Suns have discussed Warren, Jackson, #6 pick in trade packages

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
97.7 was throwing out Conley again, who I think Gambo said Suns aren't interested. Conley, if they take Tyler back, gives only partial relief to Memphis this year, but saves them over 30 million in year two. We are on the hook again, but we were going to have cap space next year. The only reason we do it, is a two year rental with Conley, then we are done. Assuming we drafted White or Garland, they get two years with Conley then we are completly done. Whereas, some of the other guys who are cheaper will either have more years on their contract, or we would have to sign them longer to get them here. Depends on if we find someone we can afford we want long term.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Okay, but I'm assuming that they want to keep Oubre. (I wish they weren't giving up on Holmes, but apparently they are.) Oubre's cap hold would reduce the number.

Basically I'm wondering whether they could realistically pursue a decent PF if they trade the farm for Holiday.
If they get Jrue, I wonder if Oubre is a real option given they need a starting caliber PF.

I'd much rather see them land a guy like Thaddeus Young on the "cheap" vs overspending for Randle. If we land Jrue, our O should go through 1, 2, and 5 providing flexibility to put Defenders at 3 and 4 (Bridges and Young).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man if 4 and 6 could fetch #2 I’d do whatever we need to do to get 4 (we already have 6).

JJ, warren, Milwaukee pick, #32, next years unprotected #1 and another future protected pick? That’s a haul. Particularly for a pick (#4) in a draft that is only 3 deep.

But if meant netting morant and clearing enough cap to sign randle and still resign Oubre, sign me the F up!

In that scenario, next year's unprotected #1 would likely end up being the top overall pick. Especially without a veteran point guard (and I maintain that it will take Morant at least 2-3 years to become a viable NBA starting point guard), the resulting Suns team likely wins 15 games tops.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The whole thing is we need multiple bigs! 32 I am thinking is guaranteed to be a big. How do we afford multiple veteren bigs and a PG using the MLE? Gonna have to be some tricky work. MLE may end up being a big instead of PG.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In that scenario, next year's unprotected #1 would likely end up being the top overall pick. Especially without a veteran point guard (and I maintain that it will take Morant at least 2-3 years to become a viable NBA starting point guard), the resulting Suns team likely wins 15 games tops.
Not sure we would be worse than 19 wins. I think coaching cost us wins last year. I am assuming coaching will be a plus for us this year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure we would be worse than 19 wins. I think coaching cost us wins last year. I am assuming coaching will be a plus for us this year.

It absolutely will, but even the best coach in the NBA would not be able to coax much, if anything, out of the following roster:

Morant
Booker
Oubre
Randle
Ayton

Bridges
Okobo
Melton
???
???
???
???
???
???
???

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously not trying to be funny, how do we sign enough guys to make the NBA minimum?

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seriously not trying to be funny, how do we sign enough guys to make the NBA minimum?

Well, the last few years, we have been taking guys off the street and out of the G League and handing them minimum contracts...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No. We wouldn’t get beat up on the boards as we have in the past, morant might not be lights out right outta the box but he’d be eons better than the dreck we trotted out at pg last year. In addition guys like Ayton, bridges would improve as they mature. Having a full season of Oubre would help. And coaching would be an improvement. It would be a young and relatively thin team. But extremely talented. I could see them only winning 27 games, but they’d be incredibly entertaining and i think their rise in subsequent years would be rapid.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, the last few years, we have been taking guys off the street and out of the G League and handing them minimum contracts...
I believe you get two of those dleague contracts. We need to trade down just to get more rookie contracts. Maybe trade back into the second round?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe you get two of those dleague contracts. We need to trade down just to get more rookie contracts. Maybe trade back into the second round?

No there are two two-way contracts. We can sign as many undeserving G League players to full contracts as we want.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Two-way contract doesn't help us get to NBA minimum players on a team. It is intended to be in addition to the maximum number. In any event they have to be undrafted players. The kicker is only 45 days in the NBA total.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I don't understand the question. Are you suggesting that NBA scrubs fighting for a job would turn down a contract offer from the Suns?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
y'all are getting real excited about something that probably has 2.3% chance of happening.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

You can use the mid-level exception, and you can sign minimum guys. It's not that difficult as long as you understand that these are basically non-NBA players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't understand the question. Are you suggesting that NBA scrubs fighting for a job would turn down a contract offer from the Suns?
No. Looking a page or two back on posts, they have the actual number of guys signed right now. We are a LONG way off from NBA minimum roster size. We have very little cap room. Something has to give.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You can use the mid-level exception, and you can sign minimum guys. It's not that difficult as long as you understand that these are basically non-NBA players.

That moment you realize they may pick up Jimmer Fredette's option:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. Looking a page or two back on posts, they have the actual number of guys signed right now. We are a LONG way off from NBA minimum roster size. We have very little cap room. Something has to give.

You can be a billion dollars over the cap and still hand out minimum contracts like candy. Nothing has to give.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He should have been fired the minute the Dragic/Thomas/Bledsoe debacle blew up in his face.

These two also! Tell me that Sarver was meddling when Trevor Ariza, who just came off a horrible play off series with Houston, was signed for that much. That is NOT a Sarver contract, LOL.

I don't know how we ended up in such a talent abyss and cap hell.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

These two also! Tell me that Sarver was meddling when Trevor Ariza, who just came off a horrible play off series with Houston, was signed for that much. That is NOT a Sarver contract, LOL.

Largely because we didn't use our assets to acquire good players before Warren and Booker's extensions came into play, in addition to several horrible draft selections and poor free agent signings.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We can go over the cap to sign players to deals that are for the league minimum, that's what Crawford was signed to last year as well as Spalding, just for examples. It's not uncommon for teams to round out their roster with 2-5 guys signed for the league minimum. Don't worry about it, it's not a problem. We can spend all of our cap space and only have 8 guys under contract and then we need to find 4-5 that will take minimum deals, there will be players out there like that. Some are worth more, like Crawford was last year, but not much more. The way the NBA works though a lot of guys will end up underpaid a year or two because they got overpaid at some point or they will get overpaid in the future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Take a look at Washington's cap situation or Minnesota's. The Suns are far from cap hell. Trust me, compare the Suns cap situation to other teams. There is hope for the Suns but a team like OKC has no hope on the horizon.