Knicks @ Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/19

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's interesting that two of the last Knicks' draft picks both tend to disappear in games. Barrett was awful, Knox looks completely disinterested. They had the better prospect talent, but just didn't show near as much heart as the Suns especially in the 4th.

Harper played as advertised. He was who I most wanted to watch tonight so I never took my eyes off him. Positives were: good floor general, incredible finisher at the basket with his incredible length, quick first step, excellent hands on D. However, he needs to distribute more. Looked to score too much tonight. Was lousy from 3 point range and completely disappeared in the 2nd and 3rd quarter (legs looked like rubber). He also had flat feet on D. With that great length and touch around the rim I still think he has a decent shot of making this team.

Lecque looked all of 19. However, he did lots of other little things that will get him noticed.

Rice looked HUNGRY. I love to watch a player like that work his tail off to make a team. Didn't know who he was before game time, but he sure got my attention now.
Remember Booker in his 2nd Summer League? That is what a good 2nd year player should look like in SL. Completely dominated without breaking a sweat.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harper played as advertised. He was who I most wanted to watch tonight so I never took my eyes off him. Positives were: good floor general, incredible finisher at the basket with his incredible length, quick first step, excellent hands on D. However, he needs to distribute more. Looked to score too much tonight. Was lousy from 3 point range and completely disappeared in the 2nd and 3rd quarter (legs looked like rubber). He also had flat feet on D. With that great length and touch around the rim I still think he has a decent shot of making this team.

I didn't watch much but I still wanted to comment on what I bolded. That's just summer league play. We're not going to see anyone pass a lot but from what I saw when they were running highlights, Harper definitely looks like a floor general. He was loud, telling everyone where to go. It's encouraging to see a player direct traffic like that at his age and experience level. The last Sun I saw do that in SL was Mike James. I don't believe Harper was looking for his shot like James did. He wasn't a PG so much as someone that was the height of a PG that played ISO ball. I don't know what Earl Watson saw in him.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I thought that was one of our better coached summer league teams. Good job by new coach Willie Green.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I didn't watch much but I still wanted to comment on what I bolded. That's just summer league play. We're not going to see anyone pass a lot but from what I saw when they were running highlights, Harper definitely looks like a floor general. He was loud, telling everyone where to go. It's encouraging to see a player direct traffic like that at his age and experience level. The last Sun I saw do that in SL was Mike James. I don't believe Harper was looking for his shot like James did. He wasn't a PG so much as someone that was the height of a PG that played ISO ball. I don't know what Earl Watson saw in him.
I would disagree with the idea that we won't see anyone. I saw it in the Spurs/Hornets game. Magette was completely focused on getting the ball to his team mates. ESPN credited him with 4 Assists, but I'd be shocked if that was even remotely accurate (typical for SL stats). It is absolutely clear that he knows his role there.

Harper went into a slump in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. I noticed he got benched for a while and Okobo ran the show. When he came back in he was far more interested in passing the ball. One time he dribbled under the basket and passed out to his man on the perimeter rather than taking a lay up. My guess is that someone sat him down and refocused his role. Much like Magette for the Spurs, Harper looked a lot more like a floor general in the 4th.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Rice looked good but the dude turns 27 next week.
Can he play defense? If so he could be a good backup SG for us. At least someone for depth at the end of the bench, especially if he can both knock down threes and play some solid defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought that was one of our better coached summer league teams. Good job by new coach Willie Green.
I was thinking this. Summer league teams do not often play together that well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harper seems to be a decent floor general. Could be a two-way contract possibility.

Harper is the best player on the court :lol:

Harper is a very nice player. The Suns should seriously consider wrapping him up for a four contract if he continues to play well.

I'm not basing this just on a summer league game but based on his college career as well. This young man has all the tools to be a solid back point guard. I saw flashes of IT last night.

I know the Suns have a number of point guards but a team has to make room for talent. Hopefully they can find room on their 15 man roster.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
7/8/19, 11:37 AM
#Suns summer league coach Willie Green on Jalen Lacque's game last night: "Great energy both offensively and defensively. He took a charge, got a block...We can see that that kid is athletic. He has some ability that's sky-high. I just thought he was aggressive all night."

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
7/8/19, 11:37 AM
More Green on Lacque: "When he puts it all together, he's going to be scary...if he keeps that motor as he did tonight, he could be scary in the future." #Suns
I have seen some pretty unathletic and pretty untalented guys carve out a career in the NBA on motor alone. If he can keep a high motor with his athleticism and some decent skill development he could be quite good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am getting so fed up with these tired old excuses about players in the hopes of finding ANYTHING that can either tear down the player, the organization or the team as a whole. It's nitpicking without any evidence. Nobody knows how any of these guys are going to fit in on an NBA team yet.