Welcome Ty Jerome

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bill Simmons thread. Refresh yourself.

Again which comments? The only comments I have made about Booker fall into two categories:

1) He can't play the point. History has proved this...twice.

2) He is growing increasingly impatient and frustrated, to the point that if the team around him isn't improved soon, he will want and ask out. There, my viewpoint is not unique. Pretty much every national reporter, and some local ones, have made the same observations.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not a single player with Jerome's physical limitations has become a serviceable starting point guard into today's NBA. Not one.
Maybe not a pg but Kevin Durant's numbers at the combine were terrible. Jerome had a faster agility time and 3/4 court.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Maybe not a pg but Kevin Durant's numbers at the combine were terrible. Jerome had a faster agility time and 3/4 court.
Durant also has elite length to offset any lack of explosiveness. So it's not really a good comparison to make.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am saying history WILL repeat itself. Look at Jerome's comps and get back to me on this.

Dear Lord. He has zero history in the NBA. History in the NBA says it’s possible for a guy not well regarded in some aspects in his game to prove critics wrong. I am not calling it either way.

Not sure why you are struggling.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again which comments? The only comments I have made about Booker fall into two categories:

1) He can't play the point. History has proved this...twice.

2) He is growing increasingly impatient and frustrated, to the point that if the team around him isn't improved soon, he will want and ask out. There, my viewpoint is not unique. Pretty much every national reporter, and some local ones, have made the same observations.

[emoji849] I directly responded to one of your comments.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The fact remains that Ty is far and away a better pg then Melton and okobo, just the fact that he will be the back up or possible starter if God forbid they sign Joseph , makes me happy they atleast upgraded the position. You can't just hop from g league trash to Steph curry without being extremely lucky. PG is upgraded let's all just appreciate that

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except than Johnson wouldn't have even been selected in the first round...
And you know that how? Even the mock drafts had him going in the first round.
No mock had Johnson in first round, that is why PHX is being blasted nationally for their draft. They all agree that Jerome was a good deal which I mentioned saved their draft. I would have went with PJ Washington at #11 instead. Hell, our radio guys even said on air they didn’t have a draft bio on him, they thought Gambo was talking about Reddish.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
No mock had Johnson in first round, that is why PHX is being blasted nationally for their draft. They all agree that Jerome was a good deal which I mentioned saved their draft. I would have went with PJ Washington at #11 instead. Hell, our radio guys even said on air they didn’t have a draft bio on him, they thought Gambo was talking about Reddish.
I saw several mock drafts with him in the first round , but I think the highest I ever saw him was 22

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The respectable mock sites had him in the 33 and later range. Which mocks did you see him going in Round 1?
The mocks I read where the CBS sports, 247 sports, bleacher report, etc.. Forbes did one every couple week , basically the top results when you Google 2019 NBA mock drafts , I read the new mock drafts every Monday and Friday normally, he wasn't always in them but I saw him alot going to a contender at the end of the first and the earliest was to Boston

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The mocks I read where the CBS sports, 247 sports, bleacher report, etc.. Forbes did one every couple week , basically the top results when you Google 2019 NBA mock drafts , I read the new mock drafts every Monday and Friday normally, he wasn't always in them but I saw him alot going to a contender at the end of the first and the earliest was to Boston
I saw the same. He was routinely in the 20s from recollection. But truth be told I wasn’t exactly concentrating on him as I thought there was no way in hell he’d end up on the suns.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I saw the same. He was routinely in the 20s from recollection. But truth be told I wasn’t exactly concentrating on him as I thought there was no way in hell he’d end up on the suns.
I didn't either I never imagined he would be a lottery pick, I know I watched one or two videos on him just because I was bored and like to see who could possibly be sleepers later in the draft but ya 11 was a shocker

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't either I never imagined he would be a lottery pick, I know I watched one or two videos on him just because I was bored and like to see who could possibly be sleepers later in the draft but ya 11 was a shocker
I watched him quite a few times during the season and he caught my eye as a late round pick because if his stroke and height. But he never popped off the screen.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

There was one I saw that had him at 20. But then they caught wind of his medical red flags on his hips and dropped him.

He was basically a shooter, 1 trick pony pick at the end of the first round for a team that had everything... before his red flags.

That's why at 11 he is basically drafting a punter in the 1st round pick.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Roy Williams said he was told by several teams Cameron Johnson was going off the board in the twenties.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Roy was on the radio before the draft here talking about his players that where going to be drafted. Talked them all up like you would expect but said They would never been able to play as good without Cam, he made the offense work

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at Jerome. I know some here really liked him. He can distribute, shoot, has a great handle and he is big. He is obviously not very athletic. Comparing him to Jimmer or Kendall Marshall is a mistake. Jimmer was a shooting guard in a tiny body. Kendall was a passer only. He could not shoot and was not athletic.

There is a chance that Jerome might be able to contribute and fairly soon since he does not have to develop his skill set.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My prediction for next season is ty will win the starting role by game 30

If the roster remains as-is, he will "win" the starting role by game 10 by default, which is not a good place for this team to be...

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
It's actually exactly the same as last year, only with Jerome added to the mix. That's not nearly enough.
Jerome is 10x better than Canaan , and he can actually play now they are starting off with a big improvement of what they had

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerome is 10x better than Canaan , and he can actually play now they are starting off with a big improvement of what they had

We don't know that yet. Jerome hasn't played a single minute of NBA ball, and he didn't exactly demonstrate in college that he is talented enough to come in and start in the NBA right from day one. As it stands right now, Tyler Johnson is the starting point guard, with a motley crew of question marks backing him up. The only difference from how last season ended is that the motley crew now includes Ty Jerome. What we needed was not yet another addition to the question marks at back-up point guard. We needed an actual starting point guard to put Tyler Johnson on the bench where he belongs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at Jerome. I know some here really liked him. He can distribute, shoot, has a great handle and he is big. He is obviously not very athletic. Comparing him to Jimmer or Kendall Marshall is a mistake. Jimmer was a shooting guard in a tiny body. Kendall was a passer only. He could not shoot and was not athletic.

There is a chance that Jerome might be able to contribute and fairly soon since he does not have to develop his skill set.

I was one of those who really liked Ty Jerome if the Suns could acquire a later first round pick. Previously I compared him to Jeff Hornacek.

I really like the pick but I see him coming off the bench as a backup point guard. The Suns came out of the draft with two shooters. Can't help but wonder if the Suns knew they could trade for Ty Jerome when they selected Cam Johnson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was one of those who really liked Ty Jerome if the Suns could acquire a later first round pick. Previously I compared him to Jeff Hornacek.

I really like the pick but I see him coming off the bench as a backup point guard. The Suns came out of the draft with two shooters. Can't help but wonder if the Suns knew they could trade for Ty Jerome when they selected Cam Johnson.

I think their goal was to acquire as many spot up shooters as possible (and you can include Saric among the targets there). The problem is that the Suns do not have anyone who can create open shots for them.