Lakers may sign D'Angelo Russell

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
or maybe you're completely blowing TWO posters opinions up to make it seem like a rash of them... with one of those posters in THIS THREAD saying he thinks Booker will at least give Monty a shot.

and those people STILL haven't said he's already made up his mind. They're fearful he could if we continue to suck.

Naw this narrative has been parroted by more than two posters. Completely unfounded imo since Booker has given no evidence of it. I don't even think he's the type. Something tells me he wants to prove he's not an empty stats guy, and team jumping won't help that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK fine but Booker ain’t no Kyrie Irving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis wasn't looked at as a problem until he became one either.

and maybe I'm misremembering, but Kyrie wasn't looked as a malcontent either until he got his dirty underwear hung out to dry after his last season in cleveland.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw this narrative has been parroted by more than two posters. Completely unfounded imo since Booker has given no evidence of it. I don't even think he's the type. Something tells me he wants to prove he's not an empty stats guy, and team jumping won't help that.

he also wants to win badly and staying on a team that is a laughingstock won't help that either, if that's what we continue to be.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or maybe you're completely blowing TWO posters opinions up to make it seem like a rash of them... with one of those posters in THIS THREAD saying he thinks Booker will at least give Monty a shot.

and those people STILL haven't said he's already made up his mind. They're fearful he could if we continue to suck.

Two might be right but where did I blow it up? It was almost an afterthought in my post and you make it out to be a big deal. Maybe it's not me that's blowing things up, Cheese.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is if they get Dlo? They jump ahead of us on getting a young guard piece which we desperately need.

It just sucks that a team like the Lakers seems like they can rebuild and retool almost at will while smaller market teams like us struggle so damn much.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So depending what story you read they're saying DR, Kyrie or Kemba, and yet Woj keeps saying right now they don't lead for any major FA?

Will be really interesting to see how it plays out. If I had to make a bet I think they sign Darren Collison and maybe get Trevor Ariza. I really don't get the sense a major FA PG wants to play with LeBron because he has the ball so much.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers will overpay Cousins and end up with Rondo and Lance Stephenson again. They're not going to land anyone that isn't damaged goods like Cousins or flawed like Rondo. They won't be adding Kemba, Russell, or Kyrie. They don't have max space and they're depending on the Pelicans to delay the trade for Davis to allow them to end up with close to max space but the Pelicans have zero reason to help the Lakers any further. The Lakers have nothing to offer to get them to delay things.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers will overpay Cousins and end up with Rondo and Lance Stephenson again. They're not going to land anyone that isn't damaged goods like Cousins or flawed like Rondo. They won't be adding Kemba, Russell, or Kyrie. They don't have max space and they're depending on the Pelicans to delay the trade for Davis to allow them to end up with close to max space but the Pelicans have zero reason to help the Lakers any further. The Lakers have nothing to offer to get them to delay things.

Davis apparently is buddies with Kyrie so that's why that rumor has popped up

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis apparently is buddies with Kyrie so that's why that rumor has popped up

And so is Lebron, and Lebron's kid posted some pic of Lebron and Kyrie the other day. People are reaching to find something because the Lakers have basically shot their wad already and an offseason that ends before free agency is a bit anticlimactic. They'll round out their roster with vets but they added their star in Davis and now they're basically done.

Too many other teams have money to throw around that I can't see anyone taking a discount to sign with the Lakers when the Clippers, Nets, and Knicks can all offer more cash. The big market appeal of the Lakers doesn't mean as much when the other big market teams can pay more money.

They'll need the personal connection to get someone but that someone will need to leave at least $5 million or more on the table this year and probably $40 million or more over the life of the contract, to be the 3rd wheel behind Lebron and Davis.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So depending what story you read they're saying DR, Kyrie or Kemba, and yet Woj keeps saying right now they don't lead for any major FA?

Will be really interesting to see how it plays out. If I had to make a bet I think they sign Darren Collison and maybe get Trevor Ariza. I really don't get the sense a major FA PG wants to play with LeBron because he has the ball so much.

