Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not down on White. I just can't get excited about him either. Drafting Hunter would be solid.
I would be down if we get Hunter. Then follow that with another big at 32. However, out of the PGs around #6 I l do like White. I want PF or PG at 6. Going SF or SG rumors, it's like we are just running in place.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be down if we get Hunter. Then follow that with another big at 32. However, out of the PGs around #6 I l do like White. I want PF or PG at 6. Going SF or SG rumors, it's like we are just running in place.

It does get frustrating.

I had trouble being high on Hunter until I considered him as a power forward. In the same token, I have to look at some of the shooting guards as combo guards.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m in the trade it camp but if we keep it I want Cam Reddish that’s just to much upside in a weak draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not down on White. I just can't get excited about him either. Drafting Hunter would be solid.

I could get excited about drafting White but I'd be more than a little worried too. He really does have some star quality but so did Brandon Knight. I'm not saying he'll be another Knight, I'm just worried we may not know for sure until long after we've drafted him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could do worse than looking at Kentucky players in this draft such as P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get excited about drafting White but I'd be more than a little worried too. He really does have some star quality but so did Brandon Knight. I'm not saying he'll be another Knight, I'm just worried we may not know for sure until long after we've drafted him.

I understand the Knight comparison but I think it's more about motivation which White seems to have.

Knight is a talented player so I wouldn't let the comparison stand in the way. It's just I get excited when I expand my horizon in this draft. I hope the Suns do not get myopic about the players projected to go early and look at players that are projected to be drafted later. Alexander-Walker is a great example.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns could do worse than looking at Kentucky players in this draft such as P.J. Washington, Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson.

If the Suns want a power forward in the first round, and Hunter is gone, Washington is actually my next choice.

Herro and Johnson don't fill needs for us, in my opinion, though in Herro's case I guess you can't have too much shooting.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If PHX doesn't take a PF in Round 1 then I like Dedric Lawson in Round 2. He could be the next Kyle Kuzma success story for upperclassmen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns want a power forward in the first round, and Hunter is gone, Washington is actually my next choice.

Herro and Johnson don't fill needs for us, in my opinion, though in Herro's case I guess you can't have too much shooting.

I was mostly referring to the NBA talent Kentucky produces.

P.J. Washington should probably be getting more consideration from the mocks and hopefully the Suns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was mostly referring to the NBA talent Kentucky produces.

P.J. Washington should probably be getting more consideration from the mocks and hopefully the Suns.

The Suns have had a very mixed history with Kentucky players.

On the positive side, we have been blessed with Kyle Macy, Rex Chapman, Devin Booker and Eric Bledsoe.

On the negative side, we have been cursed with Brandon Knight, Archie Goodwin, Tyler Ulis and...Eric Bledsoe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If PHX doesn't take a PF in Round 1 then I like Dedric Lawson in Round 2. He could be the next Kyle Kuzma success story for upperclassmen.

Lawson's rebounding stats scream out that he should be drafted. And what's not to like with a 7'2.25" wingspan.

It's much the way Ceballos college rebounding stats said he should be drafted even though he was 6'6".

In no way am I comparing the two players other than the stats tell a story.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lawson's rebounding stats scream out that he should be drafted. And what's not to like with a 7'2.25" wingspan.

It's much the way Ceballos college rebounding stats said he should be drafted even though he was 6'6".

In no way am I comparing the two players other than the stats tell a story.

He will likely go undrafted, at which point I wouldn't mind the Suns taking a flyer on him as an undrafted rookie free agent to be one of our developmental bigs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On the positive side, we have been blessed with Kyle Macy, Rex Chapman, Devin Booker and Eric Bledsoe.

On the negative side, we have been cursed with Brandon Knight, Archie Goodwin, Tyler Ulis and...Eric Bledsoe.

No school is going to produce all impact players but Kentucky has produced their share of quality players.

I think in theory, Knight should have been a better player. Bledsoe was solid. Archie and Ulis were drafted late.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will likely go undrafted, at which point I wouldn't mind the Suns taking a flyer on him as an undrafted rookie free agent to be one of our developmental bigs.

This will prove to be a very deep draft if Lawson goes undrafted.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I wouldn't say Bledsoe was a bust at least skills and production wise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No way would I put Goodwin, Ulis or Bledsoe in the "cursed" category. I know why you put Eric in both categories but we got more out of him than we gave up for him so I'd put him in a neutral group at worst. And anybody that has high expectations for someone drafted 29th or in the 2nd round simply has unrealistic expectations. So all told I'd say we've had pretty good fortune with Kentucky draftees.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No way would I put Goodwin, Ulis or Bledsoe in the "cursed" category. I know why you put Eric in both categories but we got more out of him than we gave up for him so I'd put him in a neutral group at worst. And anybody that has high expectations for someone drafted 29th or in the 2nd round simply has unrealistic expectations. So all told I'd say we've had pretty good fortune with Kentucky draftees.

Regarding Ulis, we passed on Brogdon, who went two picks later.

Regarding Goodwin, Gobert went two picks ahead, and Roberson went three picks ahead, so that was more about what could have been.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding Ulis, we passed on Brogdon, who went two picks later.

Regarding Goodwin, Gobert went two picks ahead, and Roberson went three picks ahead, so that was more about what could have been.

I notice you ignored all the players that went before either Goodwin or Ulis that gave their teams even less than Archie and Tyler gave us. And we'll never know whether we blew it with Brogdon or if he succeeded because of where he went, or even if Ulis failed because of where he went.

Regardless, there's just no way to justify saying we were cursed by those selections IMO.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I notice you ignored all the players that went before either Goodwin or Ulis that gave their teams even less than Archie and Tyler gave us. And we'll never know whether we blew it with Brogdon or if he succeeded because of where he went, or even if Ulis failed because of where he went.

Regardless, there's just no way to justify saying we were cursed by those selections IMO.

Ulis has already failed with two other franchises, including one one of the best in the league and one that is desperate for depth at point guard. Meanwhile, Brogdon is widely considered to be just what we are seeking opposite Booker. I don't know how you could see that as anything but a curse.

Goodwin is a closer call, but from my point of view, he was a negative, since he was a first round pick who didn't even make it to the end of his rookie contract. The existence of other busts doesn't make Goodwin less of a bust, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ulis has already failed with two other franchises, including one one of the best in the league and one that is desperate for depth at point guard. Meanwhile, Brogdon is widely considered to be just what we are seeking opposite Booker. I don't know how you could see that as anything but a curse.

Goodwin is a closer call, but from my point of view, he was a negative, since he was a first round pick who didn't even make it to the end of his rookie contract. The existence of other busts doesn't make Goodwin less of a bust, in my opinion.

That floors me. Ulis played at least to his draft position, how in the world is that a "curse". And most picks in the 20's fail to see a second contract.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That floors me. Ulis played at least to his draft position, how in the world is that a "curse". And most picks in the 20's fail to see a second contract.

If the Suns weren't in such desperate need of a Malcolm Brogdon type, I would probably see Ulis as just another second round flyer who typically didn't pan out. The problem is that the Suns are in such need of a Malcom Brogdon type, and this isn't merely hindsight. The debate when the pick was made was Brogdon or Ulis.

Meanwhile, how many picks in the 20s get cut before the end of their rookie deal from a team quite bereft of NBA talent?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to complain about late 1st/2nd rd picks. For example look at an excellent drafting team like San Antonio who acquired Kawhi on draft day but didn’t really hit on anything for a 5-6 year stretch until the Dejounte Murray pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave