The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Conley play and clothesline were just dumb by both players. but highlighted is what i think are dirty moves. To me dirty is where you do a Draymond kick to the balls, a Bowen foot plant, etc.

Okay, fair enough, I didn't pay close enough attention to that sentence. But I disagree, what Raja Bell did was dirty in every way IMO. For me, anytime you go outside of the rules to create a situation that will or could easily lead to injury, that's a dirty play. Some players that I would usually dismiss for this award, such as Robin Lopez, just have rage issues and aren't typically dirty.

Beverley is a very smart player and knows exactly what he's doing. If he isn't actively trying to injure a player when he crosses the line, he's at least willing to overlook the fact that an injury may well occur. I'd put him above Manu for dirty, right there with Bowen - who still denies he ever actually tried to hurt another player. When Pat retires he'll probably get a bow tie too so everyone will also believe him when he lies through his teeth.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Accepting Eric Gordon’s salary would be as good as a free agent signing. Not sure if he is the fit, but he is a combo guard IMO.

The Suns signed Gordon to an offer sheet in 2012, but the Hornets matched. I don't know whether that means anything now, but Phoenix was interested in him seven years ago, anyway.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beverley is dirty as hell, worse than Green, and I think Green is really dirty.

Green does dirty stuff to cause pain, while Beverly, Zaza, Delladova, Bowen, John Starks... these dudes are out there straight up injuring players in really dangerous ways.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Wiggins has as much potential as the random draft picks we seem to stash in Europe every so often

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another thread, it was reported the Suns are not on Beverley's list of teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grizzlies decline qualifying offer on Tyler Dorsey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wizards pick up Moe Wagner and two other players from Lakers receiving a second round pick in return. It's good value for the Wizards.

That second round pick is in the loaded 2022 draft.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: Lakers are sending their 2022 second-round pick to Washington in trade to move Moe Wagner, Jemerrio Jones and Isaac Bonga to the Wizards.

11:21 AM - 27 Jun 2019

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lol,

Wolves offer -150 million dollars for Russell.

There, I fixed the headline.

Wiggins isn't the biggest bust of all-time, but when you consider that he was billed as a lock for superstardom... he's up there. He's lucky that Parker was also a disaster and that Anthony Bennett took the biggest waste of a top pick title the year before. He is absolutely terrible, don't let the ppg fool anyone, he's Beasleyesque, only without the risk of getting arrested.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanna talk more about that effort by the Wolves to get Russell in a sign and trade using Wiggins, especially after the reports that the Wolves felt they had "a path to Russell".

That is absolutely hilarious to me. Granted, the Suns are doing some low selling and looking silly, but that trade is such an absurd miscalculation of value by Minnesota that Russell could step on a freaking land mine tomorrow and the Nets still wouldn't consider it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give credit to the Wolves. Towns said he wanted Russel so they are at least trying something anything

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give credit to the Wolves. Towns said he wanted Russel so they are at least trying something anything

They tried something that wasn't going to happen. We have a better chance of trading Tyler Johnson for Steph Curry than the Wolves did of trading Wiggins for Russell.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They tried something that wasn't going to happen. We have a better chance of trading Tyler Johnson for Steph Curry than the Wolves did of trading Wiggins for Russell.

So what. They can only offer up what they can offer up at least they are trying.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So what. They can only offer up what they can offer up at least they are trying.
Is it really trying? Offering a bloated contract like Wiggins' to a team that is trying to free up space for top end free agents is futile at best. It would be trying if the Wolves were trying to only trade un protected picks. That would have a much better chance of actually happening.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think this would really help referees. I think sometimes NBA coaches scream and yell at refs when the coach KNOWS he is wrong, but he just wants to intimidate. The ref can look at a coach and say "Challenge or you are T'd up." It will eliminate a lot of complaining.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not like losing the one allowed challenge (as permitted) even if successful.

The team should retain the challenge as I view it if it is correct.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't have a quote but the NBA is considering shortening the season. Probably in the 75th anniversary season, in which I am assuming they go to 75 games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have a quote but the NBA is considering shortening the season. Probably in the 75th anniversary season, in which I am assuming they go to 75 games.

I would be surprised if they do it for more than a year. I've read a lot of the talk about shortening the season and it would decrease salaries. They would need to find a way to make up the revenue of the 7 game they'd take away. That doesn't sound like a lot but it's close to 10% of the season and they won't just pay the players the same while the owners miss out on revenue for those 7 games. Players aren't sacrificing that much from their salaries either.

I expect something to happen because Silver talks about shortening the season all the time but realistically someone will need to take a hit financially and no one is going to volunteer.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they do it for more than a year. I've read a lot of the talk about shortening the season and it would decrease salaries. They would need to find a way to make up the revenue of the 7 game they'd take away. That doesn't sound like a lot but it's close to 10% of the season and they won't just pay the players the same while the owners miss out on revenue for those 7 games. Players aren't sacrificing that much from their salaries either.

I expect something to happen because Silver talks about shortening the season all the time but realistically someone will need to take a hit financially and no one is going to volunteer.
Yup. I don't see a scenario in which both the players and owners (whoops, I mean governors) agree to this unless you can make up that revenue somewhere else. As a fan I don't want to see a shortened season but I have also been watching the game for 35 years and I like my basketball the way it is. The whole mid-season cup thing doesn't do anything for me and to me shortening the season means less basketball which is a huge L to me personally. I get the opposing view of trying to sustain player health and the regular season not mattering to the casual fan, however, I am not the casual fan, so I say leave it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The issue seems to be giving top players enough rest. Maybe if the NBA had a policy on resting players this would help so it would be uniform based on something like minutes played. However, it would probably have to be covered under the CBA.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson