5 white guys and Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can you name one NBA team over the last 50 years with fewer elite athletes?
The pre-Barkley Suns era weren't a very athletic squad at all but they had good success. I will say that Majerle was a better athlete early in his career before he bulked up and became primarily a scrappy 3 ball guy.

KJ
Knight
Hornacek
Majerle
Ceballos
Perry

Chambers
West
Lang
Rambis

Adding Barkley and Dumas added some much needed athleticism in '93, but even that finals team wasn't very athletic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The pre-Barkley Suns era weren't a very athletic squad at all but they had good success. I will say that Majerle was a better athlete early in his career before he bulked up and became primarily a scrappy 3 ball guy.

KJ
Knight
Hornacek
Majerle
Ceballos
Perry

Chambers
West
Lang
Rambis

Adding Barkley and Dumas added some much needed athleticism in '93, but even that finals team wasn't very athletic.
Chambers was a fantastic athlete. So was Lang.

You must be registered for see images attach

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but Cam Johnson's mother Amy Schuler is a white basketball player who played at Kent State, so 5.5 white guys?

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

KJ
Knight
Hornacek
Majerle
Ceballos
Perry

Chambers
West
Lang
Rambis

As you stated, majerle was athletic early in his career. And west and Lang were athletic. Particularly Lang. And chambers was definitely athletic. Not many 6’10 players have ever had the lift he did when we acquired him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

KJ
Knight
Hornacek
Majerle
Ceballos
Perry

Chambers
West
Lang
Rambis

This one is close, but as you noted here, KJ and Ceballos were both elite athletes, as was Majerle at that early stage. If you consider Perry an elite athlete (which I imagine you do by listing him in bold here), that gives the pre-Barkley Suns a 4 to 1 advantage over the current Suns squad. And that's not even counting underrated athletes like West, Lang and Chambers.

The 80s Celtics are closer, but they at least had Tiny Archibald/Dennis Johnson at the point, Parish at center, a supreme two-sport athlete in Danny Ainge and (depending on the year) ML Carr, Cedric Maxwell, Quinn Buckner or Reggie Lewis.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

With all of his crafty scoring, I had forgotten just how athletic Chambers was. The pre-Barkley Suns actually blow away the current Suns athletically.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
We hired a black GM and a black coach, and they added 5 white players and 1 black player in one off-season.

I guess it at least proves they have no personal prejudices. This team is breaking stereotypes all the way around. All we need now is a black owner.
Honestly, it never crossed my mind that most of these additions are white. Now, Bender must certainly be gone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when we had small ball. What do we call this? Under the Rim ball? No....let's not go with that. Maybe beneath ball? Just no good ones. Screw it....let's just watch em play. Worse case scenario I just sim all season on NBA JAMs for some boom shakalaka.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Tom's early career athleticism deteriorated quickly IMO.

As for Lang, he was more athletic than West but he couldn't run either and when he got the ball around the basket he often transformed into a 6'5" Center who had trouble going over the top with his shot. They were both strong but not athletic on the floor.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tom's early career athleticism deteriorated quickly IMO.

As for Lang, he was more athletic than West but he couldn't run either and when he got the ball around the basket he often transformed into a 6'5" Center who had trouble going over the top with his shot. They were both strong but not athletic on the floor.
Doubling down are you? Chambers remained quite athletic most of his career and with Lang, well, you do not get almost 4 blocks/36 like he did in 92/93 without being quite athletic. His bread and butter was blocking shots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KJ
Knight
Hornacek
Majerle
Ceballos
Perry

Chambers
West
Lang
Rambis

uh... Chambers was a great athlete.

and that last team was an also ran, who got their doors blown in by Portland in 5 games in the second round.

Not to mention you're talking about the game 27 YEARS AGO.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you guys think that those Suns teams (89-92)were an athletic squad you're stoned. Or you were stoned 30 years ago.

Those were 50 and fade teams who had success without much athleticism on the floor relative to Portland, LA, San Antonio, Seattle etc. Those Suns were well coached more than anything.

Granted teams are more athletic now (obviously) but that wasn't the point being made, it was in reference to someone's ridiculous claim that this current Suns team is the least athletic team in the last 50 years.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you guys think that those Suns teams (89-92)were an athletic squad you're stoned. Or you were stoned 30 years ago.

Those were 50 and fade teams who had success without much athleticism on the floor relative to Portland, LA, San Antonio, Seattle etc. Those Suns were well coached more than anything.

Granted teams are more athletic now (obviously) but that wasn't the point being made, it was in reference to someone's ridiculous claim that this current Suns team is the least athletic team in the last 50 years.

And yet those Suns teams were supremely athletic compared to the current rendition of the Suns. Says something, doesn't it?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Mavericks right now... the Rockets right now... the Spurs right now...

That's three teams in ONE state!

This is a really stupid concern.

Above average athletes on those teams (* denotes elite athlete/athletic freak):

Porzingis*, Powell, Hardaway Jr.*, Kostas Antetokoumnpo, Finney-Smith*

Harden*, Capela*, Gordon, Gerald Green*, Shumpert*, Rivers*

Aldredge, DeRozan*, Murray*, Metu*, Pondexter, Walker*, Gay

Try again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Above average athletes on those teams (* denotes elite athlete/athletic freak):

Porzingis*, Powell, Hardaway Jr.*, Kostas Antetokoumnpo, Finney-Smith*

Harden*, Capela*, Gordon, Gerald Green*, Shumpert*, Rivers*

Aldredge, DeRozan*, Murray*, Metu*, Pondexter, Walker*, Gay

Try again.

Lol... your list shows just how little you know about those teams.

You listed Rudy freaking Gay... you think Rivers kid is an elite athlete...

No. I won't try again, your evaluations are a joke.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah.
By the time '93 rolled around he was already slower, lost a lot of lift and his change of direction was not sharp.

That’s every player every year. It’s not like he wasn’t athletic any longer. He had a pretty good reverse dunk on the Bulls I think that year if I remember correctly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s every player every year. It’s not like he wasn’t athletic any longer. He had a pretty good reverse dunk on the Bulls I think that year if I remember correctly.

the idea that the 93 Suns weren't athletic with Barkley, Dumas, Ceballos, KJ, West and even Oliver Miller who could lead a fast break at a 6'9 ton of fun, and an aging Chambers doesn't make much sense to me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that’s the name of our offseason.

Interestingly enough, individually I understand and like each addition. But in the aggregate we’ve added 5 white guys and the least athletic black guy in the draft.

PG Rubio - like him as a pass first, defensive pg. brings stability.

SG/PG Jerome - good shooter, good length. Poor athlete.

SF Cam Johnson - great shooter, slight build, awful athlete.

PF saric - good size, good enough shooter, heady basketball player. Underwhelming athlete.

C Kaminsky - tall, underwhelming for a “shooter” not a great athlete

C Baynes - tough guy, good vet

See I like each of them. But at the end of the day, who projected us to add 5 white dudes and an unathletic black dude this offseason? I know people don’t like bringing race in the discussion, but in today’s nba let’s face reality, how many good mba teams have 6 white guys on their roster? We do.
The Packers can do it with the whitest team ever made

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The discussion was about the pre-Barkley Suns teams. Keep up.

oh... you mean the conversation where you just decided to ignore Lang and West's athleticism, and Majerle's on the 91-92 team hadn't yet become a three-point bomber? That happened the summer we got Barkley because he had to step up into Horny's spot. Up to the point, he was still going to the basket and had just started to extend his range. And even on the 93 team, he was still a good athlete.

Or is it the conversation where you said and I quote "Even the 93 Finals team wasn't very athletic"? to which I responded how wrong you were there as well?

How about you keep up with your own arguments before scolding others to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA