Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window for matching free agents has been cut down to three days and Russell's cap hold is 21 million. Their goal is to sign 2 max guys, they can't sign 2 max free agents and keep him, period.

You must be registered for see images attach
NBA.com

Free Agency Explained
Free Agency for the 2019-20 season begins at 6 p.m. ET on June 30
Jun 10, 2019 12:54 PM ET

Free agency for the 2019-20 season begins at 6 p.m. ET on June 30, 2019. This is six hours earlier than the previous start time of 12:01 a.m. ET on July 1.

Free Agency Terminology

Restricted Free Agency

A restricted free agent (RFA) can sign an offer sheet with any team, but the player's original team can retain him by matching the terms of that offer. The original team is said to have the "right of first refusal."

Restricted free agency exists in the following situations:

• Following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for former first-round Draft picks.
  • For all veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less. The exception to this rule is a first-round Draft pick following his second or third season if his team doesn't exercise its option to extend his rookie-scale contract for the following season. These players then become unrestricted free agents.
  • A player coming off a two-way contract was on an NBA active or inactive roster for at least 15 days in the season beforehand.
There are five basic options for a restricted free agent:

• Accept his team's prior qualifying offer, play out the season and become a free agent the next summer.
  • Accept his team's maximum qualifying offer (where applicable) and play under that long-term deal.
  • Negotiate a new contract with his original team that is independent of the qualifying/max qualifying offer.
  • Sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his original team has an opportunity to match.
  • Negotiate a sign-and-trade if he hasn't signed an offer sheet with another team.
  • If there is no qualifying offer, contract or offer sheet signed for one year, the original team can submit a new qualifying offer and the player will be a restricted free agent the next summer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again here the massive assumption is that they get two max free agents. That isn't guaranteed at all.

There are a limited number of top talent guys on the market and at least one of them is going to LA

The Nets aren't just going to give away an all star for free.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
And again here the massive assumption is that they get two max free agents. That isn't guaranteed at all.

There are a limited number of top talent guys on the market and at least one of them is going to LA

The Nets aren't just going to give away an all star for free.
It would be safer to keep Russel, would it not?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it for this reason, or because we are in the same boat as Broklyn. We have a cap hold with Oubre, and would likely have to renounce to sign Russell.

My question is, couldn't we sign Oubre now if we wanted, and in theory we could back end the deal. Assuming Oubre wanted to sign with us now, and take a back ended deal?

We would have to sign Russell first and go over the cap for Oubre.

Which hey I would do but it was clear today that isn't happening

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The feeling I get is James Jones will be allowed to make moves, assuming he stays within budget. That's why Gambo is saying the new PG will be with the MLE. I am thinking we have to keep our picks because rookies are cheaper. Seems like maybe we will be lucky to get an MLE PG, and maybe a couple more vets with our cap space, plus 2 rookies.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris, from your own link:

When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, he and the new team sign an offer sheet. The terms of that deal -- which must be for at least two seasons -- are given to the player's original team, which has two days to match.

I was wrong about 3 days... it's only 2 days.

And yes, if Brooklyn is going to sign 2 max free agents (and it is quite clear that they're gung hoe to try) it will involve losing Russell for nothing.

I'm not arguing with the "flagship station" about if he is coming here, but if he's not on Brooklyn they're not getting anything for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be safer to keep Russel, would it not?

Kyrie to Brooklyn seems like a near lock, so losing Russell to bring in another star for Kyrie to play with is reasonable risk.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk what to tell you. They can’t sign two max players with 46m of cap space.

They can create the cap space they need just like we can except their Kelly Oubre is an All Star

All I am asking is that we would match Oubre on most offers and he just isn't a Russell

Thus you have to believe the Nets understand Russell's value and will react accordingly

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, from your own link:

I was wrong about 3 days... it's only 2 days.

And yes, if Brooklyn is going to sign 2 max free agents (and it is quite clear that they're gung hoe to try) it will involve losing Russell for nothing.

I'm not arguing with the "flagship station" about if he is coming here, but if he's not on Brooklyn they're not getting anything for him.

Well I can't read so there

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What part of 15 days do you not understand? They can create cap space the same damn way we can while we sit and wait

It hasn't been 15 days since the early 2000's. It was shortened to one week and then shortened again to 2 days.

Link, it's #42. I highlighted the part about matching.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

Here is info on matching or first refusal

Here is notation #4...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They can create the cap space they need just like we can except their Kelly Oubre is an All Star

All I am asking is that we would match Oubre on most offers and he just isn't a Russell

Thus you have to believe the Nets understand Russell's value and will react accordingly

Yes they can create cap space by either renouncing Russell or trading everyone else on their team with no salary in return LOL.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I tried to make sense of the off season and why we don't want Russell and them matching is the only thing that made any sense

I am rapidly preparing myself for a wretched off season where I don't get anything I want for the team

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been 15 days since the early 2000's. It was shortened to one week and then shortened again to 2 days.

Link, it's #42. I highlighted the part about matching.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

Here is info on matching or first refusal

Here is notation #4...

Yeah Google lied to me. Just own it

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today I tried to make sense of the off season and why we don't want Russell and them matching is the only thing that made any sense

I am rapidly preparing myself for a wretched off season where I don't get anything I want for the team

If right away in free agency they catch wind that Durant has no interest, then maybe they're match. But I think they'd be more likely to press hard for a Jimmy Butler, Kyrie pairing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If right away in free agency they catch wind that Durant has no interest, then maybe they're match. But I think they'd be more likely to press hard for a Jimmy Butler, Kyrie pairing.

The finals and the AD trade were a disaster for us on multiple levels

Suddenly the Utah's and Denvers of the world see their window

LA is going to get another guy

The Paper Clips will get at least 1. Maybe 2

I am worried that Oubre is going to get a Tyler Johnson offer that we have to match because free agency lost 2 of the top guys to injury and probably 5 teams can win the west next year

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The finals and the AD trade were a disaster for us on multiple levels

Suddenly the Utah's and Denvers of the world see their window

LA is going to get another guy

The Paper Clips will get at least 1. Maybe 2

I am worried that Oubre is going to get a Tyler Johnson offer that we have to match because free agency lost 2 of the top guys to injury and probably 5 teams can win the west next year

The draft lotto is what hurt the most... dropping, the Lakers moving way up and getting a vastly improved trade package. Not to mention New Orleans leaping us in the "teams of the future" ladder despite losing AD.

I think if Oubre gets a big offer it won't come from one of the West's better teams but some dopes out in the reeds... Atlanta, Sacramento or something.

It's really hard to gauge his market. If he'd been the same player he is right now, but a free agent in last summer's market... he probably gets like 3 years 30 million. But with some many terribly ran franchises having space... who knows. We might keep him for 4 years 45 million... we also might lose him for double that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’ve scooted over. There’s room for you at my table. Have a seat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson