Lakers may sign D'Angelo Russell

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing.Suns can't get decent players while dysfunctional Lakers build another championship team.

Arye Abraham‏ @arye_abraham
A source close to the situation has confirmed to me that D’Angelo Russell has reciprocal interest in the Lakers “if the money is right,” I’m told he loves Los Angeles and has no ill will towards LAL now that Magic Johnson is gone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What's he supposed to say? If the Lakers are one of the teams willing to pay him big money it makes sense to make it clear that he would be willing to play for them.

The Suns however have one thing that no one else has and that is his best friend in Booker. Obviously that does not guarantee that he would choose the Suns over anyone else, but it is a dynamic that may give us an edge as long as the money is right.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker and DAR know each other, then they are friends, then good friends, now best friends. This narrative keeps growing out of control. I thought the Pocket Thug was Books best friend. They even lived together.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Sarver is willing to go over the cap and pay a luxury tax (like other owners do), they could make a damn good offer to get Russell.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Arye Abraham isn’t a credible source so I take this with a grain of salt...that being said I think DAR likes the brighter lights of LA better

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we are getting conflicting reports about Russell, and Gambo is adamant about us not being interested, but I feel the Suns are being much more secretive and Sarver is keeping his distance from the entire process.

I believe the Suns are not interested in Russell as long as he remains restricted. There is no reason to pursue him if he's restricted because Brooklyn will likely match all offers. They won't let him walk without for nothing unless they have Kyrie lined up as well as another max player.

Also considering Booker's relationship, they want to avoid any possible appearances of tampering.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we are getting conflicting reports about Russell, and Gambo is adamant about us not being interested, but I feel the Suns are being much more secretive and Sarver is keeping his distance from the entire process.

I believe the Suns are not interested in Russell as long as he remains restricted. There is no reason to pursue him if he's restricted because Brooklyn will likely match all offers. They won't let him walk without for nothing unless they have Kyrie lined up as well as another max player.

Also considering Booker's relationship, they want to avoid any possible appearances of tampering.
I believe the Suns are not interested because he is a bad fit with Booker.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker and DAR know each other, then they are friends, then good friends, now best friends. This narrative keeps growing out of control. I thought the Pocket Thug was Books best friend. They even lived together.

Booker, KAT and DLO are all really good friends this is pretty documented with these 3

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What? I have been hearing for years that they are best friends. This is not something new or that is being made up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker, KAT and DLO are all really good friends this is pretty documented with these 3
Sure. They are friends. But besties? Really? So much so that it will impact free agency choices? I don’t buy it.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How can we possibly have salary cap issues in Phoenix when the entire team is crap? Other teams have full All Star teams on their roster, or build them with regularity.

D'Angelo Russell not a good fit? He's and all star point guard, and a scoring threat in his own right. This team desperately needs to have someone the opposing defense needs to account for besides Booker, especially with TJ gone. This acquisition is the only thing that could possibly salvage a hugely important and thus far grievously mismanaged offseason.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sure. They are friends. But besties? Really? So much so that it will impact free agency choices? I don’t buy it.
It happened with Bosh, Wade and LeBron. Good friends want to play next to each other, especially if they think they can be successful playing together. Maybe it will be enough to sway DLO to the Suns and maybe it won't, but it is certainly a possibility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This would be a fitting end to this nightmare nut punch of an offseason.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They are good friends.

This can cut two ways.

1. Booker no doubt wants to play with him.
2. But as a friend he could be warning him not to come here.

The fact is, and it is a fact, Booker does not believe in our owner/management. Period. He doesn't.

At this point, why should he? Why should anyone? He continues to get sold a bill of goods.

He isn't going to re-sign here unless our management changes its spots and suddenly puts out a winner.

At any point in time between now and the end of his contract he could force his way out. He wants to win. Remember the whole 'this better be the last year we don't make the playoffs' remark? Is this next season the 2nd or 3rd since that comment? Either way, not good.

After the draft, does anyone believe our owner/management is suddenly good? No, it looks like fresh lows.

