Kelly Oubre...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 on the Joe Johnson contract. A lot of the blame falls on Joe Johnson wanting to be the #1. If I remember right we offered 45mil he wanted 50mil, sarver said if you preform this year you'll get it. (He'd only had a half of a productive season, so his success was far from a guarantee)
Then after the season the number changed and jj considered 55 million insulating. Sarver said if you can get it (60mil) we'll match it. We he found it from the hawks he requested the suns not match it so they worked out a sign and trade. Thinking back I'm not sure what I would have done differently given the same information, knowing that if we signed him to either number marion probably gets shipped out. Maybe we get more for the marion trade, but who knows.
They should have just matched it and been done with it. Joe would have gotten over it. The Pels did it with Gordon, the Lakers told "Kobe" a flat "no" when he wanted a trade. Atlanta did make it easier with that sign and trade deal. They already really like Daiw and that first round pick looked really promising. But then ATL lucked out in the lottery and jumped up to #3. They took Horford.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They should have just matched it and been done with it. Joe would have gotten over it. The Pels did it with Gordon, the Lakers told "Kobe" a flat "no" when he wanted a trade. Atlanta did make it easier with that sign and trade deal. They already really like Daiw and that first round pick looked really promising. But then ATL lucked out in the lottery and jumped up to #3. They took Horford.

People forget about the 07’ pick not conveying because Atlanta moved up into the top-3. Not only was it bad luck for us but the Hawks drafted Horford and made the playoffs for what ten straight years? Who knows though we might’ve taken Yi Jianlian as a stretch-5.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People forget about the 07’ pick not conveying because Atlanta moved up into the top-3. Not only was it bad luck for us but the Hawks drafted Horford and made the playoffs for what ten straight years? Who knows though we might’ve taken Yi Jianlian as a stretch-5.
I think the Suns had their eye on Joakim Noah.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is interesting. It’s a new management team, so we really do not have an organizational MO on what we should expect in resigning our own free agents—-unless Sarver is still running the negotiations himself.

Oubre thinks very highly of himself based upon the scuttlebutt from the Wizards world, and that is one of the reasons they were willing to move him. It would be really interesting to see where both sides are.

In an amicable but genuine disagreement, the Suns would make an offer, Oubre would say he is going to check out the FA market and see if he can get a better deal. At this point, either he or the Suns (or both) must also be exploring sign and trade deals. If that is the case, I am really surprised that nothing has leaked. Usually agents do that to ramp up competition.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. It’s a new management team, so we really do not have an organizational MO on what we should expect in resigning our own free agents—-unless Sarver is still running the negotiations himself.

I know the Suns front office is not going to talk about pending free agents but I wish they were talking to the media more about other things so fans do not feel left out in the dark.

My concern is the Suns will enter another quiet era like when Lance Blanks was the General Manager.

Also the local media seems to be left out of the loop in what the Suns are doing. This could hurt them later on.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know the Suns front office is not going to talk about pending free agents but I wish they were talking to the media more about other things so fans do not feel left out in the dark.

My concern is the Suns will enter another quiet era like when Lance Blanks was the General Manager.

Also the local media seems to be left out of the loop in what the Suns are doing. This could hurt them later on.

I don't think transparency has worked out all that great for them.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You raise some very good points. Now that the league has officially opened for business (July 6), the Suns need to address the public and do some real PR work on their draft and trades and also get Kelly Oubre signed. Do they even have a PR staff?? Stupid to keep everyone in the dark, that sure doesn't sell tickets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You raise some very good points. Now that the league has officially opened for business (July 6), the Suns need to address the public and do some real PR work on their draft and trades and also get Kelly Oubre signed. Do they even have a PR staff?? Stupid to keep everyone in the dark, that sure doesn't sell tickets.

This is where I am at as well. At least put the Suns face out there for the fans. Summer league is an easy place to do it and there are many things to talk about besides free agents. The Suns have signed their rookies and they can talk about new players like Baynes, Saric and Kaminisky. We know James Jones is there and I bet Monty Williams is there as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is the chance that Oubre is taking a page from the Bledsoe playbook and has just gone dark—hoping the Suns will panic and up their offer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns do not have to share everything they know. They can share what they can. It's more about making themselves available.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol long as suns dont give oubre the max ill be fine :)

Hoping to hear good news on this soon we need obure on this roster...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It seems rumors, and I am not saying they start them, but potential free agents, etc., the Phoenix fans either go overboard demanding a player, or instantly turn on the Suns that the players is not good enough, overspent, etc.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
#shhh

I honestly don’t know what that means lol
It's his personal slogan or something like that. I don't particularly get it, bit it is meant to mean not to sleep on him or something like that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dallas had 23 million in space, if Wright chewed up more than 8 million of it then Oubre is out of suitors.

The other factor for the Suns is we're, supposedly, looking for another SG, depending on what we do with Korver's contract we would need to sign a SG before signing Oubre.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dallas had 23 million in space, if Wright chewed up more than 8 million of it then Oubre is out of suitors.

The other factor for the Suns is we're, supposedly, looking for another SG, depending on what we do with Korver's contract we would need to sign a SG before signing Oubre.

Albert Nahmad‏ @AlbertNahmad
Mavs now have no more than $14.6M of cap room available after the Delon Wright signing.

Bobby Marks

Verified account
Bobby Marks Retweeted Albert Nahmad

Cap space in Dallas goes away once they sign their own free agents: Porzingis, Kleber and Finney-Smith

Looks like Suns are now the only real option for Oubre. Hope they give him a good offer and sign him asap.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Oubre hes a good fit for a 6th man maybe. But it seems nobody likes Oubre as much as Oubre.

I hope he doesnt get all butthurt.

Lets get him signed throw him a bone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I like Oubre hes a good fit for a 6th man maybe. But it seems nobody likes Oubre as much as Oubre.

I hope he doesnt get all butthurt.

Lets get him signed throw him a bone.

Oubre is only 23... He can sign a solid 3 year deal, in the $12-$14 million per year range. Play well and when he’s 26 years old, go grab the mega-deal! [emoji106]

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Oubre could already have an offer from the suns that no one else is willing to excede.

How much cap space do the suns have currently, prior to signing Oubre?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Plus, I haven't seen Rubio sign yet. Did Kaminsky sign? From what has been said, everyone else has to sign first before Tsunami Papi. We could already have a deal. Just he has to be last to sign. So waiting on everyone else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson