Reaction score
OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“It sounds like Marleau and the Leafs are set to part ways,” said Nick Kypreos during the ‘Headlines’ segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. “The family is going to move back to San Jose. Patrick Marleau has made it clear to the Toronto Maple Leafs that he’d like to get closer to his family once again, which means moving to the west coast area.”
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marleau is (was) a hell of a player but I don't know how he would fit in with the youth of the team. How much does he have in the tank - maybe 1 or 2 years? I'd hate to see what we would give up for diminishing returns.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marleau is (was) a hell of a player but I don't know how he would fit in with the youth of the team. How much does he have in the tank - maybe 1 or 2 years? I'd hate to see what we would give up for diminishing returns.
He would be a one year rental for us.
2020 Marleau is a UFA.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
As a sharks fan I hated to see him go and don't think he really wanted to leave..... But Toronto offered a contract much larger than SJ could match our he could turn down ..... Plus he's Canadian and it is Toronto

He played alright there. Still has experience, still can skate well (although not at his earlier level).

Would be interesting as he's a pro, had played well on pp/pk over his years and can play down the lines

If the cost was right I think it would be a benefit, but wouldn't give up much for the year

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
M.O.'s exactly right. His experience would be helpful and could add some stability and poise down the middle. He has a great reputation as a pro that plays the right way. Would be a very good influence in the room. But, he's definitely not worth a bunch of prospects. If Toronto is looking to shed some salary, our low cap makes us a good option for them and helps us get over the floor.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Another Sharks fan here. Marleau is a great guy and was a very underrated player. I had hoped he would have been a career Shark but he got a contract offer he couldn’t refuse and frankly was an overpayment on his current play. The Leafs were looking for a veteran presence but now they need to dump him in order to pay Marner.

He’s lost a step but he’s still a solid player, though not worth his current contract.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yep and PH is exactly right, it needs to be treated as a contract shave

The coyotes can absorb the deal for a year without it hurting them, but you don't give up a lot for the privilege

One last bit about his background is he pretty much played as an 18 year old rookie a full NHL season and then followed it up with a 20 goal season as a 19 year old

His first 3 seasons the team kind of played like the coyotes the past couple.

It wasn't until his 4th year they broke into the playoffs and broke 90 points on a team that was a weird mix of young players and older players

He's lived what a lot of these players are experiencing

Last edited: