2019 Free Agency

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's a huge margin in win percentage. I get why he's priority number 1. DLo or Brogdon could make a really big impact for us, but they might not make that big an impact. Small sample size, but it's compelling.

Agreed. What I really like about Oubre is that he does multiple things well, but also has a great attitude, plays with a little bit of nastiness, and has a lot of charisma. I think he is a good example of somebody being more important than his numbers suggest.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what to make outta that.

I agree, it's hard to make a lot out of this but it is the second time I think he has used the "Shhh" reference towards the Suns.

I'm taking it as a positive or why say anything at all.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Agreed. What I really like about Oubre is that he does multiple things well, but also has a great attitude, plays with a little bit of nastiness, and has a lot of charisma. I think he is a good example of somebody being more important than his numbers suggest.

Right, this is exactly why the suns need to retain Oubre. Although if he signs an offer sheet of 18m+ it becomes questionable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are not on Beverley's list of prospective teams per reports.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Basically all these reports say the sun's aren't interested in any good players.... This is all smokescreen right?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Signing Cory Joseph would be as bad of a move as signing Marcus Banks was, possibly worse. Joseph is actually an older, less athletic version of Banks.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The if and how questions of the Suns paying RFA Kelly Oubre Jr.
In the 40 games Oubre played, he had a team-high 108.6 offensive rating, a solid points output for a team per 100 possessions. Phoenix’s five lineups that featured Oubre in it for at least 30 minutes had net ratings of -4.2, -1.0, 1.8, 4.3 and 9.4. Compared to the Suns’ net rating on the season of -8.9 and those are pretty good numbers

A lot of that came when playing with Devin Booker. Of the six lineups the Suns featured for 50 minutes or more from December on that involved Booker, the best four also included Oubre at -4.2, 0.5, 4.3 and 9.4 net ratings. The other two net ratings not involving Oubre were -9.8 and -16.2.
https://arizonasports.com/story/199...stions-of-the-suns-paying-rfa-kelly-oubre-jr/

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, we've had multiple discussions here about how it was handled, and I keep coming back to the fact that it's impossible to know if they could have gotten better deals. I maintain that Warren had no value, and that anything from #4 on in the draft was a crap shoot. Player I wanted at #11 didn't go until #21, for example.

I think they did a fine job of adding two actual NBA players and two older rookies who will probably be able to contribute off the bench immediately. If they can add an actual NBA point guard, I will be happy with this off season.

I think the Suns are fine with the core of Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges for the time being. They need to have real NBA players around them. Baynes, Saric, plus a real point guard will go a long way towards making them look like an NBA team.

Totally agree. When I looked at the draft, after Barrett, pretty much all of the guys from pick 4 to the end if the 1st round were all pretty much equal.

Coby White? Not a good enough shooter and a below average facilitator.

Culver? Not great at any one thing. That means he'll probably be below average at EVERYTHING at least initially.

Clarke? Cant shot. The Suns needed a shooter badly.

IMO once you lost out on Morant, the PG position wasn't going to be improved at least in the short to mid term. So with that in mind, shooting became the priority. And like you said....adding good players, which the Suns did.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Overpay an impactful player or save the money to use elsewhere. This reminds me of the Stat contract. To me, even with Stat's bad knees, we were better off allocating the money to him, and Oubre is healthy and young with the potential to improve even more. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overpay an impactful player or save the money to use elsewhere. This reminds me of the Stat contract. To me, even with Stat's bad knees, we were better off allocating the money to him, and Oubre is healthy and young with the potential to improve even more. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

I prefer Oubre as well unless Booker really wants Russell.

Then I guess I want to know how adamant Booker is about wanting Russell.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I prefer Oubre as well unless Booker really wants Russell.

Then I guess I want to know how much Booker wants Russell.

Either way, we still need a veteran point guard in the worst way, and so does Booker, whether it's Russell or someone else.

Again, it doesn't need to be a star, but it needs to be a solid distributor and facilitator who can create open shots for others, who is a plus defender, and who has a good enough outside shot to keep opposing defenses honest.

Other than being a plus defender, Cory Joseph is none of these, and he doesn't give us anything more than Melton does.

McConnell is not a plus defender, and he can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

Beverley kind of fits all of this, but he is reportedly not interested in signing here.

Same for Collison.

WTF are we going to do to fill this gaping hole???

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I was doing this, I would throw a big contract at DLo and if he doesn’t accept or the Nets match, then I make a deal with the Rockets to receive Eric Gordon into cap space and call it an off-season except for minor signings.

Gordon is not the best passer but he can shoot and he has good handles and plays D at least marginally. He can take some of the ball-handling load off of Booker. He is better than Bledsoe IMO.

And I would sign/match Oubre.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I was doing this, I would throw a big contract at DLo and if he doesn’t accept or the Nets match, then I make a deal with the Rockets to receive Eric Gordon into cap space and call it an off-season except for minor signings.

Gordon is not the best passer but he can shoot and he has good handles and plays D at least marginally. He can take some of the ball-handling load off of Booker. He is better than Bledsoe IMO.

Especially with all of the pure spot-up shooters we have now, what we need the most is a point guard who can facilitate and create open shots for others. Gordon is most definitely not that guy. I wouldn't sign him as a free agent, let alone give up assets for him while helping another Western Conference team vie for a championship.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Signing Cory Joseph would be as bad of a move as signing Marcus Banks was, possibly worse. Joseph is actually an older, less athletic version of Banks.

I dont agree. Banks was terrible. He was pretty much unplayable after awhile. Cory Joseph will be a good defender at least. Hes like...a more seasoned Melton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dont agree. Banks was terrible. He was pretty much unplayable after awhile. Cory Joseph will be a good defender at least. Hes like...a more seasoned Melton.

Which means we're better off just playing Melton and hoping he develops into something better. Signing Joseph would be an absolute waste.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

$80m is nuts unless it’s 5 years from the Suns.

You gotta give the guy credit. He played really hard every night for a bad team and increased his stock.

If they lose him does that mean they're rolling with JJ?
If Oubre leaves the Suns are pretty thin on wings.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which means we're better off just playing Melton and hoping he develops into something better. Signing Joseph would be an absolute waste.

He would be better than nothing. Hes still better than Okobo and Melton.

Johnson/Joseph splitting the minutes at PG wouldnt be the disaster that Canaan/Melton/Okobo was last year.

Like others have pointed out, the Suns were playing .500 ball when Johnson started. Add another capable back up PG, plus the new additions and growth from young players, and the Suns should be markedly better.

When I watched the Suns last year, the had talent, but they lacked the depth that good NBA teams have. Joseph, Saric, Johnson, Baynes, and Jerome all help. None are huge negatives and should represent legit NBA players. Better than Melton, Bender, Jackson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$80m is nuts unless it’s 5 years from the Suns.

We will see if the Suns want to play in the big leagues.

I think they need to keep Oubre, or land Russell to be keep credibility with the fans.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson