Will Kingsbury be a good game manager?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cards under Kingsbury will have a much better offense and improve their overall record. It can’t get any worse. However my biggest concern on KK is how good of a game manager will he be? He can delegate the defense to Vance Joseph and get assistance from his other coaches but the key decisions during the game are his. They happen in real time mode. ( i.e. throwing out the red flag on calls, deciding when to take a time out, going for it on fourth down). These decisions can decide a game. A good game manger must also understand the NFL rule book. I think that BA was a good game manager, he and his staff were wired to quick responses for decisions during the game. On the other hand, Jason Garrett, Cowboys HC, is said to be a horrible game manger; not knowing when to call time outs, etc. There is no learning curve on this, KK must be on top of this at the very first game. IMO this can make or break the Cards season and him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bruce Arians and Bill Belicheck are some of the greatest game-day coaches the NFL has ever seen.

Andy Reid and John Harbaugh are two guys who are easily distracted and/or make emotional decisions on game days that negatively impact their teams' ability to win games.

Game management only comes into play when games are close. The idea is that the offense will place so much pressure on opponents that it will force them to make mistakes. In the same way, the Patriots are designed to grind down opponents until they start making mistakes.

People who watch the Big 12 say that Kingsbury was not a good game manager, and it played a role in him losing his job. Hopefully he'll have people in his ear who can help him overcome this challenge.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I'd take Reid and Harbaugh over BA. Most of their mistakes that looked bad in hindsight weren't really bad in a vacuum. We are talking about 2 of the longest tenured and most respected coaches in the NFL. Next tier after the GOAT BB imo.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bruce Arians and Bill Belicheck are some of the greatest game-day coaches the NFL has ever seen.

Andy Reid and John Harbaugh are two guys who are easily distracted and/or make emotional decisions on game days that negatively impact their teams' ability to win games.

Game management only comes into play when games are close. The idea is that the offense will place so much pressure on opponents that it will force them to make mistakes. In the same way, the Patriots are designed to grind down opponents until they start making mistakes.

People who watch the Big 12 say that Kingsbury was not a good game manager, and it played a role in him losing his job. Hopefully he'll have people in his ear who can help him overcome this challenge.

That is my concern as he seem to have a very "laid back" personality but that is just an observation from quite the distance. I just hope, as you mentioned, that he has good people around helping him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd take Reid and Harbaugh over BA. Most of their mistakes that looked bad in hindsight weren't really bad in a vacuum. We are talking about 2 of the longest tenured and most respected coaches in the NFL. Next tier after the GOAT BB imo.

I would, too, as my head coach. But you have to live with dumb brain farts from both of those guys. Harbaugh was so stymied by Belicheck's understanding of the rule book that he snitched to Goddell and started Deflategate. Andy Reid is 13-15 in games decided by 7 points or less over the last three seasons (including playoffs).

As I've said many times, for all of BA's many, many faults, he was an absolute wizard in the 4th quarter when the game was close. He won something like 70% of his one-score games, including with players like Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton under center.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Reid has a long history of brain farts at critical moments.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Where I worry is that Kingsbury will be very predictable with a rookie QB at the helm. I also worry that he will play to a scheme vs adjusting to matchups. That being said, you can state that concern for most first-time NFL head coaches.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Half time adjustments are what I will be looking for, adapting as the game goes on is a biggie

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My worry is that some of these guys who are extremely offense-minded don’t trust the defense. They go on 4th down rather than depending on the D to get the hall back. Hopefully KK will trust the entire team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My worry is that some of these guys who are extremely offense-minded don’t trust the defense. They go on 4th down rather than depending on the D to get the hall back. Hopefully KK will trust the entire team.

They should go for it on 4th down, based on the statistics.

There isn't much evidence for your premise, though. The team who went for it on 4th down the most last year did so once more every other game than the median team, according to ESPN.com's numbers: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownAttempts

That coach? Vance Joseph. Four of the top seven most-frequent fourth-down goers had non-offensive head coaches. KC and the Rams were T20th in the NFL in times going for it.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kingsbury at Texas Tech left a lot to be desired in game management... but then again, he was up against the eight ball trying to score points to buffer his defense which lacked talent to compete which his offense made possible

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where I worry is that Kingsbury will be very predictable with a rookie QB at the helm. I also worry that he will play to a scheme vs adjusting to matchups. That being said, you can state that concern for most first-time NFL head coaches.
If you meant "playing to a scheme" as in the air raid offense & nothing else, judging by the players comments so far, that isn't the case. They have been saying in interviews after OTA's that KK is adapting his air raid offense to more of an NFL one, saying it's gonna be a good one. When KK has been asked by reporters what kind of offense he is going to run, he keeps saying alot of it will depend on matchups & change week to week. We shall see but with him being surrounded by NFL coaches on his staff, one would hope he learns rather quickly when to call timeouts & not make the same mistakes twice?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Belicheck does that too . . .

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Andy Reid is one of the worst game managers that I can remember, but he was still a Dee Ford penalty away from the Super Bowl last season. Put points on the board and hire a veteran staff around him. Managing tempo is not my concern with Kliff. I am concerned that things could go south if Murray doesn’t play well early (or gets injured). We will know by week 10

Harry

Reaction score
They should go for it on 4th down, based on the statistics.

There isn't much evidence for your premise, though. The team who went for it on 4th down the most last year did so once more every other game than the median team, according to ESPN.com's numbers: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownAttempts

That coach? Vance Joseph. Four of the top seven most-frequent fourth-down goers had non-offensive head coaches. KC and the Rams were T20th in the NFL in times going for it.

You’re talking correlation not causality. Of the top 9 teams, only 2 made the playoffs. Losing teams will likely go on fourth more often.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You’re talking correlation not causality. Of the top 9 teams, only 2 made the playoffs. Losing teams will likely go on fourth more often.

Going for it on fourth down with more than a yard to go should be relegated to the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter and John Madden football on XBox

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Philly, Dallas, and Baltimore all made the playoffs. :shrug:

Harry

Reaction score
Philly, Dallas, and Baltimore all made the playoffs. :shrug:
You’re right I actually missed on both counts it was 3 teams in the playoffs. The other thing I got wrong was it was actually 3 of the bottom 17 teams. Statistically instead of 78% being basically losers 83% were. I counted badly but at least my observation is now more accurate.