Woj: Anthony Davis to Lakers

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers fans are bemoaning the timing of the deal. According to Woj, if they wait to complete the deal until July 30th, LA will have $32.5 million in space.

If it's completed July 6th, LA will only have $27.4M which is not enough for a 35% max guy like Kawhi, Kemba, or Butler. Also they could only have $23.7M if Davis does not waive his trade kicker.

Woj has sources that the deal will be completed on July 6th because the Pelicans will have $19M in cap space instead of only $15M if they wait until July 30th.

Also, I can't see a Rich Paul client giving back money. The Lakers could only have a little over $23M to round out their roster.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lakers fans are bemoaning the timing of the deal. According to Woj, if they wait to complete the deal until July 30th, LA will have $32.5 million in space.

If it's completed July 6th, LA will only have $27.4M which is not enough for a 35% max guy like Kawhi, Kemba, or Butler. Also they could only have $23.7M if Davis does not waive his trade kicker.

Woj has sources that the deal will be completed on July 6th because the Pelicans will have $19M in cap space instead of only $15M if they wait until July 30th.

Also, I can't see a Rich Paul client giving back money. The Lakers could only have a little over $23M to round out their roster.

It will be interesting to see what they do.
I hope the pels stick it to the Lakers and Davis in whatever manner they can.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man the more details come out idk. The Pelicans can control the Lakers draft until 2025

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That is definitely significant:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Unless guys like Beverly and Redick are okay taking huge discounts the Lakers will be signing a lot of old scrubs to cheap deals.

STARTING AT PG FOR YOUR LOS ANGELES LAKERS....

Jamal Crawford!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I could see that. He and Draymond are buddies too but I got the sense he might have been closer to KD.

With Klay out and KD gone I think Boogie becomes more important to the Warriors but I'm still not of the opinion he'd be worth huge money. He has to be healthier he simply could not move in the playoffs post injury, Kyle Lowry torched him the last 2 games.
Warriors are only allowed to offer Cousins $6.2 million by league rules. The only way he comes back is if teams offer him less. I can not see him getting anything than $15 million per elsewhere.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Celtics reportedly did not make Jayson Tatum available for trade.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

The Boston Celtics refused to make Jayson Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans, league sources say, putting the Lakers in prime position to strike the deal that teams Anthony Davis with LeBron James

3:47 PM - 15 Jun 2019

Man... I think that dude is really mediocre.

I can see not wanting to give up the haul of draft picks the Lakers had to surrender, but if Boston's main hangup in a trade for a superstar player was having to give up the next Harrison Barnes... that's stupid.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can see not wanting to give up the haul of draft picks the Lakers had to surrender, but if Boston's main hangup in a trade for a superstar player was having to give up the next Harrison Barnes... that's stupid.

I think he's overrated too. He can be a number 3 on a good team, but he'll never be All-NBA level IMO.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks/hopes that the Lakers will be bad for an extended period of time from 2025 will be disappointed. They will "luck" out of it by getting handed some top level players at a serious discount or just pick up a draft pick that magically will be a top 3 pick in a great draft year. Just let it go. What we have now is hopefully the start of the end of the Warriors and we'll soon see the last of Labron, so we should just be idiots and hope Sarver puts a winning team together.

We can have some mini goals. Sign Oubre. JJ pulls his head out. Coach makes them play spirited. Ayton and Bridges shows progress. Booker and Warren (wherever he plays) are mostly injury free. Personally I'm thinking more and more of following the NFL again, but I'll probably get league pass and watch every Suns loss like always.

OT: I think the Lakers got the best of the deal. They take the wins and don't have to pay for the losses. It was great what happened with the disaster this year but I doubt Labron misses the playoffs when he shares the court with AD.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Luckily for Boston Ainge isn’t dumb enough to trade a decade of Tatum for one year of AD.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors are only allowed to offer Cousins $6.2 million by league rules. The only way he comes back is if teams offer him less. I can not see him getting anything than $15 million per elsewhere.

I guess we'll see he's going to have to be able to prove to someone he's either healthier, or will be healthier. The Boogie that appeared in the playoffs is NOT worth anything like 15 but that of course was a very quick comeback he presumably will be better.

he had no lift or lateral movement at all in the Toronto series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What’s been the typical outcome of star for packages?

Nance for KJ, West, Corbin and pick that became Majerle = fairly even for each timeline

Barkley for horny, perry, Lang = clearly suns won

Kawhi and green for derozan, Poeltl, and 1st = short term easily raptors, likely long term as well due to championship

Both the Kg and Ray Allen trades to Boston = clear wins for Celtics

Wilt for Jerry Chambers, Archie Clark, and Darrall Imhoff = clear win for lakers

Kareem for Brian Winters, Elmore Smith, Junior Bridgeman, and Dave Meyers = clear win for lakers

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I guess we'll see he's going to have to be able to prove to someone he's either healthier, or will be healthier. The Boogie that appeared in the playoffs is NOT worth anything like 15 but that of course was a very quick comeback he presumably will be better.

he had no lift or lateral movement at all in the Toronto series.
Ya I agree I don't see him getting very much money from any team, he hasn't played at a high level or even a good level for a year and a half , I see him signing another 1 year deal maybe 7-8 mil to prove he's worth another big contract

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That wouldn't have stopped me in an Anthony Davis trade either although I like Tatum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh he traded away Davis. It’s not like he did magic.

From reports Griffin didn't have any choice about trading Anthony Davis but the success of this trade will play out over a number of years.

I'm not sure if Griffin could have played it any better with the Celtics not even offering Tatum.
Of course the Lakers kept managed to keep Kuzma as well. Have to wonder what the Celtics best offer was.

If other teams were involved, I think a better trade could be made but the Lakers and Celtics apparently were the only game in town.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Pels got more picks out of the Lakers than I thought they would. You never want to trade an AD type of player, but I was amazed the number of picks they got in return.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think the Pels got more picks out of the Lakers than I thought they would. You never want to trade an AD type of player, but I was amazed the number of picks they got in return.

Those picks will be nice chips for Griffin to use down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those picks will be nice chips for Griffin to use down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They now have the biggest war chest in the NBA and they have the biggest hyped prospect since Lebron joining the team Thursday they set themselves up nice

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They now have the biggest war chest in the NBA and they have the biggest hyped prospect since Lebron joining the team Thursday they set themselves up nice

I wouldn't call that all that big of a war chest. They have the 4th pick in a weak draft next week, two future picks in the 20s and a handful of young players who are either a bust (in the case of Ball), nothing special (in the case of Hart) or in jeopardy of health ending a career before Age 23 (in the case of Ingram).

Outside of Zion Williamson, their next most valuable asset is Jrue Holiday.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that all that big of a war chest. They have the 4th pick in a weak draft next week, two future picks in the 20s and a handful of young players who are either a bust (in the case of Ball), nothing special (in the case of Hart) or in jeopardy of health ending a career before Age 23 (in the case of Ingram).

Outside of Zion Williamson, their next most valuable asset is Jrue Holiday.

Ok

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Those picks could be scratcher ticket odds for all we know but they’re nice to have in the back pocket. After the Lakers acquired Gasol they didn’t have a lotto pick for 7 years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those picks could be scratcher ticket odds for all we know but they’re nice to have in the back pocket. After the Lakers acquired Gasol they didn’t have a lotto pick for 7 years.

They also still had prime Kobe. Lebron is going to be 35 going in to his 18th season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also still had prime Kobe. Lebron is going to be 35 going in to his 18th season
And is still playing at near high levels.

However, like we saw with Kobe, the stress on the body begins to show and it’s effects can happen suddenly. I am not wishing injury on anyone, just observing how things usually go.