2019 4th round pick is Hakeem Butler WR

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This is the pick I am most excited about. I wanted OL, but none left had the ability to change a game like Butler does. Whether or not he develops is on him, but the talent is there. This is why I don't love WRs in round 1. There are so many guys playing WR anymore that you can find really good ones in rounds 3-5 almost every year if you have a good offense.
I totally agree.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure if this was already mentioned but aside from working out with Calvin Johnson Butler was also working with Anquan Boldin in preparation for the draft. I hope he was a sponge during those workouts.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just watching draft recap re-run and Del Río picked him as sleeper of the draft.... fwiw

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/playmaker-score-2019

Hakeem Butler would be Playmaker's favorite prospect in this year's draft if you removed the projected draft position factor. Butler is similar to the two Browns and Arcega-Whiteside on all of Playmaker's metrics but one: yards per team attempt. As a junior, Butler had the exact same yardage totals as Brown (1,318), but the Cyclones only passed 363 times as opposed to the Sooners' 401. Butler's 3.63 yards per team attempt is the best of any underclassman wide receiver in this class.

You could actually make a contrarian case for selecting Butler over Marquise Brown. Both players played in the Big 12, so they had relatively equal levels of competition. Brown had the benefit of catching passes from Kyler Murray, who is considered the best quarterback in this year's draft. Butler's situation was not quite as good. The quarterbacking at Iowa State was competent, but also consisted of a rotating cast, which included ten games from freshman Brock Purdy. Butler also has good size at 6-foot-5 and 227 pounds and ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, which is by no means slow for his size (Brown has not yet run a 40-yard dash).

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Seriously in love with almost every pick.

After watching the kid dominate OU, I couldn't believe he was still there in the 4th. I was shocked.

And we did pretty well in FA too. Plugged some holes at CB and LB (maybe OL).

I think, (I think!), Keim is re-energized.

He got to the edge of the abyss, had a look, and decided he's not ready to go, at least not yet.

The Cardinals will benefit until (if) he relapses.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The crazy thing with these rookies, if they all live up to potential and are productive NFL players, it is almost going to push larry out the door. Otherwise, we could have starting quality WRs as healthy scratches on gameday.

I honestly expect one of the three to make it.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
PFF shares dynamic numbers for Cardinals rookie wide receiver Hakeem Butler
Arizona Cardinals fourth-round selection Hakeem Butler has been knocked for his all-around receiver abilities, but there is one area where he is elite, on the deep ball.

According to Pro Football Focus, Butler had 19 explosive plays on deep targets during his time with the Cyclones, which was the most in the 2019 wide receiver class.

This type of deep threat receiver is a must in coach Kliff Kingsbury’s high flying offense and his 4.48 40-yard dash speed should allow him to blow by secondaries, even in the NFL. The rest of Butler’s game is very raw and it’s probably not likely that he is going to be ready to go right away during his rookie year, but a few years down the road he could be one of the steals of this draft.
https://clutchpoints.com/cardinals-...mbers-for-rookie-wide-receiver-hakeem-butler/

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the sign he would have on himself is enter at your own risk.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like this is a very, very underrated pick. I can't completely put my finger on why. Maybe it will be personality, leadership or performance. Maybe it will be all of the above. My instinct tells me we are overlooking this pick with everything else going on.

But my instinct also made me an Arizona sports fan sooooooo

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If he turns out to be good..... Like real good...... I think he may have a bit of Antonio Brown in him. Attitude wise that is.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Like his attitude too. Hard not to root for this kid when you know what he's been through.

All that size, athleticism and production, yet he is a tough prospect to predict. His forte is catching contested balls, yet his weakness are drops. He will outmuscle just about any DB there is, gets high marks for his footwork at that size. Yet his route running is deemed poor.

Is he another Agudosi, or an one-trick deep threat like Malcom Floyd, or a legit #1 WR of the future in the mold of AJ Green?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From rotoworld.com

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com projects Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella as the team's top three wideouts.
So essentially Urban expects Isabella to start over fellow rookie Hakeem Butler. In fact, Urban made no mention of Butler, suggesting he could be as low as sixth on the team's receiving depth chart behind Kevin White and Damiere Byrd. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but from the looks of it, Butler has some serious ground to make up if he wants to make a year-one impact.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That Butler is further down the depth chart shouldn't come as a surprise. He is a raw prospect that needs development time, which is why I expect Johnson to be higher on the depth chart as well--at least this season. Johnson is the more refined WR prospect but he has nowhere near Butlers physical measurables and traits.

Butler is a guy who I expect will make a big jump in year 2 with a full year as a pro under his belt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave