.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Publicity isn't worth much in this day and age though. It'll just make the fall worse if it happens.

Geez, just stop this passive aggressive approach to everything concerning our rookie QB... wait till you have a at least a stool to sit on before you attempt to take one away from him lol