Well they don’t have the cap space for Kyrie, Kemba or Kawhi. If they can’t get D’Lo I would go for a Beverly/Redick combo then fill out the roster with a bunch of zombie type vet min guys.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well they don’t have the cap space for Kyrie, Kemba or Kawhi. If they can’t get D’Lo I would go for a Beverly/Redick combo then fill out the roster with a bunch of zombie type vet min guys.

Beverley is apparently on the list the Warriors are looking at. I think they decided it's safer if he's on their team rather than trying to injure their players (-:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know the franchise is in disrepair when we are leaning on every social media post from someone’s sister’s, uncle’s, brother’s, nephew’s best friends cousin twice removed for any indication where we might be able to get someone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Unless that was a handshake part of the deal.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Dlo as a max ....I'll pass....pot head...drama ....struggling in playoffs ...no thanks

It's not like you just go to the point guard mall and pick out the perfect dress or sit around and wait for prince charming to come available.

Of the PGs in the draft and available via trade or free agency which one will work best for the Suns?

Or do you roll with what you got because the alternatives are all worse?

At the moment who is really available to the Suns?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless that was a handshake part of the deal.

But it's not part of the deal, that's why it's been discussed by all media outlets and reported that the Lakers are hoping to get the Pelicans to push back the date of the deal so they can have max space or involve a third team. The Pelicans own the rights to the Lakers picks moving forward so they want the Lakers to fail, they have no incentive to help them.

Here is some info on it...
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...max-cap-room-free-agency-agent-2019-nba-draft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But it's not part of the deal, that's why it's been discussed by all media outlets and reported that the Lakers are hoping to get the Pelicans to push back the date of the deal so they can have max space or involve a third team. The Pelicans own the rights to the Lakers picks moving forward so they want the Lakers to fail, they have no incentive to help them.

Here is some info on it...
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...max-cap-room-free-agency-agent-2019-nba-draft
Not to mention I think the timing not only impacts the Lakers cap space, but the pels’ as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think our best shot at a PG is the draft next year. 4 of the top 10 in the class are PG's.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention I think the timing not only impacts the Lakers cap space, but the pels’ as well.

It does, the Pelicans have more space doing it sooner vs waiting. Also if they wait, all of the picks end up having to miss Summer League. The Pelicans traded #4 to Atlanta so they need to get Atlanta to agree to be involved now in order to get it done quick and they would need to take on a deal from LA also. It's all complicated. From what I read, there really isn't an incentive for anyone to speed things up for LA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think our best shot at a PG is the draft next year. 4 of the top 10 in the class are PG's.

Which means that such PG will be ready to be a viable NBA starting point guard in 2023 or 2024, just in time for Booker's contract to be up for renewal. Something tells me Booker won't wait around that long for this team to be respectable again...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which means that such PG will be ready to be a viable NBA starting point guard in 2023 or 2024, just in time for Booker's contract to be up for renewal. Something tells me Booker won't wait around that long for this team to be respectable again...

Depends on the player - some would argue Gilgous-Alexander was adequate in his rookie year, Fox was basically a stud by his second year.

Yeah, it is not an ideal timeline - but everything is pointing at the fact we are not getting one this offseason, and the free agents for next year are terrible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the player - some would argue Gilgous-Alexander was adequate in his rookie year, Fox was basically a stud by his second year.

Yeah, it is not an ideal timeline - but everything is pointing at the fact we are not getting one this offseason, and the free agents for next year are terrible.

Unfortunately it was never going to be an ideal timeline, we were in too big of a hole to even hope for perfect solutions to our problems. Besides a lack of maturity/experience, we had 3 major roster problems. We only had 1 starting guard, we had no starting power forward and we had a very shallow bench. We've improved in all 3 areas assuming our mid-season acquisition can give us more than the 13 games we saw of him last season.

IMO, our current roster assuming good health, minus JJ and perhaps Okobo and Melton, can win enough games this season to mollify Booker and give him hope for the future. I doubt it will propel us into the playoffs but a turnaround similar to what we saw from the Kings is very possible. That will leave us in the lottery with a fair chance at landing one of the anticipated PGs in the next class. We may have to add a future pick or even more to get there but with fewer immediate needs we can afford to sell a future asset or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose