True Detective: Season 3 (HBO)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way they cracked the case in season 2 was just as absurd as when they made you think Colin Farrell's character had died.

Him recalling seeing an casual interaction that a witness had with someone else... an interaction that happened like... 6 months prior... while Colin Farrell's character was in the middle of a massive coke binge and was drinking straight from the bottle in every scene.

I could see season 3 being better because they've actually spent a couple years developing it, while I think they wrote season 2 on the back of a cocktail napkin.

Season 2 was still worth watching though. Farrell and Kitsch were surprisingly good in their roles and Vince Vaughn was delightfully terrible.

agreed. the only reason i give season 3 a chance is because they took their time coming up with it and Ali is the lead.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Season 2 was nowhere near as bad as some people claim, it was ok. It just was not as good as season 1 in part because it lacked the occult theme.

People expected season 2 to continue with the Lovecraft flair.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Season 2 was nowhere near as bad as some people claim, it was ok. It just was not as good as season 1 in part because it lacked the occult theme.

People expected season 2 to continue with the Lovecraft flair.

Season 2 was completely devoid of humor. Season 1 had all those moments between Woody and Matthew that were hilarious but also gave you real insight into their characters, season 2 had nothing like that. Just pure drudgery with completely screwed up people. Vince Vaughn was a disaster in that role. And the way they cracked the case was completely absurd... Velcoro remembers some random interaction he saw at a distance MONTHS before while he was riding a steady diet of booger sugar and booze, and he goes from his photographic memory moment to them heading into that kids house at the exact moment that dude is setting off to finish his scheme.

I mean... it was Scooby Doo level stupid... probably lower because I don't recall Fred every going on massive coke binges to fuel his moments of clarity.

The other massive gripe... who were the victims? For most of the season the case was about finding who killed some massively corrupt city official and who stole some B level mobsters money, finally in the last 2 episodes when you find out some kids got orphaned years ago by these criminals.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The first 2 episodes of season 3 premiered last night. Off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching it. Very good. If anyone isn't watching just because of season 2 then they are missing out. Great performances all around.