After every pundit laughing at us for the pathetic performance in the draft, and for good reason, does anyone think that free agents don't take notice to this? Hey lets sign with a perptually losing team that probably had the worst draft of any team this decade?

No one wants to jump on a sinking ship.

The hope is, that somehow Booker is recruiting him, instead of dissuading him, and that Jones can close the deal despite taking massive egg on his face from the draft. I highly highly highly doubt this, but until it happens it remains a sliver of hope.

But reports like this showcase the likely reality. He isn't coming here, and once again management had opportunities to fill holes, and instead squandered them and went after guys that would be the last couple spots on the bench of a playoff team.

We'll see how this plays out, but it seems destined the $arver clown show continues.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are good friends.

This can cut two ways.

The fact is, and it is a fact, Booker does not believe in our owner/management. Period. He doesn't.

At this point, why should he? Why should anyone? He continues to get sold a bill of goods.

He isn't going to re-sign here unless our management changes its spots and suddenly puts out a winner.

At any point in time between now and the end of his contract he could force his way out. He wants to win. Remember the whole 'this better be the last year we don't make the playoffs' remark? Is this next season the 2nd or 3rd since that comment? Either way, not good.

After the draft, does anyone believe our owner/management is suddenly good? No, it looks like fresh lows.

After every pundit laughing at us for the pathetic performance in the draft, and for good reason, does anyone think that free agents don't take notice to this? Hey lets sign with a perptually losing team that probably had the worst draft of any team this decade?

The hope is, that somehow Booker is recruiting him, instead of dissuading him, and that Jones can close the deal despite taking massive egg on his face from the draft. I highly highly highly doubt this, but until it happens it remains a sliver of hope.

But reports like this showcase the likely reality. He isn't coming here, and once again management had opportunities to fill holes, and instead squandered them and went after guys that would be the last couple spots on the bench of a playoff team.

We'll see how this plays out, but it seems destined the $arver clown show continues.
So. Where did you read that Booker does not believe in the owner or management?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course he isn't happy with losing, but wouldn't his all star friend coming here help us to not suck?

Sure. I think he would. But friends also sometimes help friends not make a mistake.

So who knows.

But Booker being frustrated for years and not seeing light at the end of the tunnel could eventually derail what we are trying to build.

Booker wants to win, and we can't build a winner.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are good friends.

This can cut two ways.

He already re-signed here. That was last year and he is signed through 2024

He can't end his contract.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He already resigned here.

He can't end his contract.

I know.

But the simple fact is, he's watch multiple teammates force their way out. He's seen this team willfully trade away guys they just acquired. All of this empowers players to seek a way out.

I'm not saying he's going to force his way out. I'm simply saying, we're treading on thin ice here. He very well could, and at this point he won't re-sign here when his contract is up.

We're on the clock, and this past draft only adds fuel to the fire. Whiff out on his friend. More fuel.

Suck this year. More fuel.

I don't know his breaking point. Maybe he doesn't and he rides out his entire contract. But we're playing with fire by continuously making boneheaded moves.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you are saying things that simply aren't correct.

If he is unhappy, he doesn't sign an extension. He has said multiple times he has no interest in leaving and wants to be a good enough player where people want to play with him.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Now that the Magic is gone. That was uncalled for. Not so sure they'll win it all, but I guess with the flopper, the brow and JLo they could be good.

I was hoping Dantoni could win it with Houston but honestly I would rather have the Lakers win than another victory for the Warriors. Before you perma-ban me I must say I've been a Suns fan from before they got Barkley, but I've never been to Phoenix or the western USA so I don't know how obnoxious the Lakers fans are.

SARVER
SELL

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes you are saying things that simply aren't correct.

If he is unhappy, he doesn't sign an extension. He has said multiple times he has no interest in leaving and wants to be a good enough player where people want to play with him.

There's what people say in public and then what they tell people in private.

He's now gotten a bite of the apple. He can afford to sign somewhere to win after this contract. Where he'll still get a ton of money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose