2019 Free Agency

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD’s injury has a huge trickle down effect for free agency. I think he is more likely to stay with the Warriors now. He won’t play for a year, so who makes an investment if not the Warriors. The Lakers cannot afford to lose a year.

The Nets and Knicks will both sign him in a heart beat. They're desperate for a star, he could me missing a limb and they'd probably toss him a max deal. I don't really think this changes Durants market at all. Only thing it changes for the teams chasing Durant is the pressure to sign another star this summer. The Knicks could sign him and sit on their space and spend another year in the cellar, blow cap space next year and try to get lucky in the lotto.

Klay on the other hand, I think this almost locks up that he stays.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The most recent known attempts at "hand shake" deals, both back fired terribly for their teams.

The Wolves signed Joe Smith to an under valued contract with the agreement to pay him way more the next year. The league got wind of it, voided the contract and took like 4 1st round picks away from the Wolves.

The other I can remember is, back when 2nd round picks had screwed up RFA clauses, the Cavs made a deal with Carlos Boozer that they'd release him from his contract early so they could resign him while they had the space, they did and he went and signed a big fat contract with the Jazz.
The problem with the Joe Smith “hand shake” deal is there wasn’t just a handshake. There was an actual paper trail, which is why they got penalized so severe. Instead of a wink and a nod, they put pen to paper which was beyond stupid.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Nets and Knicks will both sign him in a heart beat. They're desperate for a star, he could me missing a limb and they'd probably toss him a max deal. I don't really think this changes Durants market at all. Only thing it changes for the teams chasing Durant is the pressure to sign another star this summer. The Knicks could sign him and sit on their space and spend another year in the cellar, blow cap space next year and try to get lucky in the lotto.

Klay on the other hand, I think this almost locks up that he stays.

I really hope Klay does stay. The rest of it is really murky though, with lots of contenders and moving pieces. It’ll be an exciting offseason.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do the Celtics gamble as the Raptors did? A bunch of things had to happen for the Raptors from the trade to the championship, but do the Celtics follow suit with AD?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Left to be seen what Kawhi decides to do, but in addition to a max contract with the Raptor's two points: tax rates in Cali, NY and Ontario, Canada are essentially the same and given that he's paid in US. dollars, he has a 25% bonus on his living expenses in Canada.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

More conjecture from SB Nation writer Oleh Kosel

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
. Denver is one of the best cities in the country for quality of life.
I have relatives that live there. I am thinking young guy in AD. He picked two places he preferred that are known for their night life and urban appeal. That's not Denver. Reno is a lot like Denver. More urban in a way with their underrated music scene. I can't see any pro athletes wanting to settle in Reno. If you actually want to live in NY, then Denvers not your kind of town. (little music nod there)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis was always going to the Lakers

Remember 2 episodes before the finale of game of thrones and the person NO ONE was saying would sit on the throne suddenly became the favorite? Two weeks later that dude wins

A week ago the Lakers were the favorite to win the title in Vegas

Vegas knows all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can just sign him , a vet PG like Beverly or someone not named Rubio and then BPA in the draft this team will have had a successful off-season

The Suns still need to keep Oubre. There is only so much money available.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns still need to keep Oubre. There is only so much money available.

They can go over the cap to do that. I know he has a cap hold which limits things. Right now we should only view him as his $9.6 million cap hold.

I was wondering whether the Suns could backload his deal, like Tyler Johnson's. That would free up more space now and while it will limit them in the future, so will stretching Tyler's contract because that's $5-6 million of dead money on the books for 3 years. I'll check out the CBA-FAQ for info on that. Another team could, which might be in our best interest right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can go over the cap to do that. I know he has a cap hold which limits things. Right now we should only view him as his $9.6 million cap hold.

I was wondering whether the Suns could backload his deal, like Tyler Johnson's. That would free up more space now and while it will limit them in the future, so will stretching Tyler's contract because that's $5-6 million of dead money on the books for 3 years. I'll check out the CBA-FAQ for info on that. Another team could, which might be in our best interest right now.

I'd really like to keep Tyler not only for his depth at the two guard positions but his expiring contract will be an asset next summer. I guess if the Suns can improve their roster waiving and stretching is an option.

Back loading Oubre's contract is a possibility but I don't recall the Suns being a fan of this in recent memory.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd really like to keep Tyler not only for his depth at the two guard positions but his expiring contract will be an asset next summer. I guess if the Suns can improve their roster waiving and stretching is an option.

Back loading Oubre's contract is a possibility but I don't recall the Suns being a fan of this in recent memory.

Wasn't Bledsoe's somewhat back loaded?