Draft day moves summation

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can and should be for the Suns. He showed just 2 seasons ago that he can play a big role on a good team by putting up 15/7 in 30 mpg on a 52 win team. Those are plenty good enough numbers from him, especially when the top 2 scorers alone (Booker and Ayton) should combine for about 50 points per game.

His overall numbers were:

16-17 - 12.8/6.3
17-18 - 14.6/6.7
18-19 - 10.6/5.6

Actually his scoring doesn't bother me. If he can score 12 to 14 Points per night I will take that. That should help us get into the top 15 in scoring. However, his rebounding was #22 at his position and his defense was abysmal. The Suns were 3rd worse in the league allowing points. We were 5th worst at allowing second chance points.

To me because he really doesn't do anything else well means it's going to be a trade off. Potentially helping our scoring per game but could makes us even worse in points allowed and probably doesn't move the needle on allowing second chance points.

That's not starter material to me. That is putting a body out there that you hope occasionally puts up a good all around game from time to time. If we had a much better defensive team he is a much better fit.

I hope Monty can coach him up to improve in at least one other area but that is really cliche and often doesn't pan out.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

16-17 - 12.8/6.3
17-18 - 14.6/6.7
18-19 - 10.6/5.6

Actually his scoring doesn't bother me. If he can score 12 to 14 Points per night I will take that. That should help us get into the top 15 in scoring. However, his rebounding was #22 at his position and his defense was abysmal. The Suns were 3rd worse in the league allowing points. We were 5th worst at allowing second chance points.

To me because he really doesn't do anything else well means it's going to be a trade off. Potentially helping our scoring per game but could makes us even worse in points allowed and probably doesn't move the needle on allowing second chance points.

That's not starter material to me. That is putting a body out there that you hope occasionally puts up a good all around game from time to time. If we had a much better defensive team he is a much better fit.

I hope Monty can coach him up to improve in at least one other area but that is really cliche and often doesn't pan out.
Some of you crack me up. If it’s not near an all star at every position it’s not good enough.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

16-17 - 12.8/6.3
17-18 - 14.6/6.7
18-19 - 10.6/5.6

He's a trade off from what? We had no one nearly as good as him at PF last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

16-17 - 12.8/6.3
17-18 - 14.6/6.7
18-19 - 10.6/5.6

He has played next to some of the best rebounding centers in the NBA. Especially in his years playing next to Embiid. I am by no means arguing that he is a good rebounder, but expecting much more than 6 rebounds per game while playing next to guys that are averaging 12+ is a tall order. Not to mention his per 36 numbers are 8.3 rebounds and again not great by any means, but not bad when you consider my first point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

16-17 - 12.8/6.3
17-18 - 14.6/6.7
18-19 - 10.6/5.6

6 rebounds is a step up from Warren.

The guy is mainly going to help us on the offensive end, but he is close statistically to an average starter. Given some more experience I think he is going to get there.

Honestly I have barely seen him play, but I for one am very excited to have a competent PF, because there has not been one on this team for awhile.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saric is an average defender, at least he was with Philly—and he is still quite young—younger than Warren. He should improve defensively. Getting Saric is a real plus.

Defensive stats do not really tell the story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a nice draft day recap and it talks about the Suns picks as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric is an average defender, at least he was with Philly—and he is still quite young—younger than Warren. He should improve defensively. Getting Saric is a real plus.

Defensive stats do not really tell the story.

I will post here what I posted in the What is the Plan? thread:

Having Joel Embiid there to cover your defensive deficiencies is a lot different than being needed to cover for the defensive deficiencies of Karl Anthony Towns...and we all know which of the two Ayton emulates defensively.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you crack me up. If it’s not near an all star at every position it’s not good enough.

Who says we need an all star? Asking for a guy to be competent in two areas of need means he should be an all star!?!?

He does one thing OK. That’s it. We have had a ton of those guys on this team at various positions and “you guys” have said the same thing about those guys starting as well. How is this any different?

As I stated before Monty might be able to do something and maybe the guys he played next to impacted his game. I just seriously doubt he is our starting PF at the end of his contract. I think that’s why the Suns got him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says we need an all star? Asking for a guy to be competent in two areas of need means he should be an all star!?!?

He does one thing OK. That’s it. We have had a ton of those guys on this team at various positions and “you guys” have said the same thing about those guys starting as well. How is this any different?

As I stated before Monty might be able to do something and maybe the guys he played next to impacted his game. I just seriously doubt he is our starting PF at the end of his contract. I think that’s why the Suns got him.

He does a lot of things well, not just ok. He lacks quickness, athleticism, strength and isn't a great outside shooter but he's about as good as a player can get given those weaknesses.

He sets good screens, is an excellent interior passer, handles the ball very well for his size, loves to push the tempo when he gets the ball off the glass, has a very good face-up game and possesses an excellent overall understanding of how to play. His physical limitations will likely prevent him from ever being more than just a borderline starter but he shot 38% from 3 in Minnesota and if that's more than just a fluke, he could become an above average stretch 4 for us.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He does a lot of things well, not just ok. He lacks quickness, athleticism, strength and isn't a great outside shooter but he's about as good as a player can get given those weaknesses.

He sets good screens, is an excellent interior passer, handles the ball very well for his size, loves to push the tempo when he gets the ball off the glass, has a very good face-up game and possesses an excellent overall understanding of how to play. His physical limitations will likely prevent him from ever being more than just a borderline starter but he shot 38% from 3 in Minnesota and if that's more than just a fluke, he could become an above average stretch 4 for us.

If "[n]ever being more than just a borderline starter" is "above average" for the Suns, then the Suns will never be more than a borderline NBA team. We need to aim higher and do better than that, or else we might as well just fold the franchise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If "[n]ever being more than just a borderline starter" is "above average" for the Suns, then the Suns will never be more than a borderline NBA team. We need to aim higher and do better than that, or else we might as well just fold the franchise.

I really hate it when someone intentionally changes the message, please don't do that in the future. I said he's a borderline starter right now and that if that short stretch of shooting 38% from the arc continues, he could become an above average starter. When someone says "if" and "could become", it's deceitful to knowingly represent it the way you just did.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I really hate it when someone intentionally changes the message, please don't do that in the future. I said he's a borderline starter right now and that if that short stretch of shooting 38% from the arc continues, he could become an above average starter. When someone says "if" and "could become", it's deceitful to knowingly represent it the way you just did.

But that doesnt fit the narrative.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot? That’s Sun’s fan syndrome and he has not played a game for us yet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot? That’s Sun’s fan syndrome and he has not played a game for us yet.

That's quite an assumption on your part. It's not like I'm in love with the acquisition, like I said he lacks the physical gifts you'd want from your power forward and it remains to be seen whether he can hit the 3 often enough to be an effective stretch 4. But my "scouting report" has nothing to do with the fact I'm a Suns fan. If anything it's Philadelphia fan syndrome given that I watched pretty much every one of his games there and my opinion is formed from his time as a 76er.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's quite an assumption on your part. It's not like I'm in love with the acquisition, like I said he lacks the physical gifts you'd want from your power forward and it remains to be seen whether he can hit the 3 often enough to be an effective stretch 4. But my "scouting report" has nothing to do with the fact I'm a Suns fan. If anything it's Philadelphia fan syndrome given that I watched pretty much every one of his games there and my opinion is formed from his time as a 76er.

Wait.....you said “a lot” and I am making assumptions!?!

What!?!

Again he might play better here but nobody I know has ever described him as someone who does lots of things well.

You honestly think he would be here if he didn’t have an expiring contract?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is so funny. None of us know how any of this is going to work out. What we do know is that it is something different from the last six years or so. The Suns always seemed to be taking the youngest player on the draft or close to it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wait.....you said “a lot” and I am making assumptions!?!

What!?!

Again he might play better here but nobody I know has ever described him as someone who does lots of things well.

You honestly think he would be here if he didn’t have an expiring contract?
Why not? Monty knows him and has coached him. And honestly the price wasn’t steep to get him.

You seem to be REALLY wanting these moves to be awful. Like a few other posters here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1Sun has a sliiiiiight habit of dealing in absolutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so funny. None of us know how any of this is going to work out. What we do know is that it is something different from the last six years or so. The Suns always seemed to be taking the youngest player on the draft or close to it.

not sure I agree with this. Bridges was one of the oldest players drafted, definitely in the lotto. Josh Jackson wasn't even close to the youngest player in the draft at 20 and 6 months. Ayton was 20 years old, Warren was 3 months shy of 21. Len was a college sophomore I think.

The only real baby amongst the draftees was Booker.

The rest were about what you'd expect lottery picks to be.

I just find it strange that so many have seemingly gone to a place that they think there's a good chance guys like Cam and Jerome will be able to contribute in any meaningful way... mostly because they're older and shot well in college. Shooting doesn't immediately translate for everyone. Remember, Bridges was an elder statesmen amongst draftees, was a "great shooter" in college and was supposed to be as NBA ready as anyone, and he was average at best shooting the ball last year.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? Monty knows him and has coached him. And honestly the price wasn’t steep to get him.

You seem to be REALLY wanting these moves to be awful. Like a few other posters here.

Well then you are only reading what you want. I have said repeatedly I am hoping Monty can coach him up. I just think the Suns wanted an expiring contract and he fit the bill. I can’t imagine the Suns if they had options would bring a guy in that doesn’t help them defensively or with second chance points.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well then you are only reading what you want. I have said repeatedly I am hoping Monty can coach him up. I just think the Suns wanted an expiring contract and he fit the bill. I can’t imagine the Suns if they had options would bring a guy in that doesn’t help them defensively or with second chance points.
And I would LOVE for you to list out REALISTIC acquisitions that can fulfill your unrealistic expectations.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I would LOVE for you to list out REALISTIC acquisitions that can fulfill your unrealistic expectations.

I would love to if that was the point I was making or the topic. People were commenting on what it is they think we acquired as was I. I have already stated I would have preferred they position themselves in the draft for a young big instead.