2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teh wildcard in all this is I would not be at all surprised if Steve Kerr retires. He's had so many injury issues himself and 5 years of this much work he might just step aside. That would be interesting would they promote Mike Brown, give Jarron Collins the job etc

The Klay situation really changes things the best case scenario would be him ready to start playing in the playoffs next year and with no Klay and no KD, the playoffs wouldn't be a given.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teh wildcard in all this is I would not be at all surprised if Steve Kerr retires. He's had so many injury issues himself and 5 years of this much work he might just step aside. That would be interesting would they promote Mike Brown, give Jarron Collins the job etc

The Klay situation really changes things the best case scenario would be him ready to start playing in the playoffs next year and with no Klay and no KD, the playoffs wouldn't be a given.
You do not retire at his age.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How is his back doing? Wasn’t Kerr’s back giving him problems a couple years ago?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a finals. Kahwi is a beast, i truly wonder the condition of his legs. Looks like he has slowed down a bit and the elevation/explosiveness isn't there BUT he's still the best complete player in the league. I'm not sure if it's just fatigue or not.

Sucks to see Klay go down like that but stuff happens.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is his back doing? Wasn’t Kerr’s back giving him problems a couple years ago?

I've heard it's better but still bothers him which is why I bring it up. He's 2 months younger than me so 53, 54 in Sept for him. So yeah it would be a young retirement but I could see him doing something else less stressful. Broadcasting, hell it would not surprise me if just did some public speaking or even some politics at a certain level. I'm just speculating but I know it was something that was commonly tossed out there a couple of years ago his back was a real issue and there were lots of plans in place in case he just couldn't take it anymore.

The claim is this year was the best he's been in several, remember he had a spinal fluid leak after the back surgery it was a MAJOR deal. I could see him look at it and say it's been an epic 5 year run, I want to be able to walk when I'm 60 I need something less stressful.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Major bummer for Thompson. The Warriors are pretty annoying as a group, but Thompson is one of the classy ones. It sucks for this to happen to him.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a lot of Raptors fan friends and am pretty thrilled for them. They’ve had such frustrated expectations for the Leafs and Jays that this is a crazy surprise. It’s also a nice because the Raptors appeal to the diversity of the city in a way the Leafs and Jays do not. There are a lot of fans who care much more about the Raptors and TFC.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Thompson fall, I thought he couldn't leave the court? I saw he went to the tunnel, the feed cut out for a commercial, then my stupid Roku made me miss what happened, next thing you know I see him shooting FT's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Thompson fall, I thought he couldn't leave the court? I saw he went to the tunnel, the feed cut out for a commercial, then my stupid Roku made me miss what happened, next thing you know I see him shooting FT's.

You can't return to the game if you can't take your free throws and I guess they didn't know how severe it was at the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of Raptors fan friends and am pretty thrilled for them. They’ve had such frustrated expectations for the Leafs and Jays that this is a crazy surprise. It’s also a nice because the Raptors appeal to the diversity of the city in a way the Leafs and Jays do not. There are a lot of fans who care much more about the Raptors and TFC.

We have a guy who posts on the UCLA basketball board I read and a few years ago he said the Raptors were on the verge of being really good and lots of Lakers fans on the board said he was clueless. So every year they'd get close but not make it and those fans would all say see told you so. Now they're all bashing the Warriors and not admitting the guy was right about the Raptors.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't return to the game if you can't take your free throws and I guess they didn't know how severe it was at the time.

I get that part but i thought he couldn't leave the court? Was there a timeout called or charged?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was still trying to get back in after that. He told kerr he needed 2 minutes. ACL's are a lateral thing you can walk, you can run, he was even jumping, but you have no lateral stability and could tear much worse if you tried to play. Once they figured that out they put him on crutches.

An aside, it got lost because he got hurt but when it happened live I thought it was a goaltend because Green made contact with the rim on the follow through. Watched it a few times now I don't think it was, it was very close but I think it probably wasn't.

I'm still amazed they missed the offensive interference by Draymond it seemed so obvious live.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was still trying to get back in after that. He told kerr he needed 2 minutes. ACL's are a lateral thing you can walk, you can run, he was even jumping, but you have no lateral stability and could tear much worse if you tried to play. Once they figured that out they put him on crutches.

An aside, it got lost because he got hurt but when it happened live I thought it was a goaltend because Green made contact with the rim on the follow through. Watched it a few times now I don't think it was, it was very close but I think it probably wasn't.

I'm still amazed they missed the offensive interference by Draymond it seemed so obvious live.

C'mon live... you can't' even see that. Its a block and no foul, 1:32 on the video

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon live... you can't' even see that. Its a block and no foul, 1:32 on the video

the fact that Green didn't argue at all and immediately went over to Klay tells you he fouled him. The reason I thought it was a goaltend live is the reaction of the rim and net but if you look at the clip you posted it shows what I saw later too. I think Klay actually hit the net first and then Green did. So the movement I thought was Green hitting the net and rim first was actually Klay. Which is why I said after looking at the replay I don't think it's a goaltend. I can't see them calling it for Green hitting the net because the rim had already moved from when Klay hit the net.

I think it's clearly a foul.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/toronto-raptors-masai-ujiri-113207090.html

Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri pushed and struck a sheriff’s deputy while attempting to reach the court to celebrate his team’s NBA championship on Thursday in Oakland, California, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

An altercation began when Ujiri was blocked from the floor by a deputy after the Raptors defeated the Golden State Warriors in Game 6, the sheriff’s office told HuffPost.

Ujiri carried no valid credential for the venue, and a strict security policy was in place, sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Kelly said. Ujiri tried to push his way past the deputy, the deputy shoved back and Ujiri allegedly responded with another shove that struck the officer in the face, Kelly said.
. Crazy...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted. It's tough news for the Warriors, but not something that was unexpected.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow feel asleep before gm finished was sooo expecting to wake up and see gm 7 but what a feeling to see Raptors won the championship always good to have a new king!

I must say I think leonard put himself in the same group as kobe lebron especially for being picked 15th!

Gj Raptors enjoy your championship! You amazed everyone

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted. It's tough news for the Warriors, but not something that was unexpected.

You never know, maybe the Warriors end up with a good pick in the lottery, Spurs-style. And then have at least a healthy Steph and Klay, plus a rookie contract as part of their core.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never know, maybe the Warriors end up with a good pick in the lottery, Spurs-style. And then have at least a healthy Steph and Klay, plus a rookie contract as part of their core.

I will never discount what the Warriors can do as long as they have Curry.

I'm thinking they will be back in the playoffs next season and be dangerous. They will still attract free agents. It's trickier building through the draft anymore.

Another important thing, the Warriors have a commitment to winning.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I will never discount what the Warriors can do as long as they have Curry.

I'm thinking they will be back in the playoffs next season and be dangerous. They will still attract free agents. It's trickier building through the draft anymore.

Another important thing is the Warriors have a commitment to winning.
Arguably, they were hanging in there with the world champs with a decimated lineup that whole second half. They are arguably in better shape as a squad than us right now. I am not crying for them!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have a guy who posts on the UCLA basketball board I read and a few years ago he said the Raptors were on the verge of being really good and lots of Lakers fans on the board said he was clueless. So every year they'd get close but not make it and those fans would all say see told you so. Now they're all bashing the Warriors and not admitting the guy was right about the Raptors.
To be fair a free years ago they weren’t really close. It was the huge gambles they made this year coupled with big injuries to the warriors that resulted in the championship. A few years ago there was no Kawhi (or green ride-a-long) in sight. And they wouldn’t have gone all-in and traded for Gasol absent the Kawhi trade. That’s three starters that were acquired in this pay offseason or midseason.