Holmes SACed!

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
had to chime in on the worst part of a really bad summer (besides for hiring Williams which was a plus)

how could we manage to lose Holmes to Sacramento for 10 mil, 2 years?
for once we had our center position down
Holmes was everything we could want from a backup
energy, defense, interior scoring, and a great attitude
he was one of the best things about the Suns

and i was just trying to get over trading Warren and #32 for what amounted to cap space for Rubio?

awful, just awful management

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It was obviously intentional. They chose Kaminsky for the same amount.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I think everyone liked Holmes. I would rather have him than kaminsky too. Im guessing they just wanted to freshin stuff up, change the culture.

And Holmes offensive ability was zero, simply some uncoordinated euro steps that some worked out through sheer will power.

Glad hes established himself in the league though with $10m

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't lose Holmes for Kaminsky, we lost him because of Baynes. Baynes is a superior rim protector and offensive player. I think Holmes sealed his fate when he got busted with pot. I know it's just pot but the Suns have only brought in high character guys and making an exception for a backup like Holmes wouldn't send the right message.

Kaminsky will be playing PF more than C and Baynes will be Ayton's primary backup.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I think everyone liked Holmes. I would rather have him than kaminsky too. Im guessing they just wanted to freshin stuff up, change the culture.

And Holmes offensive ability was zero, simply some uncoordinated euro steps that some worked out through sheer will power.

Glad hes established himself in the league though with $10m

I disagree. He had surprising touch around the rim especially for a back-up center. He was not just a rim running dunker.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Not happy they lost him to a rival. What else is new! That would have given the team more flexability in the middle and they could've been more dynamic in moving Ayton around a little more. Not happy with the Kaminski signing. Holmes fit just fine here.

This org. better overwhelm with the cap space next off season. NOT holding my breath.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not happy they lost him to a rival. What else is new! That would have given the team more flexability in the middle and they could've been more dynamic in moving Ayton around a little more. Not happy with the Kaminski signing. Holmes fit just fine here.

This org. better overwhelm with the cap space next off season. NOT holding my breath.

dude... if they overwhelm with the cap space next off-season you are going to probably be PISSED because the FA class SUCKS.

This was the off-season to try and overwhelm. Make a big swing. Looks like to me we basically bunted hoping to get on first base.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
dude... if they overwhelm with the cap space next off-season you are going to probably be PISSED because the FA class SUCKS.

This was the off-season to try and overwhelm. Make a big swing. Looks like to me we basically bunted hoping to get on first base.
Like Bickley said Baby steps. Ayton getting much better is their hope, and three's draining. They obviously need the Oubre signing too. But Holmes was VERY doable.

I have no idea who they're trying to load up on for next off season?! They'll still only have like a 25% chance at an impact signing if there is one!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't lose Holmes for Kaminsky, we lost him because of Baynes. Baynes is a superior rim protector and offensive player. I think Holmes sealed his fate when he got busted with pot. I know it's just pot but the Suns have only brought in high character guys and making an exception for a backup like Holmes wouldn't send the right message.

Kaminsky will be playing PF more than C and Baynes will be Ayton's primary backup.

This. Baynes is better in every aspect. It’s actually a pretty big upgrade.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good for holmes he played with effort every gm he was here

Gl on kings

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Holmes was part of the Suns party club.
All the Suns moves are about cleaning that up.
Some club members are too valuable to get rid of, some are not.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aka, Ayton, Booker.

What % smoke or worse in NBA?

Ayton isn’t part of that at all, but Josh Jackson and Holmes are. Podcast have been talking about how the front office wasn’t really a fan of his

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the issue with moving on from a player that was a big part of a 19 win team. I liked Holmes, I liked his energy and thought he was an above average backup but at the same time I understand that the team shouldn't place a priority on players who helped the team underachieve last season.

Holmes is making as much as the backup we brought in to replace him, Kaminsky & Baynes are both making $5 million this season, and trying something new isn't a bad thing since we know how much Holmes moved the needle, we don't know how much they will. The hope is to change the culture here and improve the team, that's less likely to happen with a bunch of guys from the team that sucked last year.