2019 Free Agency

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I'm not sure you're catching what I mean. Say you use Oubre's cap hold to offer a restricted free agent a contract. The RFA's current team decides not to match. Even if we have other ways of creating the cap space to take on the contract, are we now required by rule to renounce Oubre since we used his cap hold to offer the contract in the first place?

If that was the only way to create cap space then yes we would. However all we need to do is stretch tj and move either jj or Melton to create cap space.

More often than not this tactic is only used to scare teams to the table so they'd do a sign-and-trade instead. The last time I believe it was successfully (as in just signing a front loaded tender) was on Jeremy Lin

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@JCSunsfan Here's what you have been waiting for!
OH yes. I think we could get him fairly cheaply and his skill set is perfect. We could sign Rose with the space we have, he can play the 1 or 2 and we can keep Oubre. Its the best of all worlds. If he has to sit out games with injuries, we develop Ty Jerome. We can also keep TJ.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might help with the Suns keeping Oubre as the Kings reportedly plan to keep Harrison Barnes. I was concerned they might pursue Oubre.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been said, but I don't care to look; what is Brogdon's expected offer? $15M/year? Suns will almost assuredly have to overpay no matter what.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am not sure it's overpay for Brogdon. It's human nature. I am Brogdon on a playoff team I like, playing with the NBA MVP. The Suns come knocking and say we will match what you make now, come over to Phoenix. If I am Brogdon I say now way! You have to offer more salary to make it tempting to get Brogdon. It's just human nature.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Man I think you just have to see what happens with Russell's rights with Brooklyn before you go all in on Brogdon. If Brooklyn renounces DLo's rights, you focus on him and explore that instead of tying up your cap on a restricted player who I think will get matched. It's not that I would be against Brogdon, but it's risky.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
This might help with the Suns keeping Oubre as the Kings reportedly plan to keep Harrison Barnes. I was concerned they might pursue Oubre.

Nice! That would be one threat less on the Oubre front.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Man I think you just have to see what happens with Russell's rights with Brooklyn before you go all in on Brogdon. If Brooklyn renounces DLo's rights, you focus on him and explore that instead of tying up your cap on a restricted player who I think will get matched. It's not that I would be against Brogdon, but it's risky.
I wholeheartedly agree. I would rather not tie up our assets, but go after unrestricted guys. We will know pretty quickly who gets unrenounced.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s a lot of cheddar for Barnes

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure you're catching what I mean. Say you use Oubre's cap hold to offer a restricted free agent a contract. The RFA's current team decides not to match. Even if we have other ways of creating the cap space to take on the contract, are we now required by rule to renounce Oubre since we used his cap hold to offer the contract in the first place?

You don't "use" Oubre's cap hold to create cap space. Even if you do nothing, Oubre's cap hold keeps counting against your cap until you extend him or match his offer sheet or withdraw the the QO and renounce his rights.

So if you offer a RFA an offer sheet while Oubre's cap hold is counting against your cap (that's the basic/starting condition) and their team matches the offer, then you just returned into your starting position.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So do we really think that Oubre has less appeal than Barnes, at this stage of their careers?
I take Oubre. I think he is still developing. Barnes I believe has established his game as far as he can go. Where Oubre is, with potential, I would roll with Oubre. If I had a playoff team, I'd want consistency, that would be Barnes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Jackson might be next to impossible, renouncing Oubre is way too risky because of Brogdon's RFA status.

Trading Jackson is not impossible, it's all about the amount of draft pick compensation required

They would only renounce Oubre if they know he is getting a 20 million dollar offer and have no intention of matching

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So do we really think that Oubre has less appeal than Barnes, at this stage of their careers?
I think Harrison still has considerably more appeal based on 3pt % alone. Oubre is still below average where’s Barnes is clearly above average and has hovered around 40% for the past three seasons.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Why cant we trade JJ and a first for Russell. Wouldn't that allow us to keep TJ and bring in Russell at a starting salary of 20m or 23 if we ship out Okobo and Melton?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
1m

Sources: Golden State is planning to offer All-Star Klay Thompson a 5-year, $190M maximum contract when free agency opens Sunday at 6 PM ET --- which is expected to accelerate process of GM Bob Myers and Thompson’s agent, Greg Lawrence, quickly reaching formal agreement.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Why cant we trade JJ and a first for Russell. Wouldn't that allow us to keep TJ and bring in Russell at a starting salary of 20m or 23 if we ship out Okobo and Melton?

I am sure they would love to, but I am not sure that the Nets would go for it. They have no use for Jackson, and I doubt our pick (if at all protected) has much value.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Seems to me that JJ and first would be better than nothing. If they plan to let Russell go any way.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
1m

Sources: Golden State is planning to offer All-Star Klay Thompson a 5-year, $190M maximum contract when free agency opens Sunday at 6 PM ET --- which is expected to accelerate process of GM Bob Myers and Thompson’s agent, Greg Lawrence, quickly reaching formal agreement.
This is absolutely what I would do. They are already saving money since he didn't make the All NBA team. He has the possibility of doing that in the next five years.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
1m

This has been the biggest non-story "story" I have seen this offseason from the media. No way they are not offering Klay the max and not a penny less the second they can. They would've paid him the super max had he been eligible. He's as big a part of this Warriors era as Steph in my opinion, even though Steph gets most of the attention. They'd be silly to even consider not giving him every dollar available to him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose