Kawhi and George to Clippers

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If OKC was going to part with George, I really like what they got in return, Shai and Galllinari, plus all the picks.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we may be done with the orchestrated 3 player super team. That 3rd player always gets crapped on and overshadowed.

This is good news for the Suns with Booker and Ayton in place. If they can develop into stars, good coaching and complimentary pieces should be able to get us back in the playoffs in the future and hopefully contending.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Dallas could be a threat to sign Oubre as they still have salary space.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Crazy...just think if KD and Klay we’re never hurt and KD had stayed what the Pacific Division would’ve looked like...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Dallas could be a threat to sign Oubre as they still have salary space.

Dallas is a wild card. They seemed poised to make an offer on Delon Wright, but Memphis made some moves to prepare to match an offer. Also Phoenix cleared out JJ and salary so an Oubre match seems inevitable too.

I don't see them throwing down an offer sheet so big that we don't match. I don't think anyone wants to give Oubre 17+ million it would take to give us pause.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Anyone else think these super teams are a NBA killer? Basically you got both LA teams and Golden State that are almost shoe ins for the title. The only other team that I see that may have a small chance is Denver and Utah due to there style of play.
I don't think the Lakers are any where close to show ins for the title, they have two great but injury prone players and the rest of there team / depth is one of the worst in the NBA , it's a team sport I'm going to be shocked if they get higher than the 6th seed , they needed Kawhi to make this a title team. If LeBron or AD gets injured they don't even make the playoffs

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas is a wild card. They seemed poised to make an offer on Delon Wright, but Memphis made some moves to prepare to match an offer. Also Phoenix cleared out JJ and salary so an Oubre match seems inevitable too.

I don't see them throwing down an offer sheet so big that we don't match. I don't think anyone wants to give Oubre 17+ million it would take to give us pause.

I was only throwing out Dallas as they could be a competitor for Oubre.

A QO might be a worse threat to the Suns keeping Oubre long term.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The trade is for kawhi and Paul George. Would you do that trade for those 2? I would, in a heartbeat. I get what you mean, I just don't think the clippers do that deal if kawhi isn't in the bag already. The clippers are my favorites for next year. Kawhi, PG, and Pat Beverly starting.....doc coaching....defensively they are going to be a juggernaut.

We should inquire about sga at the very least

It seems more likely that they got Kawhi CONTINGENT on them getting George.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion but with the way these trades are looking and with next year being a really bad year for free agents I bet the sun's could set up their franchise for the next few years by trading Booker

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion but with the way these trades are looking and with next year being a really bad year for free agents I bet the sun's could set up their franchise for the next few years by trading Booker

For more picks in hopes we get a player in the same caliber as Booker? He's 22!

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
For more picks in hopes we get a player in the same caliber as Booker? He's 22!
Not saying to do it just throwing out the idea.

And for Picks and promising players I mean we wouldn't get the return that OKC got but a player like Shai along with a bunch of 1st could be worth it in the long run. And besides if we don't start winning this could become a reality anyways

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get my mind around what OKC got in return for George.

They were not going anywhere with the players they had and this trade sets them up nicely for the future and they still have Westbrook. Five first round picks plus Shai and Gallanari.

Here are the details again:

The Clippers are sending Oklahoma City their unprotected 2022, 2024 and 2026 picks, their unprotected 2021 and protected 2023 first-round picks via Miami, and the rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025, league sources said.

The Clippers also are sending point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari to the Thunder in the deal, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27129474/sources-clippers-land-leonard-george

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The West is going to be very competitive this year, there will be some good teams that don't even make the playoffs. Suns will have an improved team but still in the lottery for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Harden and CP3 stand there wondering what happened.

And Toronto feeling happy about a championship but still left with nothing in return for Kawhi.

I was hoping if they lost him, they would get a return similar to OKC.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I can’t wait until there is a stretch of teams that dominate the super teams and end this super team madness. That’s why Jordan, Bird and the rest are legends. They didn’t seek out other superstars to play with.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He didn't force his way out, there was never a peep about any of this, if Kawhi had signed with the Lakers or Raptors then George is still in OKC and no one is the wiser. He only asked to leave to play with Kawhi.

Whatever the reason, he still successfully forced his way out early in a long term deal.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I wonder where Westbrook is going to go, they are apparently going to trade him and completely start the rebuild

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get my mind around what OKC got in return for George.

They were not going anywhere with the players they had and this trade sets them up nicely for the future and they still have Westbrook. Five first round picks plus Shai and Gallanari.

Here are the details again:

The Clippers are sending Oklahoma City their unprotected 2022, 2024 and 2026 picks, their unprotected 2021 and protected 2023 first-round picks via Miami, and the rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025, league sources said.

The Clippers also are sending point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari to the Thunder in the deal, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27129474/sources-clippers-land-leonard-george
I do think we over rate picks. The Clipper picks are going to be late first round. The Miami puck could be Ok since I think Miami needs a lot more than Jimmy Butler to succeed.

All those picks likely translate into fairly mediocre players. The likelihood of ANY of them being in the lottery is slim.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I do think we over rate picks. The Clipper picks are going to be late first round. The Miami puck could be Ok since I think Miami needs a lot more than Jimmy Butler to succeed.

All those picks likely translate into fairly mediocre players. The likelihood of ANY of them being in the lottery is slim.
Most of them will be, but there is no telling where that 2026 pick is going to land. They may have to completely blow it up by that point and if they do they would be really wanting that pick. That being said the opportunity to compete for titles for the next few years is almost certainly worth the price.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of them will be, but there is no telling where that 2026 pick is going to land. They may have to completely blow it up by that point and if they do they would be really wanting that pick. That being said the opportunity to compete for titles for the next few years is almost certainly worth the price.
That is 7 years away. The further in the future the less value for the pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I wonder where Westbrook is going to go, they are apparently going to trade him and completely start the rebuild

Which teams need a point guard, fit his timeline and have the assets to trade for him without gutting their team?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the trade based on Shai and Gallanari plus all the picks and swapping arrangements.

I think there is a fairly good chance they will be able to draft a player of consequence with all these opportunities.

Also OKC may be able to use some of these assets to trade for another star of their own. OKC still has Westbrook so they are not left without anything.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
A lot of franchises are apparently in "buy now, pay later" mode. I get the appeal of doing it, but mark my words, at least one of them will have it come back to bite them later.

This packs the West... not that the balance wasn't already strongly in that direction, as it has been for the last decade or more. I don't see the Clippers as being all that definitively stronger than anyone else in the West, though. There is going to be a lot of parity among the top contending six or seven teams out here, and the conference playoffs are going to be a dogfight next year. It's just sad for the East, which continues to look like cold mashed potatoes by comparison.

The best part of all this is seeing the Lakers, their fanbase, and Lebron get snubbed. The Lakers have forever acted like it's their God-given right to get whatever they want and need on a silver platter from other teams or players. And over the course of his career, Lebron has become the same kind of entitled spoiled brat, believing that everyone else should put his interests above their own. It's nice to see both get a well-deserved slap down... even if I would have preferred Kawhi to stay in Toronto, too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of franchises are apparently in "buy now, pay later" mode. I get the appeal of doing it, but mark my words, at least onne of them will have it come back to bite them later.

This packs the West... not that the balance wasn't already strongly in that direction, as it has been for the last decade or more. I don't see the Clippers as being all that definitively stronger than anyone else in the West, though. There is going to be a lot of parity among the top contending six or seven teams out here, and the conference playoffs are going to be a dogfight next year. It's just sad for the East, which continues to look like cold mashed potatoes by comparison.

The best part of all this is seeing the Lakers, their fanbase, and Lebron get snubbed. The Lakers have forever acted like it's their God-given right to get whatever they want and need on a silver platter from other teams or players. And over the course of his career, Lebron has become the same kind of entitled spoiled brat, believing that everyone else should put his interests above their own. It's nice to see both get a well-deserved slap down... even if I would have preferred Kawhi to stay in Toronto, too.

It's sort of like what the Nets did years ago in the Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce trade but they bounced back nicely.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here and say this is pretty bad for the NBA.
You may have a point but in other ways it's so good for the NBA not to have to put up with the Lakers and Lakers fans after building another dynasty there.

Many of my Lakers friends are in full.......

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson