TJ Warren Traded to Pacers

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright and after free agency if we didn't get someone like randle or dlo with the cap space I'll admit that the trade wasn't a success

Not necessary. For one thing, I'm not really against the trade. I'm disappointed in the need for the trade and I do believe it's a steal for the Pacers. I'm not at all sure it wasn't the best we could do though and as always I choose to give the front office the benefit of the doubt until I just can't.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Looks like we just effectively traded TJ Warren, #6 and #32 for Dario freaking Saric (i.e., Bender part deux) and #11. We just got majorly hosed. $arver is still running the show, and it's still all about extra $$$ going in his pocket.

Saric is better than Bender...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJ posted a goodbye message to Phoenix on his instagram....

Today marks a new chapter in my life and career, I’m proud to officially become an Indiana Pacer.
I’m excited to join such a first class organization and community.
The starting of one chapter means one is ending.
To the Phoenix Suns organization, thank you, you gave me an opportunity to fulfill my life long dream of competing in the NBA; for that I will forever be grateful.
To the community of Phoenix I want to say thank you for the past 5 years of my life, you embraced me as one of your own and I will forever be thankful for that.

Link....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never saw Warren as a public figure for the suns, so I’m not sure what his “community” talk is.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJ was cool but I’d rather have Saric. I’ve seen anyone miss more time with some oddball stuff than TJ. He’s the ultimate empty stats guy

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJ was cool but I’d rather have Saric. I’ve seen anyone miss more time with some oddball stuff than TJ. He’s the ultimate empty stats guy
I do not believe at all that TJ was empty stats. His scoring was a great addition. He also did it with great efficiency and without dominating the ball. He also was improving on D. He will continue to do well in the league.

He was just miscast as a pf. We needed a pf and we had too many SF’s. Mikal needed minutes and Oubre will need them too. So we essentially swapped TJ for Saric. Similar value but meets a need.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't think of the last player on the Suns that is going to another team that wasn't already on the downside of their career and without any ill will between him and the team. TJ may have asked to be dealt but we don't know. It was about time to part ways regardless of whether he asked out. If he did ask out, he didn't make it public and kill his value entirely. Yes, we didn't get much in a deal for him but I don't see attaching a 2nd round pick to be very much to move him without taking any salary back in return. That was the goal in trading him and even teams looking to clear salary this summer have taken something back in return, even if it's not much.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can't think of the last player on the Suns that is going to another team that wasn't already on the downside of their career and without any ill will between him and the team. TJ may have asked to be dealt but we don't know. It was about time to part ways regardless of whether he asked out. If he did ask out, he didn't make it public and kill his value entirely. Yes, we didn't get much in a deal for him but I don't see attaching a 2nd round pick to be very much to move him without taking any salary back in return. That was the goal in trading him and even teams looking to clear salary this summer have taken something back in return, even if it's not much.
“. . . get much . . .” We didn’t get anything. Can’t ciunt capspace when they could’ve gotten that by waiving and stretching Tyler. That’s not a tangible asset.they. Oils have received a pick and still gotten capspace. That would be “getting” something.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
“. . . get much . . .” We didn’t get anything. Can’t ciunt capspace when they could’ve gotten that by waiving and stretching Tyler. That’s not a tangible asset.they. Oils have received a pick and still gotten capspace. That would be “getting” something.

Are you trying to get a job at the White House?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But what if they value Tyler as a player and maybe not for just this season? I know some are down on him but I really like what he brings to the court especially his intensity on defense. We all know he's not worth his contract but I believe we're a better team with him on it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with what Steve said.....

But what if they value Tyler as a player and maybe not for just this season? I know some are down on him but I really like what he brings to the court especially his intensity on defense. We all know he's not worth his contract but I believe we're a better team with him on it.

Everyone here seems to talk about stretching Tyler Johnson like it's something that can be done with little to no thought but if you've listened to any of the interviews with Monty Williams since he's been hired, he's praised Tyler's tenacity and motor specifically as something that he wants from all of our players. That's why I've been skeptical the Suns would stretch him. Why would we waive someone the new coach has gone out of his way to praise and mention as an ideal role player for us? It makes no sense.

So we dumped Warren for cap space instead. TJ being someone who no longer really fit into the team that's being constructed. Yes, he was traded with a 2nd round pick. 2nd round picks rarely pan out and for a team looking to add more experienced players that are ready to play now, that 2nd round pick didn't hold a lot of value to us. So I stand by what I said, we didn't get anything but cap space but that cap space was put to immediate use as soon as free agency opened and we were able to add a veteran PG and a veteran big that can space the floor. Those players fit the team that's being built and will also help change the culture that's been here the last few years. How many wins did we average with TJ as the #2 scorer? Unlike Booker, TJ is not someone with star potential so moving away from what we were by moving him is fine by me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave