2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Wolves actually had a realistic plan to clear space.

It's a head scratcher but Russell comes out with a contract bigger than anyone thought possible.

Maybe it was all about the money.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Phrazbit, I think the Wolves were bluffing or D'Angelo's agent was. He wanted to ensure he got his client paid and to a team he wanted to be on. He got that. I'm surprised he's going to Golden State but it shows how little some of the talking heads really know. Everyone had him going somewhere else. Some had him coming to Phoenix, others the Knicks, the Wolves, the Lakers. Now he's a Warrior and will help them a lot while Klay is rehabbing. I think he's overpaid though. I'm glad we're not paying him damn near $30 million a year.

Booker shouldn't be mad either. How he can he blame the Suns that his best friend signed with the Warriors? Best in the West vs worst in the West, it wasn't much of a debate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No wonder the Suns didn't chase after him.

Who is to say they didn't? I would balk at that price if I were James Jones. He's a nice player but if the Booker connection wasn't there, I highly doubt 90% of Suns fans would be ok with them even offering him the max.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Phrazbit, I think the Wolves were bluffing or D'Angelo's agent was. He wanted to ensure he got his client paid and to a team he wanted to be on. He got that. I'm surprised he's going to Golden State but it shows how little some of the talking heads really know. Everyone had him going somewhere else. Some had him coming to Phoenix, others the Knicks, the Wolves, the Lakers. Now he's a Warrior and will help them a lot while Klay is rehabbing. I think he's overpaid though. I'm glad we're not paying him damn near $30 million a year.

Booker shouldn't be mad either. How he can he blame the Suns that his best friend signed with the Warriors? Best in the West vs worst in the West, it wasn't much of a debate.

I don't think the Wolves were bluffing, I think they're just stupid. I'm guessing they thought there would be a serious market for Wiggins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Wolves were bluffing, I think they're just stupid. I'm guessing they thought there would be a serious market for Wiggins.

This is where I am at now. I guess the Warriors feel they can make it work.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is to say they didn't? I would balk at that price if I were James Jones. He's a nice player but if the Booker connection wasn't there, I highly doubt 90% of Suns fans would be ok with them even offering him the max.

My guess is the Suns found out what type money Russell was asking and moved on.

I wouldn't want the Suns to commit this type of money to him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My guess is the Suns found out what type money Russell was asking and moved on.

I wouldn't want the Suns to commit this type of money to him.

For me, it depends on what the Suns do with the $12 million per year difference. If it goes toward another rotation player, I can get behind that. If it goes into Robert Sarver's pocket, though...

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's a decent haul. I'm surprised they gave up Iggy...he was one of their core players.

Edit: This had to have been a salary dump

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Wow, so DLO was impossible for us to sign after all. Makes me feel a bit better about the Rubio signing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to the death of sign and trades the next time the league updates the CBA.

These are the kinds of loop holes the league has been trying to close for teams way over the cap... but, clever work by the Warriors.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's where the bluff was, I think. There were reports they could open up the cap space easily within 24 hours and I don't think that existed. Just because teams make stupid signings didn't mean someone was going to take that Wiggins deal from them, they're stuck with that. Maybe the Wizards would swap him for John Wall but even then they'd take on more money so what would be the point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a decent haul. I'm surprised they gave up Iggy...he was one of their core players.

Edit: This had to have been a salary dump

Iggy threw the Warriors under the bus in his book. He talked about how they lied about his injury during the 2018 playoffs when they said he had a bone bruise but he had a fractured leg. He all but said they misdiagnosed KD also, the implication was there. It was kind of weird to hear him be so forthright in how he spoke about the Warriors with more time on his deal. I thought he'd be traded and the Warriors sent him to the Grizzlies for his comments, which is about as low as you can go.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow, so DLO was impossible for us to sign after all. Makes me feel a bit better about the Rubio signing.

Not impossible, but we would have had to stretch Tyler Johnson and unload Josh Jackson, something I would have done in a second (especially since Jackson is gone, anyway).

Again, to me it comes down to what the Suns do with the $12 million per season they saved by signing Rubio instead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave