2019 Free Agency

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JR Smith has a $15 million team option for the 2019-20 season that has to be exercised by June 30th. Obviously the option won't be exercised, but Cleveland is shopping the him in hopes of getting some return before June 30th. Do Jackson and Okobo represent enough potential for Cleveland to part with a 15 million expiring?

That would give us over 21 million for free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo just said there is no way the Suns waive and stretch Tyler Johnson because Johnson's expiring contract would be a huge trade ship for the team as the trade deadline approaches. How did that work out with Tyson Chandler?...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And now Gambo is talking about bring in another shooting guard. Why the heck do we need another shooting guard if we are keeping Tyler Johnson and if we also have Bridges, Jerome, Melton and Okobo capable of playing minutes at shooting guard?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And now Gambo is talking about bring in another shooting guard. Why the heck do we need another shooting guard if we are keeping Tyler Johnson and if we also have Bridges, Jerome, Melton and Okobo capable of playing minutes at shooting guard?

Yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. He is still saying they are likely to get rid of both Melton and Okobo - this seems dumb to me also.

First off he is basically saying we will not be freeing up more cap room - then in the next breath he is saying the suns want to sign:

A pg for 7-15 million, A PF and lists ones that will cost over 5 million each, and shooting guards.

If this is really all coming from the suns management they sound like complete idiots.

We have zero need for a shooting guard.

If the Suns really cap themselves out for an 9th man, and a crappy PG how do they ever hope to improve this team. Especially if under jones he does not want to draft for potential - but instead wants high floor guys.

This is the way I see it - the only position we have open that could get minutes is PF - and we are talking very few minutes. Between Saric and playing Cam Johnson, Oubre and Mikal in small lineups we are talking about 10-15 minutes a game max - so we should not be spending much.

We currently have 5 PG - If you are going to draft Jerome you should try and play him as a backup.

Gambo is saying Tyler Johnson is going nowhere - so he has to get some playing time also, so if we get a new starting PG we will be struggling to find minutes for everyone.

If it was me, and getting Brogdan and DLO is a no go, I would sign a cheap PF and be done with it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. He is still saying they are likely to get rid of both Melton and Okobo - this seems dumb to me also.

First off he is basically saying we will not be freeing up more cap room - then in the next breath he is saying the suns want to sign:

A pg for 7-15 million, A PF and lists ones that will cost over 5 million each, and shooting guards.

If this is really all coming from the suns management they sound like complete idiots.

We have zero need for a shooting guard.

If the Suns really cap themselves out for an 9th man, and a crappy PG how do they ever hope to improve this team. Especially if under jones he does not want to draft for potential - but instead wants high floor guys.

This is the way I see it - the only position we have open that could get minutes is PF - and we are talking very few minutes. Between Saric and playing Cam Johnson, Oubre and Mikal in small lineups we are talking about 10-15 minutes a game max - so we should not be spending much.

We currently have 5 PG - If you are going to draft Jerome you should try and play him as a backup.

Gambo is saying Tyler Johnson is going nowhere - so he has to get some playing time also, so if we get a new starting PG we will be struggling to find minutes for everyone.

If it was me, and getting Brogdan and DLO is a no go, I would sign a cheap PF and be done with it.

We absolutely need a competent NBA point guard, even if it means jettisoning both Okobo and Melton. We just cannot afford to go a third season with that position completely unfilled. After that, but only after that, I agree that our #1 need is still a power forward.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay I’ve been thinking about this for a while now . . . I’ve seen so much pimping of Malcom Brogdon you’d think he was the second coming. And everyone wants him as our high cost FA starting pg. I don’t get that.

Brogdon is an excellent player. Great defensively. Great shooter (particularly last year). And I recognize he’s listed as a pg/sg.

But he’s not a pg. at least not the type of pg that sets the table for teammates. Last year he averaged 3.2 assists per game. The year before 3.2. His high water mark was rookie year 4.2. You might say, “well he wasn’t the starter! Those numbers would increase if he was the starter!” But he’s played 26, 30, and 29 minutes/game over the past three years. Even if we extrapolate and project per 36 (which is reasonable for a starter) it’s only between 3.8 and 5.8 assists/game. That’s hardly salivatory stuff for a pg. People are bashing Rubio, who likely projects to 7-8 assists per game but falling all over themselves for Brogdon. Now i fully recognize Brogdon is younger and a much better shooter. But we’ve all wanted a pg that can make his teammates measurably better. I’m not saying that’s necessarily Rubio . . . but the cold hard facts of the #s seem to indicate that’s likely not Brogdon either. And as a younger more sought after asset, Brogdon is going to require a larger, longer contract. Worth it, or just overly desperate for a pg?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Okay I’ve been thinking about this for a while now . . . I’ve seen so much pimping of Malcom Brogdon you’d think he was the second coming. And everyone wants him as our high cost FA starting pg. I don’t get that.

Brogdon is an excellent player. Great defensively. Great shooter (particularly last year). And I recognize he’s listed as a pg/sg.

But he’s not a pg. at least not the type of pg that sets the table for teammates. Last year he averaged 3.2 assists per game. The year before 3.2. His high water mark was rookie year 4.2. You might say, “well he wasn’t the starter! Those numbers would increase if he was the starter!” But he’s played 26, 30, and 29 minutes/game over the past three years. Even if we extrapolate and project per 36 (which is reasonable for a starter) it’s only between 3.8 and 5.8 assists/game. That’s hardly salivatory stuff for a pg. People are bashing Rubio, who likely projects to 7-8 assists per game but falling all over themselves for Brogdon. Now i fully recognize Brogdon is younger and a much better shooter. But we’ve all wanted a pg that can make his teammates measurably better. I’m not saying that’s necessarily Rubio . . . but the cold hard facts of the #s seem to indicate that’s likely not Brogdon either. And as a younger more sought after asset, Brogdon is going to require a larger, longer contract. Worth it, or just overly desperate for a pg?

+1 here. Really, the first question we need to ask is, “What kind of PG do we need?” I’m not even sure we need a scoring point guard, Considering we have Booker and Ayton, and possibly a high-volume scorer in Oubre. Really what we need is someone that can run the team, call the plays, get our scorers the ball, and generally just be a floor leader. And I’m not sure in today’s NBA you need a high dollar player to do that.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get it either Ouchie. Booker is a better point then Brogdon by a large margin. You know who is going to have the ball in his hand in crunch time. Hopefully the Suns will have crunch time this year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
+1 here. Really, the first question we need to ask is, “What kind of PG do we need?” I’m not even sure we need a scoring point guard, Considering we have Booker and Ayton, and possibly a high-volume scorer in Oubre. Really what we need is someone that can run the team, call the plays, get our scorers the ball, and generally just be a floor leader. And I’m not sure in today’s NBA you need a high dollar player to do that.

I would add having a good enough outside shot to keep opposing defenses honest. Especially with the number of spot-up shooters we currently have who cannot create and who are not particularly athletic, we need a point guard that will not allow opponents to converge on the rest of the team and just dare him to shoot. We don't need a point guard who is a big scorer, but we cannot afford to play 4 on 5 offensively, either.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get it either Ouchie. Booker is a better point then Brogdon by a large margin. You know who is going to have the ball in his hand in crunch time. Hopefully the Suns will have crunch time this year.

Booker had the ball in his hands in crunch time last year. It was a disaster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well the suns themselves say they are looking for a combo guard not a true pg.

I agree that is correct, Devin needs to have the ball the majority of the time.

I think we need to have someone at the other starting guard spot that can create their own shot - I consider that to be more important than being a great passer - basically someone that can keep the defense from constantly doubling booker and getting away with it with no consequences.

I think Monte is planning on going to a Houston style offense. So we need another guard that can iso if that is the case.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Shooting and defense is more important to our team at the point guard position than a couple more assists per game. Russell averages more assists, yes, but he's quite ball dominant. I actually do like Brogdon's fit here more than DLo, but there is the Booker friendship to consider.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Booker had the ball in his hands in crunch time last year. It was a disaster.

Right....because like others have said, Booker would get bum rushed by a double and NO ONE HELPED him. Get him another some what competent ball handler and it wont be nearly the issue.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well the suns themselves say they are looking for a combo guard not a true pg.

I agree that is correct, Devin needs to have the ball the majority of the time.

I think we need to have someone at the other starting guard spot that can create their own shot - I consider that to be more important than being a great passer - basically someone that can keep the defense from constantly doubling booker and getting away with it with no consequences.

I think Monte is planning on going to a Houston style offense. So we need another guard that can iso if that is the case.

That would be D'Angelo Russell. Hands down.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Booker was top ten in scoring and top 15 in assists. He's a top ten offensive player period. There's literally less than 10 guys in the league you would rather have the ball in crunch time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker was top ten in scoring and top 15 in assists. He's a top ten offensive player period. There's literally less than 10 guys in the league you would rather have the ball in crunch time.

Except that in crunch time, when called upon to play the point and to initiate the offense, Booker has been a turnover machine.