Jackson, Melton dumped

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon has a better contract than I thought. He signed a 4 year $76 million extension that actually goes down in pay. He got 21 last season, 19 this coming year, 18 the following, and 16 in the last year.

I thought he signed a max deal, or near max, but less than $80 million for 4 years and de-escalating isn't bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you believe in your newbie, the worst thing to do is to let him learn by making all his mistakes on your team, and the fire him so he can go be successful for another team--Steve Kerr, David Griffin.

or maybe you don't go newbie at all... and go after David Griffin who was available.

continuing to go with inexperienced GMs who come on the cheap has bitten us in the ass FOREVER with Sarver teams. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity and from reports, it looks like we have yet another inexperienced GM who has to "learn the ropes" making questionable decisions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My friend works in the front office and Gordon’s name is at the top of the list for the 4 position. He knows the Suns and Orlando have talked about moving him. I guess the time isn’t right but his name has been up there since the end of the season. Could be a nothing burger. But he said the decision makers are very high on him.

I think the only reason he may be available is because he is overpaid.

I will say I just looked at his advanced stats, and he is a much better defensive player than I thought, and has improved his shooting every year. Still I don't see him becoming worth that huge contract he has.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is how I view the recent moves, and I might be in the minority on this I’m fine with these moves and the cost to do it. I also think this team is considerably improved.

With Oubre returning being the final move of the offseason, what do you believe the win total of this team is?

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon has a better contract than I thought. He signed a 4 year $76 million extension that actually goes down in pay. He got 21 last season, 19 this coming year, 18 the following, and 16 in the last year.

I thought he signed a max deal, or near max, but less than $80 million for 4 years and de-escalating isn't bad.

I know they need guard play and have like 8 PF and centers on that roster. Throwing Tyler there direction and maybe a protected first will pry him away. He would be a huge upgrade at the 4, resign Saric and you have the makings of a really nice front court.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
or maybe you don't go newbie at all... and go after David Griffin who was available.

continuing to go with inexperienced GMs who come on the cheap has bitten us in the ass FOREVER with Sarver teams. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity and from reports, it looks like we have yet another inexperienced GM who has to "learn the ropes" making questionable decisions.
Certainly. But once you have him . . .

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Uh the Sixers got back Jonathan Simmons, a 1st and a 2nd for fultz. How does that remotely compare to this trade?

They also gave up what turned out to be a lottery pick this year to move up to select him and the first they got back turns into 2 seconds if OKC doesn't have a top 10 record next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I will say I just looked at his advanced stats, and he is a much better defensive player than I thought, and has improved his shooting every year. Still I don't see him becoming worth that huge contract he has.

He's basically making what Rubio is. He has 3 years and $54.5 million left on it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think he is overpaid, but I cannot imagine what we would have to give up to get him. Maybe he is disgruntled and asks out or something.

Tyler and a couple first rounders?

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
With Oubre returning being the final move of the offseason, what do you believe the win total of this team is?[/

30-35 wins, with a huge upside. I’m a firm believer that certain players and there attitudes and bad coaching screwed this team last year. If everything goes really, really well 40 wins.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's basically making what Rubio is. He has 3 years and $54.5 million left on it.

Yeah, it isn't as bad as I thought.

I just don't see him ever getting to star level.

I mean for Tyler Johnson and a top 10 protected first, I guess it would be an ok move.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, it isn't as bad as I thought.

I just don't see him ever getting to star level.

I mean for Tyler Johnson and a top 10 protected first, I guess it would be an ok move.
He is already a way above average PF. We have our stars in Ayton and Booker. I believe you build around your two players is with above average players at there position.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is already a way above average PF. We have our stars in Ayton and Booker. I believe you build around your two players is with above average players at there position.

I believe you build around them also - but I think if you want to seriously contend you need 3 not 2.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
today is literally the first time anyone said this, IIRC.

Someone posted it on realgm prior to the draft. Don't recall mention of vomit but that he did show up hungover and had to be sent home.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987 17m17 minutes ago

While it is extremely likely the Suns will buyout Kyle Korver because it seems unrealistic to think any team will trade for him I do expect Jevon Carter to be on Suns roster as 4th PG - tough, hard nosed, pressures full court, high energy. Which means Okobo will likely be gone

I guess the Suns are collecting point guards like an NFL team adds cornerbacks.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns roster as of now

Stars
Booker

Above legit
Ayton

Legit
Oubre
Rubio
Bridges

Solid contributor
Byrnes
Saric
Tyler

Filler
The rest

I’m only going off Sarics stats don’t know much about him he could be legit and Tyler has potential to be legit also if we find his niche.

We need at least so more players that are at least legit and a solid contributor and Ayton to develop into a star and we have something to be excited about

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Melton was not a good defender last year.

I doubt either Melton or Okobo become rotation players but I think Okobo has the better chance. I liked his court vision more and he seemed quicker.

Nobody was a good defender but Melton at least put forth the effort and had better metrics than a player like Bridges. I’m going to follow how Melton does along with the less than 2% of the cap saved by not stretching JJ. Only time will tell.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nobody was a good defender but Melton at least put forth the effort and had better metrics than a player like Bridges. I’m going to follow how Melton does along with the less than 2% of the cap saved by not stretching JJ. Only time will tell.

The ultimate question is whether Ty Jerome and one year of Aron Baynes are going to be that much more effective than the combination of Melton, the Bucks pick and whomever the Suns could have signed with the money that is going to Baynes.