2019 Free Agency

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this smell a lot like the 2003 Rod Graves building the belly of the team off-season... right down to trading the 6th pick where a position of desperate need was there for the taking that we traded back for two a couple of middling prospects.

I DO think this team will be better, but to what end? I think they're looking at a 30-40 win team for the next three years. Hope to be proven wrong as we wrack up the whitest, most unathletic bench I've ever seen to go with an average athletic starting lineup.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Basically Gambo said Kawhi is holding up Oubre decision. The feeling is, Oubre's camp wants to wait to see where Kawhi goes, and then if he gets an offer. It sounds like more of a Clippers chance tp offer than Lakers, but who knows?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this smell a lot like the 2003 Rod Graves building the belly of the team off-season... right down to trading the 6th pick where a position of desperate need was there for the taking that we traded back for two a couple of middling prospects.

I DO think this team will be better, but to what end? I think they're looking at a 30-40 win team for the next three years. Hope to be proven wrong as we wrack up the whitest, most unathletic bench I've ever seen to go with an average athletic starting lineup.
Funny how we are complaining about the black management team (JJ and Monty) going out and getting white guys to fill the bench. There is some irony in that after the years we had with a pasty white GM named McDonough prioritizing athleticism above everything.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Funny how we are complaining about the black management team (JJ and Monty) going out and getting white guys to fill the bench. There is some irony in that after the years we had with a pasty white GM named McDonough prioritizing athleticism above everything.
Also, this is the most unathletic NBA team ever! White guys, unathletic. Hmmmm. Stereo type much?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also, this is the most unathletic NBA team ever! White guys, unathletic. Hmmmm. Stereo type much?
To be fair, saric, kaminsky, Jerome, Rubio, Baynes are all fairly unathletic. These guys aren’t Rex Chapmans. Rubio is likely the most athletic of them all and I’ve never heard it said that he was athletic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To be fair, saric, kaminsky, Jerome, Rubio, Baynes are all fairly unathletic. These guys aren’t Rex Chapmans. Rubio is likely the most athletic of them all and I’ve never heard it said that he was athletic.

Chapman, Majerle, Chambers and Ainge are four of the most athletic players we have ever had. It's not about race. It's about athleticism, or lack thereof. With its current make-up, this Suns roster will be run and jumped off the court.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Who is this guy talking about Oubre? Reliable? Don’t toy with my emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is a good friend of Brawadis. Who happens to be real close to devin Booker. Doubt it has legs though

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ARRRRRGH!!!!! Kawhi is holding everything up and it’s driving me crazy.

Relax

Games don’t start til Halloween.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Steph Curry isn’t all that athletic either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no problem with the idea of being color blind and not judging guys athleticism solely on the color of their skin. Porziginis is an athletic freak. Hayward's was a solid athlete pre-leg injury. But you'd have to be LITERALLY blind to argue that saric, kaminsky, Jerome, Rubio, Baynes are all good NBA athletes and all of them save Rubio are flat out below average defenders. Throw Cam into that mix as another unathletic guy and in today's NBA, I don't know how well that ends up working, especially when it looks like JJ might be gone leaving the entire team with TWO great athletes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have no problem with the idea of being color blind and not judging guys athleticism solely on the color of their skin. Porziginis is an athletic freak. Hayward's was a solid athlete pre-leg injury. But you'd have to be LITERALLY blind to argue that saric, kaminsky, Jerome, Rubio, Baynes are all good NBA athletes and all of them save Rubio are flat out below average defenders. Throw Cam into that mix as another unathletic guy and in today's NBA, I don't know how well that ends up working, especially when it looks like JJ might be gone leaving the entire team with TWO great athletes.

Who is the second?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton, Jackson

I would consider all these great athletes. Booker's speed puts him in that category. Just my opinion of course.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know how much I buy this. Last off-season was supposedly all about adding shooting AND athleticism. Ariza was lauded by a lot here as a great 3 and D guy (you in particular continually referred to him as "in his prime") but he wasn't a super athlete and in the draft they used two first round picks on what everyone here called one of the "the most ready prospects" in the draft with Bridges, who was another 3 and D guy, with only good, not great athleticism but who's shooting would immediately transfer over to the league.

and literally NONE of his picks prioritized athleticism over everything else. TJ Warren wasn't a great athlete. Booker wasn't a great athlete. Len wasn't a great athlete.

The only guy who seemed to overwhelm McDonough athletically was Josh Jackson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I would consider all these great athletes. Booker's speed puts him in that category. Just my opinion of course.

Booker is a below average athlete. It's why he slipped in the draft and also why his defense is subpar despite his best efforts. Booker is crafty, not speedy.

Bridges is also a below average athlete. It was the primary knock on him going into the draft last year.

Jackson is gone. We all know that.

Oubre isn't re-signed yet, and his athleticism is average.

That leaves Ayton as an elite athlete on this roster. Just Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They aren't great athletes by NBA standards. Ayton and Oubre are superior athletes. Bridges and Booker are good athletes. And from what everyone's saying here, Jackson's probably as good as gone.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know how much I buy this. Last off-season was supposedly all about adding shooting AND athleticism. Ariza was lauded by a lot here as a great 3 and D guy (you in particular continually referred to him as "in his prime") but he wasn't a super athlete and in the draft they used two first round picks on what everyone here called one of the "the most ready prospects" in the draft with Bridges, who was another 3 and D guy, with only good, not great athleticism but who's shooting would immediately transfer over to the league.

and literally NONE of his picks prioritized athleticism over everything else. TJ Warren wasn't a great athlete. Booker wasn't a great athlete. Len wasn't a great athlete.

And Marquese Chriss.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chriss was also in mind.

Did I say "in his prime" a lot? I don't remember. Really, I don't. Anyway, your assessment of McD is different and that's fine, it's not a hill I am willing to die on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss was also in mind.

Did I say "in his prime" a lot? I don't remember. Really, I don't. Anyway, your assessment of McD is different and that's fine, it's not a hill I am willing to die on.

yeah. it was weird... and usually in response to me wondering why everyone was celebrating what a great pickup he was... after we just added our 33rd SF in the draft right before FA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns will slow their tempo down?

I'd think if the team was looking at being this weak defensively, they'd want to run, shoot as much as possible... but you need athletes for that.

it's why I fear a really weird, kinda ugly team. They REALLY need Oubre to come back. If all those unathletic dudes are just spot players and our core really revolves around Book, Oubre, a much improved Ayton and Bridges, spot duty for the others won't kill them. But Oubre is the difference i think between this team possibly winning 30-35 games or not being much better than last year.