Kyler Murray is coming from the best OLine in CFB to the worst in the NFL?!?

Reaction score
I am so tired of hearing how Kyler Murray is coming from the best OLine in CFB to the worst in the NFL … Please let’s use some common sense here!

Was Oklahoma’s OLine the best Pass-Blocking team in CFB?

Pass-blocking stats

· Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts = 4.5% (ranked 25th)

· Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts = 3.2% (ranked 22nd)

· Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts = 6.8% (ranked 43rd)

Per Football Outsiders (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol)

Was the best Pass-Blocking team in CFB? No! Far from it! And, I contend that the stats would have been much worse if it were not for Kyler Murray! You can’t sack someone, if you can’t catch them… How many times did the DLine whiff on KM because they could not catch him? But, the credit goes to the OLine!

The Cardinal’s OLine the worse Pass-Blocking team in the NFL?

PASS PROTECTION - Ranked 26th … with 52 sacks … at a 9.2% adj. sack rate.

Bad - yes, worse in the NFL – No, there 6 worse teams! Now, let’s explore why? A.Q. Shipley, Justin Pugh, D.J. Humphries, Mike Iupati, John Wetzel, Jeremy Vujnovich and Korey Cunningham all missed multiple games due to injuries. Zero Cardinals’ offensive linemen left playing in 2018 that were part of the original starting lineup heading into training camp. The biggest key is building chemistry with the offensive line, because all five play together as one.

With the new additions, rehabs and some luck the Cards OLine will be a much improved unit this year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so tired of hearing how Kyler Murray is coming from the best OLine in CFB to the worst in the NFL … Please let’s use some common sense here!

Pass-blocking stats

· Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for all non-garbage time pass attempts = 4.5% (ranked 25th)

· Standard Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for standard downs pass attempts = 3.2% (ranked 22nd)

· Passing Downs Sack Rate: Unadjusted sack rate for passing downs pass attempts = 6.8% (ranked 43rd)

Was the best Pass-Blocking team in CFB? No! Far from it! And, I contend that the stats would have been much worse if it were not for Kyler Murray! You can’t sack someone, if you can’t catch them… How many times did the DLine whiff on KM because they could not catch him? But, the credit goes to the OLine!

Bad - yes, worse in the NFL – No, there 6 worse teams! Now, let’s explore why? A.Q. Shipley, Justin Pugh, D.J. Humphries, Mike Iupati, John Wetzel, Jeremy Vujnovich and Korey Cunningham all missed multiple games due to injuries. Zero Cardinals’ offensive linemen left playing in 2018 that were part of the original starting lineup heading into training camp. The biggest key is building chemistry with the offensive line, because all five play together as one.

With the new additions, rehabs and some luck the Cards OLine will be a much improved unit this year.

I don't care about Oklahoma's OL. It has no relevance for the Cardinals.

I do think the Cardinals had one of the worst OLs in the league last year. If not the worst.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't care about Oklahoma's OL. It has no relevance for the Cardinals.

I do think the Cardinals had one of the worst OLs in the league last year. If not the worst.

That's because you watched them every week.

The Analytics websites pretty all disagree.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So, I don't have a ton of time today to drill into this chart and nitpick each piece (plus I'm phoneposting so it's a huge chore to even try), but there's a couple of factors here where the stats don't really tell the story. For one, this is all FBS schools. Different levels of talent and opposition all across the board. We have to factor that in here. Additionally, even though Kyler is elusive, even videos that highly praise him mention his occasional proclivity to try to extend the play a bit longer with his athleticism, which leads to some sacks or pressures - not exactly blindside hits, but still ones that affect these stats.

The main point here is that the NFL graded out this line to find 4 of his 5 starters worthy of being drafted, something not afforded to the rest of the QBs in college ball last year. Contrasted to our OL where not a single guy would be guaranteed a starting spot on any other line in the NFL, it's a big difference.

OP
OP
Card Down Under
Reaction score
Bottom line, will all the injuries and different line-up the Cards had last year, the "analytic" stat from Football Outsiders ranked the Card's OLine as the 25th overall (26th for pass protection). Last time I checked there were 32 teams in the NFL so, please don't say "the worse team in the NFL".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Contrasted to our OL where not a single guy would be guaranteed a starting spot on any other line in the NFL, it's a big difference.

I don't believe that's true. Gilbert is a very good RT. I could see Humphries and Pugh starting on other lines as well. I guess you could do a full break down of every offensive line in the NFL, but I think you should just admit that this probably isn't true at all.

Sweezy? Meh.

Shipley? Meh.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you are being to generous.

Maybe. If you look at offensive line performance, a lot of it is really tied to health more than anything else. During the years where the Cardinals offensive line performed the best, they were healthy.

That's maybe the biggest gamble the team is taking this year, was not throwing more at the offensive line and instead relying on guys who have had multiple injuries getting healthy. On paper, IF they stay healthy, it's not a terribad unit. But that's a massive IF.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, will all the injuries and different line-up the Cards had last year, the "analytic" stat from Football Outsiders ranked the Card's OLine as the 25th overall (26th for pass protection). Last time I checked there were 32 teams in the NFL so, please don't say "the worse team in the NFL".

As I have mentioned in the past I don't buy the whole analytics things for football. Too many variables that they don't know to be effective.

With that said if you are ranked 25th out of 32 teams you are pretty bad. All I know is that the Cardinals OL was an absolute mess last year and I don't care if a stat nerd says a handful of other teams were worse. Bad is Bad.

Playing the injury card doesn't change anything either. Injuries are a big part of football. A players most important ability is Availability!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As I have mentioned in the past I don't buy the whole analytics things for football. Too many variables that they don't know to be effective.

With that said if you are ranked 25th out of 32 teams you are pretty bad. All I know is that the Cardinals OL was an absolute mess last year and I don't care if a stat nerd says a handful of other teams were worse. Bad is Bad.

Playing the injury card doesn't change anything either. Injuries are a big part of football. A players most important ability is Availability!

It does change things though. The entire starting offensive line was hurt. And probably the entire second unit too.

Injuries ARE a part of football, but it's quite rare that a team has THAT many injuries.

What's great about Football Outsiders is that they adjust rankings based on opponents, so you get an understanding of whether schedule played a part.

Just like how everyone is crowing that Murray's offensive line was so great. AMAZING. BEST OLINE EVERZ! And they looked like trash against Alabama.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Urban has said multiple times that after this season, D.J. Humphries is going to get paid, either here or somewhere else, even if he only starts 12 games.

I find that extraordinarily difficult to believe.

That said, pointing at one advance metric and declaring victory because Oklahoma’s OL was only in the top 15% of offensive lines and the Cards in the bottom 15% doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the ceiling of this offensive line is 15th. Not good.
Actually..... If we get to 15th, the difference will be so massive and so noticeable that we will probably be competing for a Wild Card spot.

I'm hoping for top 20 personally. And am quietly hoping that Sweezy & Gilbert actually solidify things.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Pass-blocking stats

Aren't there like 110 or so college teams in D1? So being #25 and #43, respectively, is ranking much much higher than #29 and #26 out of 32 NFL teams....or am I missing something?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Aren't there like 110 or so college teams in D1? So being #25 and #43, respectively, is ranking much much higher than #29 and #26 out of 32 NFL teams....or am I missing something?

It's actually 130 teams. So that would place OK about 6th or 7th as it relates to the NFL

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

The point is that it is inaccurate to say that he went from the best in college to the worst in the NFL.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Air Raid Rule #1 - balls out in 3 seconds or less.

That will help any o-line look good.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pass-blocking stats

My brotha from another mother

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The point is that it is inaccurate to say that he went from the best in college to the worst in the NFL.
Oh come on. If you even go to the link and look at the teams, there's plenty of top 5 results for the line, and OP was cherrypicking. It's not about going from "the best" to "the worst," it's just a significant downgrade vs. the level of competition.