Knicks @ Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks play the Suns on Sunday for a 6:30 p.m. Arizona time game scheduled to be televised on ESPN.

First round picks Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome will not play in summer league as posted in another thread.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knicks play the Suns on Sunday for a 6:30 p.m. Arizona time game scheduled to be televised on ESPN.

First round picks Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome will not play in summer league as posted in another thread.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Probably want to see more of Okobo and Lecque in SL to see what they have at back up PG. I think Jerome could back up Booker at SG but there are still three guys vying to be Rubio's back up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all of the PG's signed I can understand giving Jerome a pass on SL but Cam Johnson should be playing. If Zion is playing for the Pelicans then there is no excuse for the Suns to hold Cam Johnson out.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
With all of the PG's signed I can understand giving Jerome a pass on SL but Cam Johnson should be playing. If Zion is playing for the Pelicans then there is no excuse for the Suns to hold Cam Johnson out.
But why? It's SL and anyone that thinks anything of real value comes out of playing there is deluding themselves. The only reason why guys that already have roster spots play at SL is for the fans to get to see them. Otherwise it is for filling out the end of roster by finding guys that you feel deserve an invite to training camp based on what they did in SL.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But why? It's SL and anyone that thinks anything of real value comes out of playing there is deluding themselves. The only reason why guys that already have roster spots play at SL is for the fans to get to see them. Otherwise it is for filling out the end of roster by finding guys that you feel deserve an invite to training camp based on what they did in SL.

I think it's a good time to start getting familiar with a coaches system, the NBA style, and developing chemistry with some teammates. I don't think the outcome of games is all that meaningful as far as wins and losses but it can help get a player prepared for a different level of competition. By NBA system I mean 4 quarters instead of 2 halves and the extended 3 point line.

I don't think it's as important for 2nd year players as it is for actual rookies. They may have a spot locked up on the roster already but I think getting them out there right after they sign should help them get prepared for being a professional athlete as well. They'll need to start thinking basketball year round and taking it more seriously than they did in college.

I'm not saying it's on the same level as preseason or training camp but these guys were drafted a couple weeks ago. Getting them out there and playing some should help get them in the right frame of mind of this being a business and not just a game before they get ready for a month or two of time off. This can give them an idea of what they need to work on and how they need to stay prepared before they get that time off.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion played 9 minutes and he's done because he got a bruise.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we all figured out Josh Jackson stunk in Summer league
Plenty of players looked good or bad in SL and were the complete opposite in real games. It just isn't a format that works all that well for certain types of players. I would guess it wouldn't do much for guys like Jerome and Cam as neither are athletic ball dominant type guys who tend to thrive in SL.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably want to see more of Okobo and Lecque in SL to see what they have at back up PG. I think Jerome could back up Booker at SG but there are still three guys vying to be Rubio's back up.

I'm liking Jared Harper as a backup point guard candidate as well. He could surprise given the opportunity.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot remember a summer league I have cared less about.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening night cancellation certainly did not help fan interest. Summer league cannot overlap free agency. It's an obvious problem. I don't understand why the NBA set it up this way. It needs to be fixed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's a good time to start getting familiar with a coaches system, the NBA style, and developing chemistry with some teammates. I don't think the outcome of games is all that meaningful as far as wins and losses but it can help get a player prepared for a different level of competition. By NBA system I mean 4 quarters instead of 2 halves and the extended 3 point line.

I don't think it's as important for 2nd year players as it is for actual rookies. They may have a spot locked up on the roster already but I think getting them out there right after they sign should help them get prepared for being a professional athlete as well. They'll need to start thinking basketball year round and taking it more seriously than they did in college.

I'm not saying it's on the same level as preseason or training camp but these guys were drafted a couple weeks ago. Getting them out there and playing some should help get them in the right frame of mind of this being a business and not just a game before they get ready for a month or two of time off. This can give them an idea of what they need to work on and how they need to stay prepared before they get that time off.
Yup agree with all of this.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot remember a summer league I have cared less about.

Right on. Usually I plan my July trip around it. This year...not going. And now that Zion is out then what’s the point?

Last year was so underwhelming when our guys stunk it up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Right on. Usually I plan my July trip around it. This year...not going. And now that Zion is out then what’s the point?

Last year was so underwhelming when our guys stunk it up.
This year I noticed some of the lesser known guys are making some highlight worthy plays in games, at least.

So far no one seems to wnt/be able to take the bull by the horns and make Summer League their show case.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bleh the “real” coaches and “real” teammates won’t even be playing with you.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bleh the “real” coaches and “real” teammates won’t even be playing with you.

And they have not been able to practice or even be around the team at all until yesterday. This is far more an indictment on the stupid rules in place surrounding Draft/FA trades than it is with anything the Suns are doing with their picks, are any of the rookies that were traded and only joined their teams yesterday participating? Honestly if the league isn't going to allow players who were traded 2 weeks ago to participate in team activities they should really move the Vegas SL back 3 weeks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And they have not been able to practice or even be around the team at all until yesterday. This is far more an indictment on the stupid rules in place surrounding Draft/FA trades than it is with anything the Suns are doing with their picks, are any of the rookies that were traded and only joined their teams yesterday participating? Honestly if the league isn't going to allow players who were traded 2 weeks ago to participate in team activities they should really move the Vegas SL back 3 weeks.

My estimation for the reasons the Summer League exists at all.

1. Excuse for billionaires and millionaires to mingle in Vegas (75%)
2. Evaluating UDFAs and 2nd round sleepers (24%)
3. Player Development (1%)

I think this happened because the league doesn't really give a crap.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I don't disagree, but it is extra time the team has to work with their new draftees which is limited with the CBA. I'm more disappointed about them missing the team training/practices leading up to the SL than I am with them missing the games.

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things in a players career, but it doesn't have to happen.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should be an absolute massacre if you look at the difference in the talent on these two rosters. Expected Robinson, Knox and Barrett will go wild.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Well, I'm not going to mingle in Vegas anymore until our first rounders are back to playing in SL.