The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of teams passed up on Kawaii, so it's hard to get too bent out of shape about it. But I wouldn't put anything beyond the Blanks/Babby front office. I might not agree with what Jones is doing but I can see a plan at least, McD was trying to follow Philly's mold... Blanks and Babby... those guys were just stabbing in the dark, other than the trade to get Gortat, everything they did seemed to blow up in their faces.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. Johnson is even more below average than Schroder. The Suns need to set their sights on someone the level of Collison or better (i.e., at least slightly above average). Being not as wretched as Cory Joseph, Okobo and Melton is not good enough.
Booker

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
6/26/19, 1:14 PM
Reporting w/ ⁦‪@ZachLowe‬⁩: Houston’s offering Clint Capela, Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker individually to teams w/ space to absorb salary. Rockets trying for best available first-rounder for any of those three, hoping to redirect pick to Philly in pursuit of Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Reporting w/ ⁦‪@ZachLowe‬⁩: Houston’s offering Clint Capela, Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker individually to teams w/ space to absorb salary. Rockets trying for best available first-rounder for any of those three, hoping to redirect pick to Philly in pursuit of Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade.
1st rounder for Tucker? Good luck with that rockets. As we've seen teams value cap space alot this year so I don't think they are gonna have many takers until most free agents are signed and teams need someone after missing out

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Accepting Eric Gordon’s salary would be as good as a free agent signing. Not sure if he is the fit, but he is a combo guard IMO.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
6/26/19, 1:18 PM
Philadelphia has been privately expressing confidence around NBA that it can re-sign Butler and Tobias Harris, but Houston remains on case of selling Butler/76ers with a sign-and-trade scenario once free agency starts on Sunday.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Accepting Eric Gordon’s salary would be as good as a free agent signing. Not sure if he is the fit, but he is a combo guard IMO.

No he isn't...and hasn't been since his days with the Clippers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Philly wants to retain Butler then chances are they will resign him. I can't see him choosing to play with Harden, Paul, and a bunch of G-Leaguers. Of course they'd also have to entice Philly into sending off also and Gordon might be a decent acquisition for someone, even Philly, I don't see him being enough to get the job done in a trade. He would probably be a better fit in Philly than JJ Reddick at this point though.

I bet the Lakers are bummed they don't have any picks to try and get Houston to send them Gordon and Capela. Those 2 would fit nicely with Lebron and Davis, so would Tucker but he would be less of a need for them and more of a luxury.

I think Gordon has played for D'Antoni too long to be the sort of combo guard that would interest the Suns as far as adding him with Booker in our backcourt. He's become much more of a scorer than a true combo guard like he was in LA and New Orleans.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Philly wants to retain Butler then chances are they will resign him. I can't see him choosing to play with Harden, Paul, and a bunch of G-Leaguers. Of course they'd also have to entice Philly into sending off also and Gordon might be a decent acquisition for someone, even Philly, I don't see him being enough to get the job done in a trade. He would probably be a better fit in Philly than JJ Reddick at this point though.

I bet the Lakers are bummed they don't have any picks to try and get Houston to send them Gordon and Capela. Those 2 would fit nicely with Lebron and Davis, so would Tucker but he would be less of a need for them and more of a luxury.

I think Gordon has played for D'Antoni too long to be the sort of combo guard that would interest the Suns as far as adding him with Booker in our backcourt. He's become much more of a scorer than a true combo guard like he was in LA and New Orleans.

Gordon has become a better shooter it seems, not looking at stats.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon has become a better shooter it seems, not looking at stats.

He has, at least from what I've seen. I'm not looking at stats either. I remember him being more of a facilitator in New Orleans though. In Houston he's a scorer, and he's good at it, but I don't know if you can switch back to being more of a facilitator after a few years of being used like he has been. I think it's too late for him at this point. Not just because he's been a scorer for the last couple of years but he's also older now and he'll start regressing with age, maybe he already has and that is why he's more of a scorer now.

It would be like adding a younger Jamal Crawford with less ball handling skills, I think. We could probably bring Crawford back for a fraction of what it would cost for Gordon and even though Jamal might not bring all of Gordon's scoring, we'd have more cap space and a pick still.

I did pull up his stats. His 3pt shooting isn't very good. He shot 36% last year with 1.9 assists, which was a career low in assists. In New Orleans he averaged 15.5 ppg with 3.3. apg and he shot 39% from 3. In his last 3 years in Houston he has scored 16.8 ppg, 2.2 apg, and shot 36.4% from 3. He is taking more 3's now, 8.8 a game, and making more but statistically he's been worse than I thought.

He seems to do better in the playoffs, he shot 40% from 3 and averaged 17.2 this last year. He only had 1.7 assists a game but at least I see why I thought he shot better also, he does in the postseason which is when I watch more Rockets games.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The bigger question is: Is Patrick Beverley interested in the Suns?
I don't know. Why wouldn't you stay if you can because the Clippers are supposed to be shopping for guys? Like Kawhi? I'm just thinking if I was Beverly I would stay, unless the Clippers have told me they aren't interested or renounce my rights.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say dirty, questionable yes, but not full dirty. Better to have him on your team than play against him.

I'd take him over Rubio.

I would have to disagree. Most of the time he's just playing right up to the edge of dirty but he's crossed that line (against Westbrook and Conley for example) far too many times to deserve the benefit of the doubt IMO. During the last decade or so Beverley has been arguably the dirtiest guard in the game and would join Zaza, Draymond, Dellavedova and Ibaka as starters on my NBA Dirty Team with Olynk and Paul coming off the bench.

If it's a one or two year contract, despite his reputation, I might take him over Rubio too. But that has a lot to do with how much I dislike Rubio's game for the current NBA and despite Pat's dirtiness, he's apparently a great locker room presence.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have to disagree. Most of the time he's just playing right up to the edge of dirty but he's crossed that line (against Westbrook and Conley for example) far too many times to deserve the benefit of the doubt IMO. During the last decade or so Beverley has been arguably the dirtiest guard in the game and would join Zaza, Draymond, Dellavedova and Ibaka as starters on my NBA Dirty Team with Olynk and Paul coming off the bench.

If it's a one or two year contract, despite his reputation, I might take him over Rubio too. But that has a lot to do with how much I dislike Rubio's game for the current NBA and despite Pat's dirtiness, he's apparently a great locker room presence.

Unnecessary on Westbrook but idk if it was dirty. He did go for and get his hands on the ball. The Conley play, not dirty, he didn't try to hide his intent, it's like a Raja clothesline. He is intense and right up to that edge though. To me dirty is where you do a Draymond kick to the balls, a Bowen foot plant, etc.

I loved the past season where he came right out at Ball on his rookie debut.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unnecessary on Westbrook but idk if it was dirty. He did go for and get his hands on the ball. The Conley play, not dirty, he didn't try to hide his intent, it's like a Raja clothesline. He is intense and right up to that edge though. To me dirty is where you do a Draymond kick to the balls, a Bowen foot plant, etc.

Excuse me? The Raja clothesline was dirty as hell??? And there are a half dozen incidents involving Westbrook, do you really think they are all just unnecessary? Google NBA's dirtiest players, there's a reason he makes every list and often comes up as number one.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Conley play and clothesline were just dumb by both players, like i said they didn't hide their intent. but in bold,is what i think are dirty moves; a cheap elbow to the face, taking someone out midair, etc.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can get behind Beverley, I just have doubts over how realistic that is.