2019 Free Agency

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Warren and Jackson were capable of driving and putting opposing defenses off balance, which indirectly led to open shots. Plus they could create for themselves.

Combine that with not being improved at the PG position, and the result is obvious.
Oubre off sets a lot of what you got from those guys. A step forward from Ayton helps as well. And again we are likely going to bring in a guard (probably to start) in free agency. Therefor we will not have a harder time scoring than we did last season. As to the guys you pointed out. Warren could only create for himself and rarely created for others and JJ was absolutely atrocious as a creator in general. This offense will likely be much more ball movement heavy this year as well and the subtraction of Warren and the addition of Saric kinds of points to this idea.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Warren and Jackson were capable of driving and putting opposing defenses off balance, which indirectly led to open shots. Plus they could create for themselves.

Combine that with not being improved at the PG position, and the result is obvious.

How many games did Warren play?

Dude your argument flat out sucks.

Canaan, Melton, Okobo is not better than Joseph/Johnson and Jerome. It's just not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All quiet on the Sun's free agency front. They're either not doing anything or have their plans locked down. I believe agents are the ones who are mainly leaking stuff right now so maybe the agents who the Suns are talking too are also keeping things quiet. I hope.

Sometimes I think the Suns are one of the few teams who play by free agency rules.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Gambo is waiting for breaking news as well.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Free agency begins today. We did our best to get you as many names as possible that the Suns will have interest in but obviously we don’t know every player. As news breaks we will try to get it to you as quickly as possible or at the least have immediate reaction. Enjoy the day.

10:41 AM - 30 Jun 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another name to keep in mind.

David Aldridge‏Verified account @davidaldridgedc

One under the radar name to keep an eye on as free agency gets underway: Shane Larkin. The ex-Celtics PG had a great season for Anadolu Efes in the Turkish Super League in 2018-19 (12 ppg, 45 percent on threes), leading Anadolu to EuroLeague title game. Also TSL Finals MVP. (1/2)

8:20 AM - 30 Jun 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems reasonable for Valanciunas.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Once free agency opens at 6 PM ET, center Jonas Valanciunas is expected to commit to a three-year, $45M contract to return to the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell ESPN.

10:49 AM - 30 Jun 2019

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I maintain that without a point guard to create for others while keeping opposing defenses honest, this team will struggle to score 70 points and win 10-15 games.
Come on 70pts? Where does this stuff come from? My God 70pts. Not one person on this board would think 70pts but one. Lol 70pts

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want Joseph ...great price and a spurs product. Having his and Tyler's D is huge.

And entirely incapable of shooting or facilitating. We already have that in De'Anthony Melton.

And if there extended stretches with Tyler and him on the floor together, expect extended stretches where this team doesn't score at all.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I want Joseph ...great price and a spurs product. Having his and Tyler's D is huge.
He has shown some signs that he can be a pretty good facilitator as well. Wish he shot the ball better, but his defense and passing next to Booker could be pretty good.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And entirely incapable of shooting or facilitating. We already have that in De'Anthony Melton.
Joseph is just fine. He's an upgrade over Melton big time. You know it but you have a hard time admitting you're wrong. Your opinion of Joseph is wrong. But that's your take

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has shown some signs that he can be a pretty good facilitator as well. Wish he shot the ball better, but his defense and passing next to Booker could be pretty good.

He averages less than 4 assists per game in over 25 minutes of playing tine. I wouldn't call that being a "pretty good facilitator".

I can't believe people on this board suddenly think Cory Joseph would be a good signing. In virtually every statistic, Cory Joseph is worse at the point than Tyler Johnson, and he isn't all that much better than Melton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joseph is just fine. He's an upgrade over Melton big time. You know it but you have a hard time admitting you're wrong. Your opinion of Joseph is wrong. But that's your take

Numbers don't lie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s looking more and more like as fans we are desperately trying to talk ourselves into players that are not going to change our trajectory much. I am still holding out hope myself to get one more impact player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't want Phx to overspend just to make a move. We need to keep building but be smart. Sooner or later we will get back to the dance. Taking a damn long time esp with the last 4yrs but don't screw yourself anymore by spending crazy money on borderline stars

Or spending crazy money on sub-par bench players like Cory Joseph.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It’s looking more and more like as fans we are desperately trying to talk ourselves into players that are not going to change our trajectory much. I am still holding out hope myself to get one more impact player.
The players that control our trajectory are already on the roster for the most part (Booker, Ayton, Bridges and hopefully Oubre). In my opinion we just need to surround those guys with a solid supporting cast and some solid coaching and we will see a much improved team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking keeping Oubre and adding a sound point guard will improve the Suns trajectory a lot.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We definitely need an upgrade at PG. PF We have an average upgrade coming from zero PF. Center, SG, and SF we are good. PG is the priority. Let's see how this plays out. One thing I have to say James Jones runs a tight ship. We have some speculative rumors, but no one really knows what we are doing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah they don't. Joseph finished the season 4th among point guards in defensive RPM. Regularly defending the team’s best player. That right there has to sting every time you read it cause it blows your whole take outta the water

We need offense as well, and Joseph is a negative on that end of the floor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose