What is the plan?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Actually his cap hit could change. He has a player option for next season so talking extension with the front office could get him to opt out of his deal and sign a new contract that lowers his salary this coming season. He's on the books for about $19.5 million this next season right now but if he opts out and resigns a 4 year $40 million dollar deal then his cap hit will be cut in half.

The reason that is possible has to do with his player option so it's a scenario that makes sense to explore.

True but I’m just not seeing him opt out. I don’t think it makes sense for either side.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If randle or Russell is available, yes. Maybe even if it just means getting Beverley and Thad young.

Obviously if we strike out in free agency it would not be a good idea. But we supposedly know randle has interest.

We better know we will get our guy in free agency this year, that we need the cap space to get him, that we have no other viable alternative to get that cap space, and that we will not need another free agent for more than the MLE for the foreseeable future, and we better have a real point guard lined up so we aren't forced to start Johnson by default while using his exorbitant salary to justify the starting slot, before we even think about risking this.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
True but I’m just not seeing him opt out. I don’t think it makes sense for either side.

It makes sense from Johnson's perspective. It's the only way Johnson makes more than the league minimum, if he isn't out of the league entirely, after next season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Culver is 6'5 or 6'6". Jackson is 6'8".

And while he has been a horrible finisher of late, Jackson has a far quicker and superior first step to Culver.

IF he can get his head on straight (and that remains a big if), Jackson can fill the slasher role at the 3.

Culver really doesn't have much to offer at the NBA level. His ceiling is a smaller Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (while Jackson's ceiling remains Scottie Pippen or Kawhi Leonard). We need much more than a smaller RHJ.

when JJ adds SIX INCHES to his wingspan, than you can start comparing his ceiling to guys who not only have that on him. Considering that's NEVER going to happen unless Jackson falls in toxic waste and grows into Joshzilla, you can stop using that ceiling argument for him.

Both Scottie and Kawhi's 7'3 wingspan on top of their athleticism is what helped made them be superstars. That length, plus quicks and hops enabled them to guard pretty much anyone 1-4, AND their shot off against anyone, 1-5... neither of which Jackson and 6'9 wingspan and small hands can do.

The ceiling for him right now is more Iggy... and even Iggy had two inches more in his wingspan that made him a good jack of all trades, but still never a superstar or anything even close to approaching all-timers like Pippen and Leonard.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It makes sense from Johnson's perspective. It's the only way Johnson makes more than the league minimum, if he isn't out of the league entirely, after next season.
This is laughable. We get it though. You don’t like Johnson. Are you really going to go all broken record on every page of every thread? Johnson sucks and Culver sucks. We get it.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Just realize that if he is extended, he becomes untradable, and instead of being stuck paying him $19 million for one year, the Suns are stuck paying him $40-50 million over four years. Warren was supposed to be tradeable at $14 million per season, and Johnson's expiring deal was supposed to be tradeable, and yet here we are.

Do you really want to compound this problem?
It wouldn't make him untradable , and we are most likely stuck with him atleast another year so might as well make it so we can actually sign other players and improve the roster, he's not a hindrance to the team, he's just not a starter, the extension idea makes his contract alot more team friendly

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So tyler has a player option for the 20-21 year?

No for 19-20, and he must pick it up by the 16th.

If they were not talking an extension, you would have thought he would have picked it up immediately, but he still hasn't.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No for 19-20, and he must pick it up by the 16th.

If they were not talking an extension, you would have thought he would have picked it up immediately, but he still hasn't.
No way he does NOT pick that up. No one is offering more for that year, unless like you said, he is being told he will be extended. I have seen in the past where players, for whatever reason, being on vacation, etc, seem to wait until the last minute to pick up their options. I know a lot of older players always joke they would pick that option up the minute it's available!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No way he does NOT pick that up. No one is offering more for that year, unless like you said, he is being told he will be extended. I have seen in the past where players, for whatever reason, being on vacation, etc, seem to wait until the last minute to pick up their options. I know a lot of older players always joke they would pick that option up the minute it's available!

I'd laugh if a player fudged around til the last minute and, for whatever reason, they missed the deadline.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd laugh if a player ****** around til the last minute and, for whatever reason, they missed the deadline.

Something like that has happened at least once before but the particulars escape me (maybe a decade ago or so?). The agent failed to do something by a specific date and it cost the player quite a bit. I'm so brain dead right now I can't even think of what sport it was. Anyway, my point is, it really could happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd laugh if a player ****** around til the last minute and, for whatever reason, they missed the deadline.
I know. Us old school guys can hear our fathers saying, "What the Hell are ayou waiting for?" I watched a show with a young guy and the interviewers were asking him if he was going to pick up his option. He was all casual, like, "Yeah. I think my agent and I are going to do it after vacation." The interviewers were ex-players who never made a lot, and they were like me, "What if you get hurt? What if something happens? Why wait?" LOL.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Something like that has happened at least once before but the particulars escape me (maybe a decade ago or so?). The agent failed to do something by a specific date and it cost the player quite a bit. I'm so brain dead right now I can't even think of what sport it was. Anyway, my point is, it really could happen.

I think something like this happened to Elvis Dumervil in the NFL.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
poo! I remember that, too. But not particulars. I think an agent forget to do paperwork for a player and it cost him about half his salary if I remember right. I just can't think of what player! LOL!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Oubre resigned?

If so I hope they keep the first year near the cap hold.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I remember it happening to someone else, I read about it not all that long ago. However here is a story on it happening with Anthony Carter, former Heat player. His agent's office messed up and didn't file for his option and it cost him a lot of money. That happened closer to 2000. The agent apparently made it right with him.

http://static.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1577692.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means if anything.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if Oubre was re-signing with the Suns as the above tweet suggests.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It may very well refer to a deal, but I’d be extremely surprised if Oubre doesn’t test the market. Hell, Tyler Johnson hasn’t even exercised his free option of $19m. There’s all sorts of weird stuff going on.

Strange offseason for the Suns so far.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are quite a few big names that haven't done anything regard their player options, we should see a lot of decisions made once the playoffs are over.