Suns trade #6 for Saric and 11th pick

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty Williams coached Saric in Philly. He knows exactly what he is. He is also still very young.

His interior passing from the pf position is superb. He is going to get Ayton a lot of easy baskets. He is a great match with Ayton. I have no doubt that Saric and Oubre (if we resign him) will be our starting forwards.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Monty Williams coached Saric in Philly. He knows exactly what he is. He is also still very young.

His interior passing from the pf position is superb. He is going to get Ayton a lot of easy baskets. He is a great match with Ayton. I have no doubt that Saric and Oubre (if we resign him) will be our starting forwards.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

While there are some nice highlights here, there is also a fundamental weakness that is apparent here. He can't go up strong to the hoop. He gets eaten alive inside. He passes up a lot of open dunks for more difficult layups and passes. Very reminiscent of Bender there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know that’s a highlight reel, but I forgot how skilled he is. Saric isn’t going to dunk on anyone. He’s not going to swat shots. He’s not going to blow by people.

What he is going to do is . . .

Knock down 3s

Immediately becomes our best feeder of the post

Hell, he might just be our best passer, period

He’ll bully smaller players in the post and take advantage of mismatches

He’s a good ball handler for a 6’10 dude

He’s just heady. I watch him play and think, “dude understands the game”

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wait I thought he was a scrub? A g league guy...not an NBA player...is the mass hysteria finally coming to an end?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While there are some nice highlights here, there is also a fundamental weakness that is apparent here. He can't go up strong to the hoop. He gets eaten alive inside. He passes up a lot of open dunks for more difficult layups and passes. Very reminiscent of Bender there.
Sorry you can only get 22 seconds of Bender highlights. Saric has over 9 min. Not even a comparison

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I actually really like this trade. Saric is a vet. He’s got size. He’s tough. He can shoot. And he’s not expensive. And we didn’t move down so far that we are out of range of the second tier of players imo. Is this a homerun? No. But it makes us less needy in the draft.
Hysteria? I liked this deal from the second I heard about it.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know that’s a highlight reel, but I forgot how skilled he is. Saric isn’t going to dunk on anyone. He’s not going to swat shots. He’s not going to blow by people.

What he is going to do is . . .

Knock down 3s

Immediately becomes our best feeder of the post

Hell, he might just be our best passer, period

He’ll bully smaller players in the post and take advantage of mismatches

He’s a good ball handler for a 6’10 dude

He’s just heady. I watch him play and think, “dude understands the game”

Yeah, I don't think he's as good as Warren in a vacuum but he is a better positional fit and the best PF the team has had since Morris. I know that is not saying much but I just keep thinking of how much better the team looked when they traded for Tyler Johnson last year. Not really who you want starting, but is a legit NBA rotation player which is not something the Suns have had at PG/PF in the past 2 years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those highlights are deceptive. Each one is probably one of five shots he made in each of those games.

At any rate if this team was looking for bench depth that would be great. This would have been the type of trade a good team makes. Not a bad team like the Suns. That is my problem with this trade.

This team is looking for a starting PF. They picked him up knowing his contract expires. The Suns knew what they were getting. Maybe Monty feels he can coach him up. Maybe he can. My guess is there is zero shot this guy is in a Suns uniform after his contract expires.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess is there is zero shot this guy is in a Suns uniform after his contract expires.
Well considering Booker and Warren are the only two I can think of that resigned with the Suns lately. I'd say this is a good guess. He might play his self out of a contract with the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Saric/Ayton/Oubre front line is an NBA front line and the skill sets mesh. Sub Mikal in there and it still works. I guarantee you they got Saric at Monty Williams request.

This smacks of team building. McD collected assets. Still not sure about James Jones but I see what he is trying to do.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hysteria? I liked this deal from the second I heard about it.

I did too. What most on here arent accounting for is that the chance that White, Culver, or any of the other players drafted from 6-10 even become as good as Saric is, is slim.

The Suns walked away with a starting PF and a good rotation piece with the 6th pick. Saric can play; while hes not an all star, he is a starting NBA player.

The move that really sucks was trading Warren and having to give up a sweetener. But we dont know how interested teams were on Warren. With his injury and attitude concerns, I think teams were leery about taking him on.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Those highlights are deceptive. Each one is probably one of five shots he made in each of those games.

At any rate if this team was looking for bench depth that would be great. This would have been the type of trade a good team makes. Not a bad team like the Suns. That is my problem with this trade.

This team is looking for a starting PF. They picked him up knowing his contract expires. The Suns knew what they were getting. Maybe Monty feels he can coach him up. Maybe he can. My guess is there is zero shot this guy is in a Suns uniform after his contract expires.
No because we are going to draft a PF next year as his replacement. Or we bring in someone else when the cap opens up next year. I could be wrong, but just reading the speculation two teams were anticipating him wanting big money. That had to come from somewhere.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone see the hoopshype article on redoing the 2014 draft? They had Tyler Johnson and Saric both going ahead of Warren. You agree?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone see the hoopshype article on redoing the 2014 draft? They had Tyler Johnson and Saric both going ahead of Warren. You agree?

I don't know if I agree but it is interesting. I think TJ needs to prove himself on a winner. He's been the second best player on a bad team his whole career and all he's done well is score. He doesn't have big rebounding games or big assist games. Prior to this year he couldn't hit 3's either. So he was very 1 dimensional and despite averaging like 17-18 ppg, that's all he did. He didn't help in any other way. So I think in a redraft he would probably stay around where he was selected originally, in the low teens/late lottery.

If he can contribute to a playoff team on the rise like Indiana, maybe he'll start being appreciated more. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he hadn't picked up 10 double doubles at this point in his career though and even though double doubles are overrated, they also tell a story if a player consistently scores in the high teens or low twenties and he can't ever crack double digits in anything else.

He had 6 in 2017-18, 5 in 2016-17, and 1 in 2015-16. He had 0 last year and in his rookie year. So he has 12 in his career while having a 14.4 scoring average. Some other career highs for him, 5 assists twice, and 4 3pt fg's made three times. His scoring highs aren't that impressive either. He has only scored over 30 5 times, all in the 2017-18 season. So he's a good scorer but it's not likely he'll have a big night. He's good for 15 or so, and that's about it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree but it is interesting. I think TJ needs to prove himself on a winner. He's been the second best player on a bad team his whole career and all he's done well is score. He doesn't have big rebounding games or big assist games. Prior to this year he couldn't hit 3's either. So he was very 1 dimensional and despite averaging like 17-18 ppg, that's all he did. He didn't help in any other way. So I think in a redraft he would probably stay around where he was selected originally, in the low teens/late lottery. If he can contribute to a playoff team on the rise like Indiana, maybe he'll start being appreciated more. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he hadn't picked up 10 double doubles at this point in his career though and even though double doubles are overrated, they also tell a story if a player consistently scores in the high teens or low twenties and he can't ever crack double digits in anything else.

He had 6 in 2017-18, 5 in 2016-17, and 1 in 2015-16. He had 0 last year and in his rookie year. So he has 12 in his career while having a 14.4 scoring average. Some other career highs for him, 5 assists twice, and 4 3pt fg's made three times. His scoring highs aren't that impressive either. He has only scored over 30 5 times, all in the 2017-18 season. So he's a good scorer but it's not likely he'll have a big night. He's good for 15 or so, and that's about it.
He's kinda streaky. I remember stretches where he's 18 to 22 points a night. I remember Suns commentators marveling at a couple scoring stretches. This last year, even with the hot three point shooting, I was disappointed he was not that third scorer on nights when we really needed another guy to chip in.