Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm glad we ended up with something. I'm tired of seeing trades for players who all end up bought out or waived. I'm not expecting much from Carter but I suppose he'll provide some depth and experience at guard, which is good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm glad we ended up with something. I'm tired of seeing trades for players who all end up bought out or waived. I'm not expecting much from Carter but I suppose he'll provide some depth and experience at guard, which is good.
??? - he has as much experience as okobo

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

He is a decent jumper, but by bouncy I am thinking of the way he responds defensively.

I see what you mean. He moves like CP3 and Stephon Marbury. Hope he develops something on the offensive end. Shooting above 35% from deep is vital. Maybe add something in the middle and a drive with a tear drop later.

I really liked Melton. He showed great things when he first won the starting PG job and in spurts later. Hope he makes it in the league. Hopefully Jevon Carter is equally positive as a nose tackle defender. I'm rooting for him.

To me the team looks more promising in actual wins than what we had last year. We still have some youth but we also have proven NBA players that are not over the hill players on their last contract.

Rubio, Ty Jerome, Carter
Booker, Tyler Johnson
Bridges, Cam Johnson
Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes

I think this team should win above 30 games if they stay healthy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The waived players give us cap that ends up in players. Like Oubre, eventually.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
??? - he has as much experience as okobo

I thought he'd been in the league 2 years and not just the 1. That's still more than Ty Jerome, Lecque, and Harper. So while he is limited in playing time, that's more experiencing than 3 guys who will be in the PG rotation.

I don't know if Harper and Lecque will make the opening day roster but Lecque signed a deal with the first 2 years guaranteed, similar to how we've signed 2nd round picks lately.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought he'd been in the league 2 years and not just the 1. That's still more than Ty Jerome, Lecque, and Harper. So while he is limited in playing time, that's more experiencing than 3 guys who will be in the PG rotation.

I don't know if Harper and Lecque will make the opening day roster but Lecque signed a deal with the first 2 years guaranteed, similar to how we've signed 2nd round picks lately.
I thought we technically signed him to 4 years. I think initially it was 2 years plus 2 team option years?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we technically signed him to 4 years. I think initially it was 2 years plus 2 team option years?

Yeah, only the first 2 are guaranteed with 2 additional years as team options. I only mentioned guaranteed years because those will definitely count against the cap, the other years aren't an issue until he plays the first 2.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, only the first 2 are guaranteed with 2 additional years as team options. I only mentioned guaranteed years because those will definitely count against the cap, the other years aren't an issue until he plays the first 2.
What I liked, is if he turns out to be a player, we essentially have 4 years to develop him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen much from Carter but I was looking up something else and noticed he was a 2 time Lefty Driesell Defensive Player of the year winner. That is given to the "most outstanding men's college basketball defender in division I". I know that sounds promising but I knew I heard that before and when looking at past winners, Elfrid Payton came up as the recipient in 2014. I hope Carter doesn't end up being like Payton. After seeing that I've lost some of my optimism that Javon will be a quality backup for us. I hope I'm wrong and Elfrid is more of the exception there. I'm glad we're not counting on Javon for a lot with Lecque, Jerome, and Tyler Johnson all here already to handle backup PG duties if necessary.

Here's a link to that award, if anyone is interested. There are some quality players like Anthony Davis who have won it but Kent Bazemore also won it and then some players who never amounted to anything in the NBA.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like this pickup. Hes like a honey badger on D if that rubs off on some of the other players its worth it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen much from Carter but I was looking up something else and noticed he was a 2 time Lefty Driesell Defensive Player of the year winner. That is given to the "most outstanding men's college basketball defender in division I". I know that sounds promising but I knew I heard that before and when looking at past winners, Elfrid Payton came up as the recipient in 2014. I hope Carter doesn't end up being like Payton. After seeing that I've lost some of my optimism that Javon will be a quality backup for us. I hope I'm wrong and Elfrid is more of the exception there. I'm glad we're not counting on Javon for a lot with Lecque, Jerome, and Tyler Johnson all here already to handle backup PG duties if necessary.

Here's a link to that award, if anyone is interested. There are some quality players like Anthony Davis who have won it but Kent Bazemore also won it and then some players who never amounted to anything in the NBA.
The telling thing is that he won that award twice--which no other player has ever done. I stand by my perception that he is a better defender than Melton.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The telling thing is that he won that award twice--which no other player has ever done. I stand by my perception that he is a better defender than Melton.

I was so not impressed with Okobo last season, he's got some real competition that will beat him out this year.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was so not impressed with Okobo last season, he's got some real competition that will beat him out this year.
I never really saw anything special from Okobo. I am ready to move on from him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have really stocked up on point guards and ball handlers in Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, Jevon Carter and Elie Okobo.

And this does not include Devin Booker.

Then there is Jared Harper on a two-way contract.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I liked Jevon Carter. He reminds me of Shaq Herrison the way he attacks defending one on one. I thought we should have3 kept Shaq despite his offensive weaknesses because of how disruptive he could be. Hoperfully Jevvon and can stick. Melton hasn't shown any great defensive skills, IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Jevon Carter. He reminds me of Shaq Herrison the way he attacks defending one on one. I thought we should have3 kept Shaq despite his offensive weaknesses because of how disruptive he could be. Hoperfully Jevvon and can stick. Melton hasn't shown any great defensive skills, IMO.

Melton got his hands on the ball often but other than that I was never thrilled with his defense. Carter reminds me a lot of Derek Fisher but with even better hands. He has an obvious NBA skill, I just don't know if it will be enough to keep him on the floor.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Melton got his hands on the ball often but other than that I was never thrilled with his defense. Carter reminds me a lot of Derek Fisher but with even better hands. He has an obvious NBA skill, I just don't know if it will be enough to keep him on the floor.
Carter was the prototypical 3D PG prospect coming out of college. While he didn't shoot well from 3's last year in limited time, he absolutely showed it in college. There is less potential with him than Melton, but far more production. He should be a great fit next to Book as a future back up PG. I actually like what Carter brings more than I like Jerome. I doubt he gets PT though since they just traded to get Ty.

Melton has the potential to be an elite defender, not just great. His timing and instincts are really good. He just is so far behind on O that it's hard to see past.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter was the prototypical 3D PG prospect coming out of college. While he didn't shoot well from 3's last year in limited time, he absolutely showed it in college. There is less potential with him than Melton, but far more production. He should be a great fit next to Book as a future back up PG. I actually like what Carter brings more than I like Jerome. I doubt he gets PT though since they just traded to get Ty.

Melton has the potential to be an elite defender, not just great. His timing and instincts are really good. He just is so far behind on O that it's hard to see past.

I don't want to agree with you on Jerome. Not that you're not likely correct, I just want so badly for Jerome to become a PG star for us that I don't even want to utter words that suggest otherwise.

I think Melton has a place in the NBA whereas I'm not sure Carter will last for long but I don't know that I'd put one above the other when it comes to potential? Carter looks to be a very fun addition that hopefully will be contagious when it comes to getting under the skin of opponents.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just based on the eye test, and limited viewing of Carter, it looks like he's more of a high energy defender while Melton was more of a high IQ defender. I don't know which I prefer. I guess I'll take energy since we have multiple options at backup PG, at least with energy you'll know when he's out there because he'll do something to make sure you see him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just based on the eye test, and limited viewing of Carter, it looks like he's more of a high energy defender while Melton was more of a high IQ defender. I don't know which I prefer. I guess I'll take energy since we have multiple options at backup PG, at least with energy you'll know when he's out there because he'll do something to make sure you see him.
The key for me isn’t the minuscule difference between their defensive style, but their ability on the offensive end. Can either one run a team? Can either one shoot?

Melton couldn’t run the team OR shoot, so I have no problem giving Carter a go. Both Rubio and Ty Jerome are known as team guys, so we don’t have much to lose at this point giving these guys what amounts to an audition.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave