OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
From The Economist

The european union gets a lot of flak. All right, it isn’t literally blasted with anti-aircraft fire, but you know what we mean. One ongoing battle (ok, nobody died) involves the use of words. Earlier this year, the European Parliament’s agriculture committee voted to prohibit the terms “burger”, “sausage”, “escalope” and “steak” to describe products that do not contain any meat. It was inspired by the European Court of Justice’s decision in 2017 to ban the use of “milk”, “butter” and “cream” for non-dairy products. Exceptions were made for “ice cream” and “almond milk”, but “soya milk” went down the drain, lest consumers assume it had been extracted from the soya udder of a soya cow. The court has yet to rule on the milk of human kindness.

Greens are mounting a campaign against the committee’s decision, which they suspect is supported not only by linguistic purists but also by the meat industry. This newspaper thinks the parliament is quite right to protect citizens from the confusion they would no doubt feel were they to find that no part of a “veggie burger” was made of the flesh of a dead animal. Indeed, this praiseworthy initiative needs to go further.

“Escalopes” pose a clear danger to consumers, who might well recoil in horror when, taking a mouthful of one, they discover that it is made not of the scallops from which it got its name but of chicken or veal. “Sausages” should refer only to heavily salted meat, whence the term derives; for clarity, consumers should be informed that the item is encased in animal intestine. Steaks should be sold only on a pointed stick, on the grounds that most shoppers will rely on the proto-Indo-European etymology. Any confusion could be avoided if kebabs were, as their Arabic root suggests, always sold burned. The production of burgers should be restricted to the butchers of Hamburg, long ago deprived of their intellectual property by a shocking failure of linguistic regulation. The same right should be extended to makers of Frankfurter sausages—sorry, meat-filled gut. And “meat” itself should apply to all food, sweet or savoury, which would make the term historically accurate, if useless.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoa...I was just about to ask if it was cheap. Share your recipe!

Basic Recipe:
1. 1 cup Oats, rinse off twice thoroughly in strainer before proceeding;
2. 4 cups of Water;
3. Optional: add dates or vanilla for flavor;
4. Add pinch of salt at end of process as a preservative. Without the salt, it goes bad after a day or two.

See video here for one way to do it with a blender, and straining at the end. Youtube is your friend. My son makes it by straining it through bags; My wife splurged and got a Soybella milk maker, which also uses almonds or soybeans;

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basic Recipe:
1. 1 cup Oats, rinse off twice thoroughly in strainer before proceeding;
2. 4 cups of Water;
3. Optional: add dates or vanilla for flavor;
4. Add pinch of salt at end of process as a preservative. Without the salt, it goes bad after a day or two.

See video here for one way to do it with a blender, and straining at the end. Youtube is your friend. My son makes it by straining it through bags; My wife splurged and got a Soybella milk maker, which also uses almonds or soybeans;

How long will it last in the fridge? (with salt added)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How long will it last in the fridge? (with salt added)

We are just doing one quart bottles and are still pretty new to this. Should be ok for 3 days or so, maybe longer but still figuring this out. Had a batch go bad last week since we made too many bottles and went out of town before we drank it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are just doing one quart bottles and are still pretty new to this. Should be ok for 3 days or so, maybe longer but still figuring this out. Had a batch go bad last week since we made too many bottles and went out of town before we drank it.

Not bad. Thanks!

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
About as well thought-out as their law.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Would you resort to cannibalism if you absolutely had to, or would you be content to just go out as happy vegan?

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Would you resort to cannibalism if you absolutely had to, or would you be content to just go out as happy vegan?

Living people are repulsive. I bet they’re worse when dead.

So, no.

Any particular reason you ask? Lol.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Hmm, you are probably right

I don't really know why my brain thinks of these things.

This reminds me of a Cardinals game I went to in the 1990s. There was a bad call and this older lady in the crowd near me grabbed her crotch and yelled “Eat me!” to the back judge.

Ah, memory burn.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
This reminds me of a Cardinals game I went to in the 1990s. There was a bad call and this older lady in the crowd near me grabbed her crotch and yelled “Eat me!” to the back judge.

Man, that was probably the best offer he got all season!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave