Suns @ Grizzlies SL Game Thread 7/9/19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Tuesday, July 9th the Suns play the Grizzlies at 4:30 p.m. Arizona time.

The game is to be televised on NBA TV.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just wanted to take a sec to show everybody the next superstar. :sarcasm:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns summer league game against the Grizzlies is about to come on.

It is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Arizona time on NBA TV.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lecque with a couple nice drives and some good D. He is making me a believer. He just needs a jump shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Okobo is done

He looks mediocre and not in control out there and that is a bad bad thing for a 2nd year player in summer league

I've seen enough of him as well. Complete bust. Should have taken Brunson there.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've seen enough of him as well. Complete bust. Should have taken Brunson there.

Yeah, I think I have seen enough too. He does not look like he has progressed at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okobo is done

He looks mediocre and not in control out there and that is a bad bad thing for a 2nd year player in summer league

Yeah, I think I have seen enough too. He does not look like he has progressed at all.

When you guys watched Okobo last season did you think "wow, this kid is going to be a player next year"? I ask because he looked to be several years away to me and he still does. I'm fine with parting ways, the guy probably needs a couple years of ball away from the NBA but I'm seeing the Okobo I expected to see in summer league.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When you guys watched Okobo last season did you think "wow, this kid is going to be a player next year"? I ask because he looked to be several years away to me and he still does. I'm fine with parting ways, the guy probably needs a couple years of ball away from the NBA but I'm seeing the Okobo I expected to see in summer league.

I said going into last year that he was several years away and needed a year or two in the G League. His poor performance in both the G League and the NBA confirmed that. And now he looks even worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns never had chemistry in the game. It was a disapproving performance.

I agree, Okobo is likely gone even though he is on a guaranteed contract for $1,416,852 this season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a lot like regular season. We got a bunch of open looks from three and still managed to shoot less than 30%.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Okobo: 25 minutes, 0 assists and 4 Turnovers.

That's while Okobo played PG the whole night with Lecque and Harper playing SG. He makes no one around him better. On top of that he's a soft scorer. I'd rather have TJ Warren play PG than Okobo. The guy is a small SG. That's it.

Lecque still shows a ton of promise. I'm especially intrigued by his D. He really gets after it even though he doesn't have a lot of meat on his bones. His jump shot still looks smooth, but his targeting has been off line. Two games where he did a little bit of everything. Really good 2 way contract player.

Harper's stat line is depressing, but he was playing out of position. Even with that he was a much better floor general than anyone else on our team. His ONE layup showed great extension and touch. This kid has something. Like Lecque, he needs to find his range as he's 0for from 3 point range. He does too much disappearing for stretches. He can't make a team doing that. I honestly wish they'd just send Okobo home and give these other guys a true look.

Spalding was the best player on the court in limited minutes. He schooled Clarke tonight (who came a bit down to earth today).

Why is there so much love for Grayson Allen? I don't get it. The guy is not and NBA player. I think he just exists to irritate people like me (I'm only speaking about basketball).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With his play to end last season and what he showed today, Spalding deserves a roster spot.

I agree. That makes the roster:

Ricky Rubio/Ty Jerome/Jevon Carter/Jalen Lecque

Devin Booker/Tyler Johnson

Kelly Oubre(positive thinking)/Mikal Bridges/Cam Johnson

Dario Saric/Frank Kaminsky

Deandre Ayton/Aron Baynes/Ray Spalding

That leaves one roster spot for Okobo or someone else.

I'd probably cut Okobo and bring in a Jodie Meeks or Nik Stauskas at the 2...Or maybe Jon Leuer at the 4.

For the 2-way contracts, I like Jared Harper and James Palmer Jr.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With his play to end last season and what he showed today, Spalding deserves a roster spot.

Glad to see Spalding stepping up. I liked his effort last year. When they waived him earlier this offseason I was disappointed because I think he should be kept, even if it's on a Two-Way deal, but after seeing he was on the SL roster I figured he was let go because of cap reasons. Hopefully they resign him.

If he's playing well in SL, I could see another team taking a shot on him if we don't so we need to sign him to some sort of deal. A two-way contract can be converted to a normal contract later and that will allow him to get more practice time in with the G-League squad.

I don't know what his ceiling is but I feel comfortable saying he could be a solid backup within the next year if we keep and develop him.