2019 Free Agency

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That shot he took the season before that was up for shot of the year on TNT, was arguably the most difficult shot I have seen to extend a game. More than even Rex Chapmans. Booker was fading to his left, out of bounds, at very long distance, and put it right through the hoop, cold mamba assasin style!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That shot he took the season before that was up for shot of the year on TNT, was arguably the most difficult shot I have seen to extend a game. More than even Rex Chapmans. Booker was fading to his left, out of bounds, at very long distance, and put it right through the hoop, cold mamba assasin style!
Please let’s never use “mamba” in connection with a suns player ever again.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can't pass through timestamps apparently, it's around the 2:30 mark.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think the obsession with Brogdon has to do with the fact that he checks a lot of boxes. Ideally, we want a point guard who can run an offense, but can be effective off the ball as well, since Booker is going to have the ball in his hands most of the time. He should be a good defender, and a good three point shooter.

I don't think it's necessarily about Brogdon. It's about anyone who can be competent at running an offense, great on defense, and very good three-point shooter. Guys like Brogdon and Holiday check all those boxes. When you get to guys like Rubio, Collison, etc, you have to start compromising. Rubio can't shoot, Collison apparently is not as good of a defender as I thought he was watching him a few times, etc. Hell, even some of the top-tier PGs don't check some boxes. Russell is not good defensively, neither is Kyrie, neither is Walker. Walker, Conley, etc may not be effective off the ball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the obsession with Brogdon has to do with the fact that he checks a lot of boxes. Ideally, we want a point guard who can run an offense, but can be effective off the ball as well, since Booker is going to have the ball in his hands most of the time. He should be a good defender, and a good three point shooter.

I don't think it's necessarily about Brogdon. It's about anyone who can be competent at running an offense, great on defense, and very good three-point shooter. Guys like Brogdon and Holiday check all those boxes. When you get to guys like Rubio, Collison, etc, you have to start compromising. Rubio can't shoot, Collison apparently is not as good of a defender as I thought he was watching him a few times, etc. Hell, even some of the top-tier PGs don't check some boxes. Russell is not good defensively, neither is Kyrie, neither is Walker. Walker, Conley, etc may not be effective off the ball.

Brogdon's age is also ideal. He's one of the few PG options under 25 out there. Ideally he could be Booker's backcourt partner for the next 5 years and beyond. No one else offers that as well as good defense. Russell may be the right age but he wasn't viewed as a realistic option until he had his breakout season. Because of his leap this year people are willing to overlook his defensive deficiencies but I can almost guarantee that people would be talking about upgrading the PG spot after a year or so of a Booker/Russell pairing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But that’s just it . . . I don’t think Brogdon “runs an offense.” I think he checks off all the other items, but not “runs an offense.” And if he allegedly does, at 4.5 assists per 36 minutes (his projected average per 36 minutes over his three years in the league), he doesn’t do it well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that’s just it . . . I don’t think Brogdon “runs an offense.” I think he checks off all the other items, but not “runs an offense.” And if he allegedly does, at 4.5 assists per 36 minutes (his projected average per 36 minutes over his three years in the league), he doesn’t do it well.

He's been playing in an offense with another point guard and Giannis, who has the ball as much as about any point guard in the league. I think it's reasonable to think Brogdon's play making stats are a little under representative.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Brogdon's age is also ideal. He's one of the few PG options under 25 out there. Ideally he could be Booker's backcourt partner for the next 5 years and beyond. No one else offers that as well as good defense. Russell may be the right age but he wasn't viewed as a realistic option until he had his breakout season. Because of his leap this year people are willing to overlook his defensive deficiencies but I can almost guarantee that people would be talking about upgrading the PG spot after a year or so of a Booker/Russell pairing.
See I think we are so desperate, and Brogdon does so many things well, that we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. He’s really a shooting guard. He’s not really a point. If anything he’s a combo guard at best, but even then it’s with a lean towards shooting guard. Now he still might be what the team wants (and maybe even the best fit with ball dominant booker), but he’s not a guy who is going to set up his teammates and pass them into good shots. His numbers kind of show that pretty definitively. 4.2, 3.2, and 3.2 assists in 26, 30, and 29 minutes over his three years in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's been playing in an offense with another point guard and Giannis, who has the ball as much as about any point guard in the league. I think it's reasonable to think Brogdon's play making stats are a little under representative.
That’s possible. But if that’s what we are banking on, that’s a lot of assumptions and hoping. I mean, even in college he averaged 2.5 assists over four years with his high for a season being 3.1. So it’s not like he showed the ability to be a primary playmaker in college either. At least not a high level play maker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See I think we are so desperate, and Brogdon does so many things well, that we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. He’s really a shooting guard. He’s not really a point. If anything he’s a combo guard at best, but even then it’s with a lean towards shooting guard. Now he still might be what the team wants (and maybe even the best fit with ball dominant booker), but he’s not a guy who is going to set up his teammates and pass them into good shots. His numbers kind of show that pretty definitively. 4.2, 3.2, and 3.2 assists in 26, 30, and 29 minutes over his three years in the league.

I think part of the issue is he's a RFA, if he weren't then no one would be talking about throwing $25 million or more a year at him but that is the price we'd have to pay to have a real shot at him right now. If he were unrestricted though, I would be surprised if he got $20 million a year. I like Brogdon and the idea of pairing him with Booker but I question how hard the Suns should try to get him.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brogdon is obviously out of the Suns' price range/cap space unless we trade Jackson for cap space or stretch Johnson.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Brogdon is obviously out of the Suns' price range/cap space unless we trade Jackson for cap space or stretch Johnson.

He’s out of our price range because he’s a role player. You don’t give those guys max or near-max deals.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Does this idea sound bat**** crazy to anyone else? Dude is glass and a knucklehead...

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dlo had 1 good year as a what? Number 2 pick? He sucked azz in the playoffs. One year ago if we were talking max money for him 1sun would be calling him a scrub. Now we want to throw all this money at him? Crazy talk.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s out of our price range because he’s a role player. You don’t give those guys max or near-max deals.

I think you're really underselling him. He's one of the best shooters in the league, he is a really good defender and he can handle the ball and play off it. If we can get him for 17-20 million, it's a steal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does this idea sound bat**** crazy to anyone else? Dude is glass and a knucklehead...

It's a gamble I'm glad the Suns aren't taking. I would feel more comfortable offering Embiid the max. If Porzingis ever plays over 70 games in a season I'd be surprised. I'm glad Dallas is doing that though. That should keep them from building a balanced team around Luka so they shouldn't stay ahead of us for very long.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He had 3 players ahead of him in usage last year and he still averaged 4 assists. I get that his facilitating can certainly be viewed as a question mark right now, but it certainly can not be seen as a for sure negative of his game. Of all the PGs potentially available this off season he has the best combination of passing, shooting and defense while also still being young. I think it would be a big gamble to throw a huge contract at him, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if it payed off in the long run.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: NBA executives think Lakers are most likely destination for Carmelo Anthony
According to Ian Begley of SNY, the consensus among NBA executives is that Anthony will be suiting up alongside James next season:

Let's get this out of the way at the top: things can always change, but most executives monitoring Anthony's free agency see the Lakers as the most likely destination for the 10-time All Star." data-reactid="21">Let's get this out of the way at the top: things can always change, but most executives monitoring Anthony's free agency see the Lakers as the most likely destination for the 10-time All Star.
https://sports.yahoo.com/carmelo-anthony-lakers-free-agency-knicks-lebron-050223818.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave