NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gave away:
Bucks 1st next year
TJ Warren: 3 years $35m remaining

Received:
Aaron Baynes (expiring $5m)
Dario saric (expiring 3.4m then restricted FA)

So basically after next year it looks like this:
Gave away: 6, 32, Bucks pick, TJ
Received: 11, 24, control over Saric as restricted FA, $11m in cap space from TJ

Lol. I guarantee when someone calls the Suns front office all they hear is a bunch of gas and flatulence in the background.

Its not that cap space isnt good, I just dont see how Suns can find a player any where near the caliber of TJ for $35m. If Suns had to trade him, is he really worth negative equity where you have to give up #32?

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Gave away:
Bucks 1st next year

Received:

Received: 11, 24

Lol. I guarantee when someone calls the Suns front office all they hear is a bunch of gas and flatulence in the background.
And 11m of more cap room with TJ not on the books next off season. That is a big caveat for next year that should have been in the received column. It gives us an actual PF who is a pretty decent player for this season and we will have control over whether we keep him around or not and we will then have a ton of cap space next off season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And 11m of more cap room with TJ not on the books next off season. That is a big caveat for next year that should have been in the received column. It gives us an actual PF who is a pretty decent player for this season and we will have control over whether we keep him around or not and we will then have a ton of cap space next off season.

We ALWAYS have "a ton of cap space next off season". It never gets us anything, other than a ton of cap space the following offseason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gave away:
Bucks 1st next year

Received:

Received: 11, 24

. . . and goats. Don’t forget the goats.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you keep saying this but we'll only have "tons of cap room" next season if Oubre walks and I'm pretty sure no one wants Oubre to walk.

Having "tons of cap room" next summer also assumes that whatever average at best PG we sign in FA is going to only sign for one season. If we sign a Cory Joseph (who would suck as a starter and is an average at best back-up PG) or a Collison or Beverly to a multi-year deal, that too will suck up cap space next summer.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
you keep saying this but we'll only have "tons of cap room" next season if Oubre walks and I'm pretty sure no one wants Oubre to walk.

Having "tons of cap room" next summer also assumes that whatever average at best PG we sign in FA is going to only sign for one season. If we sign a Cory Joseph (who would suck as a starter and is an average at best back-up PG) or a Collison or Beverly to a multi-year deal, that too will suck up cap space next summer.

The truth is in the middle. Johnson, Jackson, Saric, Baynes have expiring contracts. That's $35M. Technically Melton does too, so they have $35M in expiring contracts. If they fit Oubre and the point guard around the $109M cap, they should be in decent shape. They are at $86M right now with Oubre's $9M hold, and Holmes' $1.6M hold. I am assuming Oubre gets $18M and Holmes is gone, then they are at $93M or so, leaving $16 to play with. Of course, they will need a PF and a backup big at that point too. But in any case, having Warren's salary of the books is better than having his salary on the books for next year.

All that said, I am sick of having cap space. I would like some good NBA players on the roster instead.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Can the suns offer DLo a contract paying him less this season? Starting next season 25 to 27 mil a year going forward. Will that allow them to sign him this offseason.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The truth is in the middle. Johnson, Jackson, Saric, Baynes have expiring contracts. That's $35M. Technically Melton does too, so they have $35M in expiring contracts. If they fit Oubre and the point guard around the $109M cap, they should be in decent shape. They are at $86M right now with Oubre's $9M hold, and Holmes' $1.6M hold. I am assuming Oubre gets $18M and Holmes is gone, then they are at $93M or so, leaving $16 to play with. Of course, they will need a PF and a backup big at that point too. But in any case, having Warren's salary of the books is better than having his salary on the books for next year.

All that said, I am sick of having cap space. I would like some good NBA players on the roster instead.
Having cap space for the next year is always good. When you really don't want to have it is the time after free agency this year to the end of this season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nah, if we signed Oubre for 15-17 million and didn't hand out any other multi year deals we'd have around 40 mil in cap space next summer and that includes what we'd owe for picks.

However, the free agent class next year blows ass. Russell and Brogdon are better than almost anyone we could hope for next year.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can the suns offer DLo a contract paying him less this season? Starting next season 25 to 27 mil a year going forward. Will that allow them to sign him this offseason.

DLo will get offered the max, either by us or someone else. That is the most he is allowed to make in every year of his contract. Theres is no backloading.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man all that to end up with $16M in space and still needing a long term starting PG, starting PF, and backup big . . . less then inspiring.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man all that to end up with $16M in space and still needing a long term starting PG, starting PF, and backup big . . . less then inspiring.

This. All of our holes are still there. Like, what the hell?..... and to expand upon our moves being less than inspiring, it really irks me that no regard appears to have been given to fan perception. All of our moves have been underwhelming. Not one inch has been given to the fans to get them excited. If it all works out great, I'll be delighted, and my faith will be renewed, but the FO hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt, and it really feels like they're pissing on my face without even the courtesy of calling it rain.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I can see what their doing and I agree, it is uninspiring. Last season we only had a handful of guys on the roster worthy of seeing NBA playing time. But as bad as we needed depth I don't think having our 4th through 10th players being of the quality of 7th or 8th men is going lift the team much.

I think one high quality point guard would have far more impact than 2 or 3 role players players.

The roster is starting to look more like an NBA roster, rather than the 2/3rds of a D-League team we had last year. However... it looks like a bad NBA roster.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see what their doing and I agree, it is uninspiring. Last season we only had a handful of guys on the roster worthy of seeing NBA playing time. But as bad as we needed depth I don't think having our 4th through 10th players being of the quality of 7th or 8th men is going lift the team much.

I think one high quality point guard would have far more impact than 2 or 3 role players players.

And it leaves me, as a fan, wondering why I should pay to go watch this product. It's as though Sarver, with his banking savvy, doesn't understand basic marketing and economics concepts. There is nothing...nothing...on which to sell this product to the fans at this point.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I was jumping from one scenario to the other. $16M is what they have to spend this year. I am assuming that's either going to a long-term PG or a one season rental. In the rental scenario, they would have whatever the rental made and then $35M- raises for the player on the roster on top of that.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also worth noting, as bad as the FA class is next season, the Suns have zero respect league wide, nobody wants to come here unless its a money grab like Ariza.

Best off just keeping TJ, not tanking, increase his value and let him play and get some wins for once. Trade him mid-season if need be for an actual asset.

OP
OP
N

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was jumping from one scenario to the other. $16M is what they have to spend this year. I am assuming that's either going to a long-term PG or a one season rental. In the rental scenario, they would have whatever the rental made and then $35M- raises for the player on the roster on top of that.

Id be okay with rental 1 year prove it deal. Theres just no way Suns get any value on a long-term deal at this point. Any veteran PG that feels they need to prove something makes sense to me.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some fans expect nothing less than a super team and thats just never likely to happen

Not a super team, but actual starters to fill the holes in the starting line-up shouldn't be too much of an ask, should it?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Some fans expect nothing less than a super team and thats just never likely to happen
Agreed. This team is going to have to build from the ground up. The best they can hope to pair with their young core is someone like DLo or an older vet. Until they prove to be a team that is just one star player away from being a real contender than solidified star level players aren't going to come here willingly.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup we just aren’t the colangelo-driven destination we were in the past. I think a lot of posters fail to recognize this fact.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric can start at pf IMO.

He can or should? Those are two different things. He is one of the worst rated PF in the league defensively and is a 10/6/5.6 guy last year. Doesn't scream starter unless you think Monty can coach him up.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He can or should? Those are two different things. He is one of the worst rated PF in the league defensively and is a 10/6/5.6 guy last year. Doesn't scream starter unless you think Monty can coach him up.
He can and should be for the Suns. He showed just 2 seasons ago that he can play a big role on a good team by putting up 15/7 in 30 mpg on a 52 win team. Those are plenty good enough numbers from him, especially when the top 2 scorers alone (Booker and Ayton) should combine for about 50 points per game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose