I bought a guitar

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Depending on which one you want, these custom shop GoT guitars are going for $25K, $30K, and $35K apiece.

Glad rich people are finding useful ways to spend those awesome tax breaks.

Is this an example of trickle down economics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad rich people are finding useful ways to spend those awesome tax breaks.

Is this an example of trickle down economics?

I'd be surprised if they get more than 100 orders total around the World, but what do I know.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my days as a bass player were over many moons ago. My grandson started playing guitar a couple of years ago. He kept playing 12 bar blues and always skipped a measure. It drove me freaking crazy so I grabbed him by the ear and made him pay attention. Over a few week period I made him play the progression about 10,000 times in 3 or 4 different keys. Then he punked out on his studies so I cut off his school money I'd saved and off to North Dakota he went to work for Haliburton .. Oil fields in the winter in ND.. sweet... lol. Needless to say, he hated me at the time.

So, it was my birthday last week and he shows up to wish me happy birthday. He brings me a present... a Fender Stratocaster, Stevie Ray Vaughn model!! He says, "Here you go old man, YOU learn to play the guitar!" You gotta be kiddin' me. So here I am, 72 years old, starting from scratch with a Stratocaster. I've been at it a week, my fingers hurt like hell and I can play a 2 octave E scale and a G major chord... I got nuttin. But I'll show that little punk!!! Just give me some time. HA!

My grandson loves me and I love him.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my days as a bass player were over many moons ago. My grandson started playing guitar a couple of years ago. He kept playing 12 bar blues and always skipped a measure. It drove me freaking crazy so I grabbed him by the ear and made him pay attention. Over a few week period I made him play the progression about 10,000 times in 3 or 4 different keys. Then he punked out on his studies so I cut off his school money I'd saved and off to North Dakota he went to work for Haliburton .. Oil fields in the winter in ND.. sweet... lol. Needless to say, he hated me at the time.

So, it was my birthday last week and he shows up to wish me happy birthday. He brings me a present... a Fender Stratocaster, Stevie Ray Vaughn model!! He says, "Here you go old man, YOU learn to play the guitar!" You gotta be kiddin' me. So here I am, 72 years old, starting from scratch with a Stratocaster. I've been at it a week, my fingers hurt like hell and I can play a 2 octave E scale and a G major chord... I got nuttin. But I'll show that little punk!!! Just give me some time. HA!

Great story! Very nice ax, too. Grandson has excellent taste!

There are tons of guitar instruction resources online, but I still prefer a real, in person, teacher. Peel off the $30/week and get to work, old man!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story! Very nice ax, too. Grandson has excellent taste!

There are tons of guitar instruction resources online, but I still prefer a real, in person, teacher. Peel off the $30/week and get to work, old man!

Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive practice amp? I'm also thinking about going to a pawn shop and picking up a cheap acoustic guitar. Steel strings are killing me. Good idea or no?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive practice amp? I'm also thinking about going to a pawn shop and picking up a cheap acoustic guitar. Steel strings are killing me. Good idea or no?

Acoustic is going to be far more brutal on your fingers than electric in my experience. It will go away after a few weeks

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Bar chords

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This video popped into my feed today that might give you some insight on a practice amp:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I always suggest going somewhere where they'll let you try it out first so you know what you're buying and how it sounds with your gear. Make sure they have a good return policy just in case.

As far as an acoustic goes, you could get a classical that uses nylon strings, but if you're going normal acoustic, it will be much more difficult like BRR explained. I say just get the practice amp and power through the discomfort until you start building up some callouses. You may eventually still want an acoustic, but cheap and quality instrument don't usually go hand in hand.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video popped into my feed today that might give you some insight on a practice amp:

I always suggest going somewhere where they'll let you try it out first so you know what you're buying and how it sounds with your gear. Make sure they have a good return policy just in case.

As far as an acoustic goes, you could get a classical that uses nylon strings, but if you're going normal acoustic, it will be much more difficult like BRR explained. I say just get the practice amp and power through the discomfort until you start building up some callouses. You may eventually still want an acoustic, but cheap and quality instrument don't usually go hand in hand.

I like the sound of the Marshall. I'd be hard pressed to take my instrument in for a test because I can't play anything yet... lol.

I'll skip the acoustic like you guys suggested. I will take lessons as soon as I can get it together. There's no case with it so I have to get one before I can take it anywhere.

This seems like a daunting task but I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm going to see Los Lonely Boys tomorrow night so maybe I can get some tips... lol

EDIT: this Fender has good reviews for a beginner.. Also comes with a cord. I don't even have a pick either.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...m=item_page.rrt1|CategorySiloedViewPurchaseCP

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question, will I need a right angle cord? Not sure a straight one will plug in

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of the Marshall. I'd be hard pressed to take my instrument in for a test because I can't play anything yet... lol.

I'll skip the acoustic like you guys suggested. I will take lessons as soon as I can get it together. There's no case with it so I have to get one before I can take it anywhere.

I'm going to see Los Lonely Boys tomorrow night so maybe I can get some tips... lol

EDIT: this Fender has good reviews for a beginner.. Also comes with a cord. I don't even have a pick either.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...m=item_page.rrt1|CategorySiloedViewPurchaseCP

Have someone at the shop demo it for you. You'll probably make the young man's day. He's dying to bust out his sickest riffs.

Just pick a price range for the amp and have them demo them all. Choose the one that sounds best for you and can cover the sounds that you'll want to practice. Picks are cheap, get a variety of thicknesses, you never know what you'll like, but I would start with medium. I like Tortex brand.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question, will I need a right angle cord? Not sure a straight one will plug in

I've never had a problem with straight ends on my cords working on just about everything. Don't buy the crazy expensive cords either. They're not necessary.

Just make sure they have a good return policy in case something weird pops up. A decent shop will want to build a relationship with you and be willing to guide you through this stuff.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know tech isnt your friend and I imagine you do not have a video game console but if you have this or last generation, there is a game called rocksmith that you play with a real guitar. There are mini games on it that teach you chords, picking certain strings without having to look, scales and more. That game is how I got through finger soreness. I spent weeks only able to play for like 15 minutes and my fingers would hurt (on acoustic). Once I got on rocksmith, the minigames were so addicting that I played for like 4 hours straight and my fingers never hurt again.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know tech isnt your friend and I imagine you do not have a video game console but if you have this or last generation, there is a game called rocksmith that you play with a real guitar. There are mini games on it that teach you chords, picking certain strings without having to look, scales and more. That game is how I got through finger soreness. I spent weeks only able to play for like 15 minutes and my fingers would hurt (on acoustic). Once I got on rocksmith, the minigames were so addicting that I played for like 4 hours straight and my fingers never hurt again.

I found this guy to start with. Seems like a really good site with tons of instruction. The beginners lessons start with very basic stuff.. guitar nomenclature, how to hold it... various other tips, etc before you even take lesson number 1.

@puckhead I'd like your opinion on this site if you have a minute to check it out.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

I'm going to take the guitar to a shop to get the action set as soon as I can find a good one. I'll talk to them about lessons.

Thanks for reminding me that tech is not my friend. You're not my friend either! Ha!

Speaking of friends, I don't have any so it may be a challenge for me to find someone to play with.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this guy to start with. Seems like a really good site with tons of instruction. The beginners lessons start with very basic stuff.. guitar nomenclature, how to hold it... various other tips, etc before you even take lesson number 1.

@puckhead I'd like your opinion on this site if you have a minute to check it out.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

I'm going to take the guitar to a shop to get the action set as soon as I can find a good one. I'll talk to them about lessons.

Thanks for reminding me that tech is not my friend. You're not my friend either! Ha!

Speaking of friends, I don't have any so it may be a challenge for me to find someone to play with.

I think that's a great place to start! I like that he isn't promising the moon in the first lesson and that he offers up his content for free. I don't think you should skip a face to face lesson, but in the interim, this seems like a great way to get your feet wet.

You and BRR should start a band called the Wonderwall Boys.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great place to start! I like that he isn't promising the moon in the first lesson and that he offers up his content for free. I don't think you should skip a face to face lesson, but in the interim, this seems like a great way to get your feet wet.

Since I'm such a tech wizard, we could do lots of Techno stuff.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since I'm such a tech wizard, we could do lots of Techno stuff.

I'm ready for wonderwall, no problem.

Reaction score
You'll be playing like this kid in no time. :) (skip to the 2:00 mark to watch him play)

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in my first 2 months of playing, I've learned one thing. If you want to learn how to play the guitar, you REALLY have to WANT to learn how to play the guitar. I've practiced at least an hour a day, sometimes 2 hours or more and man, it's hard work. I've learned
most of the open chords but I can't play any songs yet because changing chords smoothly... well let's just say I ain't there yet. After all these years of not playing this sure seems a lot more difficult than learning how to play bass. This takes dedication and I have a newfound respect for anyone who has it!