FOOTBALL CONTENT: Defensive Personnel Analysis

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-defensive-personnel-analysis

We're just a few weeks away from the release of Football Outsiders' annual, and I'm really excited to see what they have to say about the debacle from last year and what's possible this year. Here's the key graph about the Cards, but, as always, read the whole thing:

Football Outsiders said:
Denver clocked in at just under 45 percent, but still led the league in base usage. That 45 percent mark is the lowest number for a league leader we have seen; last year, three teams were up over 50 percent. The Broncos will probably change significantly going forward with Vic Fangio calling the shots; you can see the Bears were nearly the exact opposite of the Broncos in terms of base-nickel splits.

That defensive musical chairs game continues, as ex-Broncos head coach Vance Joseph is heading down to Arizona, who finished dead-last in base defense a year ago. No team stuck in one personnel grouping as much as the Cardinals did last year, but we're likely to see a ton more of seven men in the box as Joseph tries to help Arizona's defense bounce back. Ex-Cardinals coach Steve Wilks moves to Cleveland, so they should see their nickel percentage rise dramatically in 2019. He replaces ex-Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who heads to the Jets, so you'd expect New York to use more base as they adopt Williams' scheme. That means ex-Jets coach Todd Bowles will take his scheme to Tampa Bay, so you'd expect the Buccos to run out more defensive backs in 2019. You might need a corkboard and some colored string to keep track of all this, but these defenses will look mostly schematically the same in 2019, just all wearing different jerseys.

I'm as skeptical about a scheme that takes Budda Baker away from the line of scrimmage as I was about one that backed Tyrann Mathieu deeper into the secondary. One thing we will be able to find out quickly in the preseason games is what and who the 5th defensive back is about.

I think we'll put an additional corner in, but I still despair about keeping Budda 10-yards in the defensive backfield. Our safety group might is neck and neck with our ILB group as the weakest on the defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Neck and neck for as bad as the ILB corps? Swearinger and Baker? With intriguing depth in Deionte Thompson? I don't see it. We have Jordan Hicks and a ham someone left in the sun as starters. Depth wise, there's nothing.

I wouldnt sleep on Gardeck. Showed something on special teams, is fast with decent size.

I think Reddick will move into solid starter category this year.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Neck and neck for as bad as the ILB corps? Swearinger and Baker? With intriguing depth in Deionte Thompson? I don't see it. We have Jordan Hicks and a ham someone left in the sun as starters. Depth wise, there's nothing.

Neither Swearinger and Baker are what one could call natural free safeties. Both are more attuned to being strong safeties who should be closer to the box. This could be a weak link in the secondary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave