What is the plan?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bleacher Report has their take on the Suns plan out today:

Draft: De'Andre Hunter, four position big that can shoot the three. They aren't sold on Garland or White, but weigh in that White is the better option.

Free Agency: Patrick Beverly, great defense, 44% of his offense is spot up threes which he shot 41%.

Suggestion: Renounce Oubre, trade JJ, Tyler Johnson, or TJ Warren to make room for any bigger stars, which limits their ability to do that.

Trade: Spencer Dinwiddie in a TJ Warren and Melton or Okoboe and a second round pick.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just relaying info!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Draft: De'Andre Hunter, four position big that can shoot the three. They aren't sold on Garland or White, but weigh in that White is the better option.

Free Agency: Patrick Beverly, great defense, 44% of his offense is spot up threes which he shot 41%.

Suggestion: Renounce Oubre, trade JJ, Tyler Johnson, or TJ Warren to make room for any bigger stars, which limits their ability to do that.

Trade: Spencer Dinwiddie in a TJ Warren and Melton or Okoboe and a second round pick.

I'm fine with this plan except for the "Suggestion", no way would I clear space before knowing I need it. And I highly doubt we are going to find an interested and better FA than Oubre or maybe even Warren.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Take away renouncing Oubre and trading JJ, and find a way to get a veteran power forward behind whom Hunter can be groomed, and I would be fine with this.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with this plan except for the "Suggestion", no way would I clear space before knowing I need it. And I highly doubt we are going to find an interested and better FA than Oubre or maybe even Warren.

That's the first thing I thought of. Not that either of those guys are world beaters but what are the chances that you end up trading either of those guys and end up with something better? More than likely you get "like" players which makes those moves pointless unless you can get similar guys cheaper which I wouldn't bet on.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was thinking Patrick Beverly part is OK. Couple that with Julius Randle, Coby White (my preference at PG in draft), a rookie PF in the draft, and resign Oubre and Holmes. If we can squeeze in one more vet PF for rebounding, or a really cheap Bender, I am thinking this is the best we can do barring some way of unloading Tyler Johnson in a trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree with this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup if we came away this offseason with:

Sign Beverley
Sign randle
Resign oubre
Draft PGOF or PFOF
Resign bender cheap
Resign Holmes

Leaves logjam at forward even worse but lots of flexibility. If we can’t find long term pg solution Beverley is great stop gap.

Beverley Johnson PGOF
Booker Bridges
Oubre JJ
Randle Warren Bender
Ayton Holmes

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Too bad Troy Daniels is UFA now. However, I would slide Johnson over to SG in your scenario
Yup if we came away this offseason with:

Sign Beverley
Sign randle
Resign oubre
Draft PGOF or PFOF
Resign bender cheap
Resign Holmes

Leaves logjam at forward even worse but lots of flexibility. If we can’t find long term pg solution Beverley is great stop gap.

Beverley PGOF
Booker Bridges
Oubre JJ
Randle Warren Bender
Ayton Holmes

Beverley Melton PGOF
Booker Tyler Johnson Bridges
Oubre JJ
Randle Warren Bender
Ayton Holmes

I have Tyler Johnson back to SG, which is more his position, and Melton as back up PG to start the season, unless Garland or White shows real promise early on.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This was our depth chart at SG last year! We need to move Tyler to SG because we have none of these guys coming back after Booker on the depth chart!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Too bad Troy Daniels is UFA now. However, I would slide Johnson over to SG in your scenario

Beverley Melton PGOF
Oubre JJ
Randle Warren Bender
Ayton Holmes

I have Tyler Johnson back to SG, which is more his position, and Melton as back up PG to start the season, unless Garland or White shows real promise early on.
I thought about that too, but my concern? Look where that puts bridges. He’s got to get minutes. What it really means is that JJ or Warren needs be traded likely.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought about that too, but my concern? Look where that puts bridges. He’s got to get minutes. What it really means is that JJ or Warren needs be traded likely.
I want Bridges at his natural position. I would be amazed if JJ and TJ are BOTH on the roster at the beginning of the season. I think you will see that situation resolve itself. So Warren or JJ will get minutes at PF anyway, especially when the team goes small.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Bridges at his natural position. I would be amazed if JJ and TJ are BOTH on the roster at the beginning of the season. I think you will see that situation resolve itself. So Warren or JJ will get minutes at PF anyway, especially when the team goes small.

Long term I'm not sure what position will be his best. Basketball Reference lists him as a guard-forward in college which pretty much sums him up. Among other things, he needs to get stronger to handle the 3 and he needs to improve his ball handling skills to be an off guard.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Long term I'm not sure what position will be his best. Basketball Reference lists him as a guard-forward in college which pretty much sums him up. Among other things, he needs to get stronger to handle the 3 and he needs to improve his ball handling skills to be an off guard.
That's going to be something to look forward to this next season. Which direction does he go? More bulk and strength? More skills, like ball handling? I am sure even his agent has talked to him about defining his role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beverley Melton PGOF
Oubre JJ
Randle Warren Bender
Ayton Holmes

This would be a huge off season if the Suns can score Oubre, Randle and Beverley in free agency. I fear if the Suns add Randle, Oubre might not be affordable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This would be a huge off season if the Suns can score Oubre, Randle and Beverley in free agency. I fear if the Suns add Randle, Oubre might not be affordable.
I want Holmes back, too! If James Jones can pull all this off, I will really give him props!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Holmes back, too! If James Jones can pull all this off, I will really give him props!

The Suns have to keep Holmes as well or add someone just as good. It is a tall order in free agency to keep/add all of these players. Indeed Jones deserves kudos if he can do this.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like Patrick Beverley, cheaper version of Holiday although a bit older. That intensity and focus could serve the young guys better.

Resign Oubre.

Wishing here but trade Warren for Randle.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd like Patrick Beverley, cheaper version of Holiday although a bit older. That intensity and focus could serve the young guys better.

Resign Oubre.

Wishing here but trade Warren for Randle.
Checked salaries, and Randle is cheaper than TJ! We have to take a throw in back from them.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Exactly. This sounds like the opinion of somebody who didn't watch the Oubre Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler is going to be tough to trade, he's overpaid. To get a better player in return for his salary is tough, we'd probably have to include picks. He's an attractive expiring though that could come handy during the trade deadline, but we really need to move him before the season starts to get a starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. This sounds like the opinion of somebody who didn't watch the Oubre Suns.

Agreed. The Suns take a step back if they lose Oubre. I wish I knew how Jones feels about it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I heard him on the radio saying he really wants to retain him.

This is great to hear. I don't follow Valley radio much so I'm sure I miss a bunch of stuff.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Just throwing this out there.

TJ Warren and Tyler Johnson for Chris Paul works salary wise.

Houston gets a player that would work fantastic with DAntonis system in TJ and a defensive guard that pairs nicely with Harden.

They also get out from under Paul’s huge contract.

It it intriguing if we have to add nothing else. Draft a project pg and sign a pf. I am not saying Houston would do it, I am asking if you would if Houston would.

Not sure what other offers Houston would get for Paul. I could see the Lakers offering a lot more.