Draft trades and draft rumors

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I forgot who all the picks were, but right around that time period, guys were routinely booed on draft night, and turned out to be some of our better players. I think they booed The Matrix on draft night. I remember every time they were booed, I would tell my wife, Suns just made a good pick! Now lately, people cheer our picks. Which worries me about Ayton. Probably biggest draft night cheer I ever heard by Suns fans!

Most notably Amare Stoudemire was booed, and I LOVED that pick from day one.

I admit I was wrong on Marion. I liked him and didn't mind the pick, but I preferred Corey Maggette.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's way off even allowing for a little hyperbole.

A lot of people loved Ball but he had a lot of detractors, close to half the fans I read were very much against him. I was opposed to drafting him but that's solely because of his dad, I actually thought he'd be a star in the NBA.

Sam Bowie was a bad pick only in that there was someone even better than him. Jordan notwithstanding, Bowie would have easily justified his draft slot if it hadn't been for chronic injury problems.

I was adamantly against Fultz and wanted at least a half dozen other players over Josh Jackson and I know I wasn't alone.

Bender was highly rated by some but not even close to all.

Wiggins was a huge miss for most of us but there's no denying he has the physical gifts to be a stud, he just lacks in the mental and emotional areas and that is almost impossible to gauge prior to the big pay day.

As for White, I have serious concerns about him but if you don't see at least the potential for stardom, I'd have to question how much you've actually watched him. I hope we don't draft him so I can easily understand anyone else feeling the same way - his flaws are quite alarming. But his strengths are almost as impressive IMO and if he's coachable and willing to work, a guarantee that he won't succeed is foolhardy AFAIC.
The article White just wrote, and the little bit of interview I have heard from him, I get the feeling this kid is smart. He seems more old school, family oriented as a person. Could this all be marketing right before the draft? Maybe. I just get a feeling you won't have a lot of off court issues with him. That doesn't mean his skills will develop like we want, but he seems like he will work on them. Just looking at his recent statements.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly at the time, I thought Larry Nance, Dan Majerle, Steve Nash, and Shawn Marion were all big mistakes. Needless to say, the Suns scouts at the time were a lot smarter than me.

On the other hand, I also hated the selections of Ed Pinckney (over Karl Malone), Tim Perry, and 95% of what the Suns have done in the draft since Sarver took over. So not totally incorrect.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I forgot who all the picks were, but right around that time period, guys were routinely booed on draft night, and turned out to be some of our better players. I think they booed The Matrix on draft night. I remember every time they were booed, I would tell my wife, Suns just made a good pick! Now lately, people cheer our picks. Which worries me about Ayton. Probably biggest draft night cheer I ever heard by Suns fans!

Ayton was going #1 to probably 80% of the teams in the lottery. Some of those teams might have gone with Doncic but I don't think there were too many that were willing to pass on the generational big for the Euro wing. It was easier for others to second guess if the Suns made the right choice because it did come down to that and guessing is free. I'm surprised Sacramento hasn't been hit more for passing on Doncic as well. The Kings taking Bagley makes less sense, especially because Fox had a so-so rookie season, at best. It's not like they could say they didn't need a playmaker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most notably Amare Stoudemire was booed, and I LOVED that pick from day one.

I admit I was wrong on Marion. I liked him and didn't mind the pick, but I preferred Corey Maggette.

I don't recall Amare being booed. Thought that was a great pick and Jerry Colangelo gave his blessing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The article White just wrote, and the little bit of interview I have heard from him, I get the feeling this kid is smart. He seems more old school, family oriented as a person. Could this all be marketing right before the draft? Maybe. I just get a feeling you won't have a lot of off court issues with him. That doesn't mean his skills will develop like we want, but he seems like he will work on them. Just looking at his recent statements.

I'm not sure which interview you saw, I watched the combine interview earlier, after I read the article he wrote, and I'm impressed with him. He has a much better head on his shoulders than I thought he did. He seems to be a smart kid who is willing to put in the work. Here is a link to that interview, Jay Bilas is in the panel that conducted it....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure which interview you saw, I watched the combine interview earlier, after I read the article he wrote, and I'm impressed with him. He has a much better head on his shoulders than I thought he did. He seems to be a smart kid who is willing to put in the work. Here is a link to that interview, Jay Bilas is in the panel that conducted it....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolutely. The question is whether or not he has the talent/ability, and in particular the in-time-spur-of-the-moment decision-making ability needed to play the point in the NBA, particularly in half-court sets.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Absolutely. The question is whether or not he has the talent/ability, and in particular the in-time-spur-of-the-moment decision-making ability needed to play the point in the NBA, particularly in half-court sets.
Isn't that the same question any point guard in this draft needs to answer? Even Ja Morant? How many players in a draft historically can you even answer that question about with any certainty?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't that the same question any point guard in this draft needs to answer? Even Ja Morant? How many players in a draft historically can you even answer that question about with any certainty?

True, which is why he is not the solution at point guard for the next season or two. White, like Morant and Garland, is a long-term developmental prospect. Hunter, on the other hand, is far more ready to contribute now, and at a position of need. I would still draft Hunter, since we need a veteran point guard in either scenario.

Gambo is now saying that Hunter would be the pick over Culver if White were off the board at 6. Starting to hope that White is off the board at 6...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's similar to NFL Quarterbacks. You just don't know before they play in the NFL with NFL speed and defensive coverages. Basically, you try and pick the best guy you can. You just don't know until they get under center.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
True, which is why he is not the solution at point guard for the next season or two. White, like Morant and Garland, is a long-term developmental prospect. Hunter, on the other hand, is far more ready to contribute now, and at a position of need. I would still draft Hunter, since we need a veteran point guard in either scenario.

Gambo is now saying that Hunter would be the pick over Culver if White were off the board at 6. Starting to hope that White is off the board at 6...
It is possible because no one knows what will happen at 5. Its well thought now that Garland goes at 4 by as many as ten teams saying they want him, and the Pels saying they will trade the pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's White or Hunter or trade down.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's White or Hunter or trade down.

Well, Gambo did just say that if White and Hunter were off the board, Garland was available, but the Suns couldn't work a trade, the Suns would take Culver. However, I think that scenario is extremely unlikely, if not impossible.

I think everything comes down to what Cleveland does at 5. My fear is that Garland is gone at 4, Cleveland takes Reddish at 5, and the Suns take White over Hunter at 6.

Any scenario other than the two above (in particular, taking Hunter at 6, taking White at 6 if Garland and Hunter go 4 and 5, or trading down if White and Hunter go 4 and 5) would be fine with me.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Having listened to everything Gambo and all the others have to say I think it's clear that we are either drafting somebody or somebody else unless we draft no one at all. And I think Gambo and company have nailed it this year.

Given that Gambo is all but assuring the above, I'll instead put my money on the Suns franchise folding moments before the draft even begins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having listened to everything Gambo and all the others have to say I think it's clear that we are either drafting somebody or somebody else unless we draft no one at all. And I think Gambo and company have nailed it this year.

The more I listen, I think they follow our forum. The consensus here seems to be White, Hunter or trade down.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, Gambo did just say that if White and Hunter were off the board, Garland was available, but the Suns couldn't work a trade, the Suns would take Culver. However, I think that scenario is extremely unlikely, if not impossible.

I think everything comes down to what Cleveland does at 5. My fear is that Garland is gone at 4, Cleveland takes Reddish at 5, and the Suns take White over Hunter at 6.

Any scenario other than the two above (in particular, taking Hunter at 6, taking White at 6 if Garland and Hunter go 4 and 5, or trading down if White and Hunter go 4 and 5) would be fine with me.
I think you have a 50/50 chance at Hunter. If Hunter is snapped up at 5 because someone move up, then it's White. Someone could move up for White at 5. It isn't likely, but maybe a team that needs PG does it. Then we take Hunter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It appears Garland is in high demand so if White and Hunter are gone, it's likely the Suns trade down and pick up more assets. I'd prefer a trade down in this situation.

I do like White over Hunter although Hunter is fine if White is not available. Guess we will keep our eyes on Culver.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't believe Hunter is a PF. Yes he would work against a lot of teams, but he would get pushed around and abused by classic PF's.

He does not rebound well, or protect the rim either.

He is a small forward that plays with the speed of a PF.

But I would much rather have him than White.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My son just texted Ashly Nevel saying something big coming from Suns

teaser only