Welcome Cam Johnson

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No because optimism and excitement aren't negative emotions. It is draining to be overly upset about things that you can't be certain about. If you want to allow yourself to be upset like that than that is your prerogative, but I try to stay away from that myself.
Conversely you set yourself up for a tremendous let down - and even greater negativity - when you’re unrealistic. But that’s your prerogative.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Conversely you set yourself up for a tremendous let down - and even greater negativity - when you’re unrealistic. But that’s your prerogative.
Sure, but when it comes to something like the draft it usually takes a while before you get to the point of a let down. By the time the let down comes around you are probably no longer high on excitement anyways.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure, but when it comes to something like the draft it usually takes a while before you get to the point of a let down. By the time the let down comes around you are probably no longer high on excitement anyways.
Are you telling me you’re high in excitement right now? Really?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Are you telling me you’re high in excitement right now? Really?
And you got that where exactly?...

I am pretty neutral right now and would rate the draft a C personally. Believe it or not you don't have to be either excited or pissed off. There can be a middle ground.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Uh I got it from your post.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What did you like about the Warren trade? Any time I see a trade made by us for cash considerations, it reopens a long standing wound. Attaching a draft pick to Warren rubbed salt in it.

I liked getting rid of a player whop was not needed, getting $30M+ off the books and getting additional cap space. Warren was not needed with the emergence of Oubre and Bridges. His trade value was extremely low, so trading him for cap space was absolutely the right thing to do. Now, that\s half the picture. Second half is what they do with that cap space. Even if it's a very "average" point guard that gets signed with the additional cap space will be a huge upgrade over the third SF with no value and mysterious injuries year after year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked getting rid of a player whop was not needed, getting $30M+ off the books and getting additional cap space. Warren was not needed with the emergence of Oubre and Bridges. His trade value was extremely low, so trading him for cap space was absolutely the right thing to do. Now, that\s half the picture. Second half is what they do with that cap space. Even if it's a very "average" point guard that gets signed with the additional cap space will be a huge upgrade over the third SF with no value and mysterious injuries year after year.

Warren is 10,000 times better than Saric/Baynes/Joseph.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Uh I got it from your post.
"you are probably no longer high on excitement anyways" isn't me saying "I will no longer be high on excitement".

I was simply defending it as a better place to be emotionally than being upset (for me personally). That is simply where I would rather be, but so far this off season has me somewhat intrigued to see where it goes from here, but pretty neutral on what has happened thus far.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You didn't address the attachment of the pick. You were happy with that?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Warren is 10,000 times better than Saric/Baynes/Joseph.
Not if he sits out the whole year, you're the one always posting about how Booker is going to get fed up and demand a trade, well Warren was already fed up and if not for the fact he knew he'd be traded I'm sure he would have ask out

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not if he sits out the whole year, you're the one always posting about how Booker is going to get fed up and demand a trade, well Warren was already fed up and if not for the fact he knew he'd be traded I'm sure he would have ask out

Oh please, they shut him down due to a ‘bone bruise’. The bottom line is a guy that can give you 18+ per night efficiently with some above average rebounding isnt something you just give away. Not to mention he had a great contract. Youre not getting remotely that caliber player for $35m over 3 years in free agency. Youre going to get Timofay Mosgav

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like the draft more than most of you. I think the Suns are a better basketball team right now.

Johnson WAS a reach, but I think his value is one of the biggest problems the Suns had last year, hitting open jump shots.

I think the Suns looked at the PG options and decided none of them were going to help the 2019-2020 Suns win. Saric is an average player, but average players are Badly needed on the Suns. He will be a useful player.

Free Agency will be MUCH more important this year. If they can add DLO it's a homerun.

DLO
Booker
Bridges/Oubre/Johnson
Saric
Ayton

That's a decent NBA lineup with shooting, playmaking, and some defense.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You didn't address the attachment of the pick. You were happy with that?

It's a second-round pick. It's not like they traded a #1 pick in the draft. I honestly could not care less about a second-round pick. If a second-round pick is the price to get rid of a sizable contract that has to be moved in order to sign a player to a position of need, I won't even think about it for a second.

Worrying about a second-round pick or the third-best small forward being traded for cap space is incredibly short-sighted, in my opinion. Suns are loaded with youngsters- Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton, and then Melton, Okobo, Jackson, and another two rookies. They don't need a second-round pick. They need players who can play basketball. If they were to not sign a veteran point guard, then your concerns are spot on, and I will be right there with you. However, at this time, we don't know how it will play out. We have incomplete information right now, and there is no way to tell if it was a great move or a terrible one.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a second-round pick. It's not like they traded a #1 pick in the draft. I honestly could not care less about a second-round pick. If a second-round pick is the price to get rid of a sizable contract that has to be moved in order to sign a player to a position of need, I won't even think about it for a second.

Worrying about a second-round pick or the third-best small forward being traded for cap space is incredibly short-sighted, in my opinion. Suns are loaded with youngsters- Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton, and then Melton, Okobo, Jackson, and another two rookies. They don't need a second-round pick. They need players who can play basketball. If they were to not sign a veteran point guard, then your concerns are spot on, and I will be right there with you. However, at this time, we don't know how it will play out. We have incomplete information right now, and there is no way to tell if it was a great move or a terrible one.

You realize they used most of that cap space on Saric and Baynes?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like the draft more than most of you. I think the Suns are a better basketball team right now.

Johnson WAS a reach, but I think his value is one of the biggest problems the Suns had last year, hitting open jump shots.

I think the Suns looked at the PG options and decided none of them were going to help the 2019-2020 Suns win. Saric is an average player, but average players are Badly needed on the Suns. He will be a useful player.

Free Agency will be MUCH more important this year. If they can add DLO it's a homerun.

DLO
Booker
Bridges/Oubre/Johnson
Saric
Ayton

That's a decent NBA lineup with shooting, playmaking, and some defense.

Right, exactly. They don't need another Bender, Chriss, or Jackson. They need actual players who can play basketball at an NBA-level. They were terrible last year because they had no NBA talent beyond Booker, the two rookies, and then Oubre and Johnson later on. Outside of those guys, they were a G-League team accompanied by one grandpa. There was a brief stretch when everyone was healthy and they played quite well. They played well because they had enough NBA players (barely) to compete.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They used 8 of the 11 this year, but all 11 will be available next year. As for this year that 3 million could be the difference between making a play on someone like DLO or not.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They used 8 of the 11 this year, but all 11 will be available next year. As for this year that 3 million could be the difference between making a play on someone like DLO or not.

DLo will require a max offer. That 3 million is the difference between us being able to offer a rookie level max contract? I'm not sure if that's correct. We still have to make a move to get us to that kind of cap space. As it stands right now, we're in the same neighborhood of FA options as we were before.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
DLo will require a max offer. That 3 million is the difference between us being able to offer a rookie level max contract? I'm not sure if that's correct. We still have to make a move to get us to that kind of cap space. As it stands right now, we're in the same neighborhood of FA options as we were before.
That's my thinking too. Even if we stretch Tyler Johnson, I am thinking we get only to a middle free agent salary. I know we have about a 9 mil MLE sitting out there too. So essentially maybe a couple average NBA players left to get maybe?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Absolutely we will still have to make moves to get there, but we are at least 3m closer with the events that have taken place thus far. So we now have a more well rounded roster with more NBA level players while also having some more cap space. It's not perfect by any means, but I do think it is a better position than we were in a couple days ago.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Had the thought that the Suns may not want anymore good players because they’ll have to pay them. They have Booker signed to a huge deal and they’re gonna have to max out Ayton at some point. Maybe Sarver has given orders that under no circumstances can they have a third max contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

That is short-sighted and oversimplified.

Here is what they did:
  • They used $8.9M on those two players, still adding almost $2M to the available cap space, as Warren made $10.8M.
  • Then they saved additional money by being able to remove the cap hold on Holmes (Baynes is the new Holmes for next year.) That's another $1.6M.
  • Draft pick salaries averaged out.
  • Suns were able to add four player while losing one to remove some additional holds since every empty roster spot has a certain hold on it (These are called "roster charges").
  • They also managed to get an average starting power forward for next season for less than $4M.

They added some $4M to available cap space while securing a starting power forward and a backup center in the process and adding two rookies instead of one.

I don't understand what you wanted them to do with Warren and the 32nd pick. There is no place to Warren to get his minutes since he can't guard a chair while the other small forwards are defensive stoppers. They traded a second-round pick, and added a first round pick, replaced an average SF (no need for one) with an average PF (major need for the team next year), and they replaced one backup center with another one in order to be able to release the cap hold on Holmes. What else do you want? They are not getting Jrue Holiday or Kemba Walker for an average SF who is always hurt. They did an outstanding job yesterday, turning a useless pick and a redundant player into a starting PF for next year while adding an extra rookie and clearing over $4M to add to the free-agent (PG) fund.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Oh please, they shut him down due to a ‘bone bruise’. The bottom line is a guy that can give you 18+ per night efficiently with some above average rebounding isnt something you just give away. Not to mention he had a great contract. Youre not getting remotely that caliber player for $35m over 3 years in free agency. Youre going to get Timofay Mosgav
I've never been as high on him as some people here , he's a decent rebounder for a sf but not as a pf and he's awful on defense , I always here people say Booker only does this good because he's on the sun's , well I think that's actually not that far off for tj I don't see him getting more than 13 pts on another team he's a 6th man type player he doesn't start for most teams and 6th man player who doesn't want to be on his current team is never going to get a great return, they probably could have gotten more but according to reports they didn't have many takers, obviously teams don't see him that highly

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

They have $13.2M available right now. Stretching Tyler could give them another $12.8M. Russel's extension starts at $27M. They are not giving him the max anyway, but the point is that yes, what they did yesterday is indeed the difference between being able to offer a max or not offer a max. All they have to do is trade one- Okobo or Melton for nothing in return, or trade either of them and/or Jackson for a little bit less salary in return.